If you could get one gadget... (fitbit/nike fuel/etc)

Options
Sorry for posting a lot in the last week, I am really getting fired up about being active for the first time in years, and all of you guys are such a great wealth of knowledge!

I've been using my cheap 16$ pedometer on my quest to walk enough to walk the Appalachian Trail in one year (roughly 12K steps a day), and would really like to upgrade to something more advanced- my parents live 4200 miles away from me, and usually for Christmas, we send each other which item we want for Christmas to eliminate guessing, or shipping something only to find out the other person has it already!

I am thinking about asking for a more advanced gadget than my pedometer to keep me going, and excited! I don't know where to start though, Fitbit, Nike Fuel Band, Polar Heart Rate Monitor, Timex Heart Rate monitor... I know a lot of people on here use different devices, so I would love some recommendations!

Here's some info about me:

- I do not run often, or do high intensity cardio often.
- I track steps per day, every day (with a goal of 12k). Most of these are walking steps. I may START jogging once I get into better shape, but it's not my focus.
- I strength train 3x a week currently, with additional 5-15 minute exercise "sneak-ins" throughout the week.
- I plan to start lifting free weights soon.

I'm really looking for something that will just be an additional motivation to move more, work harder, etc. I am a numbers person, which is why my cheapo pedometer has been such an incredible motivational tool for me- If I set a goal, I am a million times more likely to follow through.

Any recommendations are very welcome! I feel a little lost, and I really appreciate the responses I've gotten on other questions- so many of you know so much, and I really want to get to the point where I do to- no better way than asking questions, right?

ETA: Budget is $150 tops, if I am going to ask for it for Christmas. If you have a rec that is more than that, please still let me know, and I may consider just buying it myself when I am ready to dish out the money. However, I would really like to stay under that amount.

Replies

• bjdavid53
    bjdavid53 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia Fit and really like it. It makes me realize how few calories I burn in a day if I don't walk or get to the gym. The only downside is that you wear it on your arm and I don't want everyone knowing I'm using it. It's okay in the winter when I'm wearing long sleeves. There is also a monthly charge to use their web site for downloading. I'm thinking possibly of buying the new FitBit that is like a bracelet, but I"m not sure if it's as good.
  • pizzmor
    Options
    Might want to most it over here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

But, I had a Fitbit Flex and switched it out for a Fitbit One. The Flex was too inaccurate, and did not have an altimeter for steps climbed. I LOVE my Fitbit!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would ask for the Misfit Shine, in topaz, with the leather wrist band and the necklace accessory. See bestbuy.com. It might run $200 though for all the accessories. But you couldn't pay me to wear a Polar Loop or Nike Fuelband. Fugly.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia Fit and really like it. It makes me realize how few calories I burn in a day if I don't walk or get to the gym. The only downside is that you wear it on your arm and I don't want everyone knowing I'm using it. It's okay in the winter when I'm wearing long sleeves. There is also a monthly charge to use their web site for downloading. I'm thinking possibly of buying the new FitBit that is like a bracelet, but I"m not sure if it's as good.
    [/quote

Just looked it up- it looks great, but I see what you mean about wearing it- it's not even a bracelet, but something to put on your upper arm, right? I live in Hawaii, where I can never really wear long sleeves, and I feel like that would deter me from wearing it consistently- Even when I wear a dress, I can usually clip my pedometer on my underwear (I like really big skirts haha), and be fine, but I would feel a little weird going out in a dress, heels, pearls, and... an arm band. I may keep it in mind for "none going out days" though.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'd get a jump rope
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options
    I would ask for the Misfit Shine, in topaz, with the leather wrist band and the necklace accessory. See bestbuy.com. It might run $200 though for all the accessories. But you couldn't pay me to wear a Polar Loop or Nike Fuelband. Fugly.

Just looked it up- LOVE the look of it!!! But... it looks like it's not available if you have a Samsung Galaxy to sync. If I'm wrong, let me know, but that's a limiter for me if it's true.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options
    Might want to most it over here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

But, I had a Fitbit Flex and switched it out for a Fitbit One. The Flex was too inaccurate, and did not have an altimeter for steps climbed. I LOVE my Fitbit!!

Thanks, I have heard so much good about Fitbits!
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options
    i'd get a jump rope

Smartazz :wink: Have one, own one, enjoy it. I just enjoy gadgets too, and they keep me motivated. I know they don't replace genuine hard work. But they motivate me, and for me that's priceless.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Just looked it up- LOVE the look of it!!! But... it looks like it's not available if you have a Samsung Galaxy to sync. If I'm wrong, let me know, but that's a limiter for me if it's true.

You might be right. I knew there was a reason I didn't already get one! I will probably upgrade to an iPhone in spring when my contract is up, solely because they have better activity tracker that synch to them. Sad!
  • tasha_rena
    tasha_rena Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If your exercise is mainly walking, then the FitBit is an excellent option - it counts steps and tracks your progress in steps, distance, calories burned but doesn't do more complicated things like track your heart rate, etc. I have the Flex and I love it. It really helps keep me active and syncs with MFP.

Edit: No, the Flex does not count flights of stairs climbed the way the One does - not sure about the Force. As somebody who doesn't climb a lot of stairs and am not interested in that data aside from steps, I'm cool with that.
  • Marleen55
    Options
    If your main exercise in walking on trails you could get a GPS watch with heart rate monitor. If I had the money I would get a Suunto Ambit 2 Sapphire. It monitors everything from your heart race, calories, outside temperature, altitude, barometer, VO2 Max, etc. Plus if you get lost it will tell you how to get back. Plus the Suunto website called "Movescount" is a great place to track all your mileage and training. Unfortunately the watch is VERY expensive. Maybe wait until they upgrade to a new version and buy the old one at half price. It's my gadget of the future anyway. The website "DC Rainmaker" has some great reviews of all different kinds of gadgets if you're looking to see what is available.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    Options

You might be right. I knew there was a reason I didn't already get one! I will probably upgrade to an iPhone in spring when my contract is up, solely because they have better activity tracker that synch to them. Sad!
  • tamivroma
    Options
    I JUST (as in ups guy left it for me tonight) got a Body Media Fit....it is charging now. I am excited about it because it even tells you if you got good sleep. It also connects to MFP. I like the idea of knowing how many total calories I burn all day. The interesting thing is that for cardio, I really like my Polar FT7 HRM (heart rate monitor). so I can't wait to see how the Body Media compares for calories burned.
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've just seen http://www.skulpt.me/

Is this for real? Looks awesome if it is!
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    a good hrm is essential: polar hrm - with gps if possible - rcx5 is great but pricey

use gps and pedometer apps on phone then sync everything thru mfp - endomondo is handy for that
    just got a fitbit and it's fun and motivating but not essential
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've just seen http://www.skulpt.me/

Is this for real? Looks awesome if it is!
    Here's a similar device
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/push-the-first-fitness-tracking-device-that-measures-strength

These new fitness devices are used for monitoring body mass. The question with these types of gadgets is how accurate are the measurements. The devices on the market now (Aria scale, Omron BF analyzer, etc.) aren't very accurate because they use biomedical impedance to measure BF%.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for something that's good as an everyday watch too...
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    A barbell that tells me how much mass I've gained... Do they make those? Maybe one that cries tears of joy under all the weight I'm lifting...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    headphones