How to burn more calories

Options
Today I did 45 minutes interval training on my bike. I rode as hard as I could, pushed a big gear for 2minutes then 'rested' with fast RPM for 2 minutes in a light gear. According to MFP calorie charts, I burned 315 measly calories! Seriously, a drop in the bucket. I probably ate at least 600 for dinner alone.

How can I burn more calories in my 45-60 minute work out time allowance?

Replies

• Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You might benefit from wearing a heart rate monitor. This will give you a much more accurate picture of your calorie burn. If you are doing intervals regularly, you'll get more accurate information from a personalized monitor that allows you to enter you vitals into the programming. After you have your numbers, you can go over the data and see what is truly working for you and what types of activities you might want to focus on over time.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Get on your feet. Bikes were created to lessen the load our bodies have to carry when traveling by human effort. Walk/run intervals, mountain climbers, jump squats, walking lunges, skipping rope, punching bag... on yer feet!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    either gain weight or do tougher workouts
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Get on your feet. Bikes were created to lessen the load our bodies have to carry when traveling by human effort. Walk/run intervals, mountain climbers, jump squats, walking lunges, skipping rope, punching bag... on yer feet!

This. Unless you need to do low impact workouts for a health/physical reason, doing something that works more of the body will help with the burn. But honestly, don't expect 600+ calorie burns in 30-40 minutes. It just isn't likely to happen.
  • mommary1
    mommary1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been doing an hr of Zumba and it burns about 595 calories.
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Unless your health prohibits it, I would say hit the treadmill.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    300 and something for 40 minutes is fine. 600 for dinner is also fine. Just do longer if necessary but don't stress your doing it the right way.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    All, thanks, I also do a lot of weights, lunges and stuff on my feet, but I have no way to really figure out those calories from MFP, so I don't look at that part of the workout when counting calories burned. I use the bike because I can't run or jump due to my two decrepit Achilles tendons.

I think I will investigate the HRM, I have never used one before. I take my pulse and it goes up into the 140 range which should be close to my max, but real numbers over time would be good. Any suggestions on a good HRM?

I really want to start doing masters swimming again, just getting my butt up out of bed to jump in a cold pool is the issue! Nothing like an hour swim with a maniacal coach to get you in shape!

I will be on my feet all day today - cooking! Does that count (kidding). I am making dinner for my Dad. This will be his first holiday without my mom who passed away in August.

Happy Thanksgiving all.
  • grace42d
    Options
    either gain weight or do tougher workouts

meshashesha20 - Thanks for the smile! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ...But honestly, don't expect 600+ calorie burns in 30-40 minutes. It just isn't likely to happen.

I agree. With only 7 lbs. to lose, you probably would be hard pressed to burn more than 10 calories per minute at your very highest exertion. Keep on doing what you're doing!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Funny that was brought up. As my weight has gone done little by little over the past few months, I either have to stay on longer for cardio or workout more intensely to burn the same amount of calories. As mentioned the 2 main ways to burn calories is to either workout harder or gain weight. So I decided to gain weight.........................................and bought a 40lbs weight vest. Now when I do cardio (which I despise anyway) I don't have to compromise by doing it longer or harder by just adding in the weight I lost on the vest. I usually use the stepmill or walk/jog.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Today I did 45 minutes interval training on my bike. I rode as hard as I could, pushed a big gear for 2minutes then 'rested' with fast RPM for 2 minutes in a light gear. According to MFP calorie charts, I burned 315 measly calories! Seriously, a drop in the bucket. I probably ate at least 600 for dinner alone.

How can I burn more calories in my 45-60 minute work out time allowance?

What you did is more beneficial for hours after your done. Sometimes all your hard work doesn't show up on the monitor.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I think I will investigate the HRM, I have never used one before. I take my pulse and it goes up into the 140 range which should be close to my max, but real numbers over time would be good. Any suggestions on a good HRM?

Your max would be about 170, I'm older and when I run I routinely have my HR in the 160's most of the time. Polar FT4 is a good basic HRM at a reasonable price.
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This information has helped me out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U36XJaETbh8

And this lady too: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/

Best of luck!
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ok so there's a lot here. First the HRM is a great idea! Have one, love it, and it always gives me better info than those machines. ESPECIALLY the cheaper machines that don't allow you to put in stats. Like someone who is significantly bigger will have bigger burns than what the machines says. Secondly I agree, if you can do an elliptical or treadmill, the more you utilize your body the bigger the burn. Also, you most likely won't get 600 cals in a 30-40 min. I personally usually burn 100 cals per every 10 mins roughly. So if I don't use my HRM that's what I log.

Also, your MAX HEART RATE goes down the older you get. So your max and my max are different. From what I can see judging by your age your aerobic range is 119-129 so you don't have to push your heart that much to still get a burn :)
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The lighter I become, the less cal burn I get. Learn it when I lost 10kg. I now have to either work longer or push my heart rate into the 160s BPM.

Like some mentioned before, work on a threadmill. Walking on incline (no holding onto the handrail) at a moderate speed may burn more than sitting on stationery bike.
  • grace42d
    Options
    Just to clarify the bike thing. I have my road bike set on a trainer, so I have gears and I can stand up to push hard. I was under the impression that since this set up works like a spin bike, that it is a step above a classic big seat stationary bike. Maybe I am wrong about that. Doesn't spinning burn more calories than a stationary bike?
  • Nooda007
    Nooda007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there

While MFP is great for logging your food intake it is not accurate when it comes to working out your calorie expenditure. I wear a Polar F60 Heart rate monitor for all my sessions to get the accurate calorie count. it is difficult to gauge how much you burned in one session as who is to know how high your intensity was for each minute of the workout.

I am 83KG and I have to spin a lot as I have dodgy knees and play sport so I need to maintain my knees and reduce my impact level through out the week. On MFP it says I burn 450 cals in 30 min where as the reality is I only burn 200-250 and that's me really working on the highest resistance! Calisthenics which is basically chin ups and press ups for 60 mins I burn 150-200 MFP gives me like 500 back!!!

Get a heart rate monitor!
    hope that helps and keep going! :-)
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Barbell Complexes or any other circuit based workout. Tabata protocol workouts work well too.
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with using a bike so long as you get your heart rate up (measure with hrm), especially if you have an ankle issue like me :) Mixing up different exercises helps as well.