Cold...how do you handle it?

TBHunter
TBHunter Posts: 28
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I HATE the cold, and have a hard time staying warm...but living in Canada it one of the things I have to deal with :(

What are somethings that you guys do to stay active (outside) when it is cold? I HATE to walk/run on a treadmill, so I don't do it unless I really can walk/run outside!

Things I do include:
-Layers of clothing (lots if them, 6-9 depending on the temp)
-Scaf over my mouth/nose, Cold air hurt my lungs
-Proper warm up and cool down
-Warm water when I come in

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Sounds like you already know what to do. I also layer, especially 2 pr sweats so my legs don't freeze. I don't live where it's as cold as Canada but last year when I was losing weight I walked when it was 8 or 9 degrees outside so now I can't use the excuse that it's too cold to walk when it's only around freezing:)
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Im Canadian too. Dont be that cold on this end, depends on where you live I guess. I dont do much walking anyhow. Workout videos like "Walk away the pounds" is good for indoor excercise.
  • i know this isnt any help but be thankful that you have cold weather and not 110 in the shade heat in the summers like i do. its impossible to go exercising in that kind of weather because unfortunately for me i cant run naked! XD

and it sounds like you already have a pretty good idea of what you need to to to exercise during the cold months! when i still lived where it actually got cold i just used to put on my thermal underwear under some comfy thick sweats, my thickest hoodie with my thermal underwear shirt under that, a scarf, a hat, ear warmers and gloves and went walking at night (yes i know thats when its colder.....i'm kinda nuts what can i say?)

why do you still live in Canada if you hate the cold!? O.o?
  • I HATE the cold, and have a hard time staying warm...but living in Canada it one of the things I have to deal with :(

What are somethings that you guys do to stay active (outside) when it is cold? I HATE to walk/run on a treadmill, so I don't do it unless I really can walk/run outside!

Things I do include:
    -Layers of clothing (lots if them, 6-9 depending on the temp)
    -Scaf over my mouth/nose, Cold air hurt my lungs
    -Proper warm up and cool down
    -Warm water when I come in

I'm Canadian too...I also hate winter lol. This is my first time losing weight and really being active so I'm not sure how I'm gonna handle it but I really enjoy going to the gym. I don't do outside sports. I guess you just have to force yourself to get to the gym and then work it out while you're there. I really like the eliptical...the treadmill is alright but the best thing to do is get your headphones and watch tv to pass the time cause it can get boring. What about classes like Zumba or a spin class...a lot of people on here tend to like those....

Also...my hubby and I were considering doing P90X...especially once it gets REALLY cold.

Side note: DancingDreamer, we live in Canada because we are Canadians and although it may get cold here it gets HOT here too. We get 110 heat summers too.
  • I live in Maine where the winters can get cold and we usually get a quite a bit of snow. I usually like layers as well, fleece works great under something to block wind. As soon as I start to get warm I unzip the outer layer to let cold air in and cool off to try to avoid sweating (thats when you will get really cold, if you sweat and then stop whatever you are doing). I really enjoy snowshoeing, cross country skiing, downhill skiing and skating. All will provide a good work out. If you get a lot of snow, snowshoeing is an extremely good core workout as well! Good luck and enjoy the winter!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    I am from Georgia, but had to move to a cold weather city for a few years. I DO NOT handle cold weather very well, but I figured out a few things that helped.

1 - A good warm hat.
    2 - Good warm gloves
    3 - A good thin outer layer that is windproof (absolutely crucial when you are running! Mine was also water proof, bought it at REI!)
    4 - Good shoes and good socks
    5 - A thin layer of long underwear that are very warm none the less. Actually I found some silk long underwear at REI that were amazingly thin and comfortable but kept me toasty warm.

Basically I discovered that even though I had been wearing as many layers as would physically go on my body, I was still always cold. Once I invested in several key items that are made for such cold weather activity I only needed two layers on bottom and three on top (including bra). Being able to have fewer layers is a huge help when trying to exercise.

Also, make sure you get something that wicks the moisture away from your body. You will heat up if you are running, and you don't want the sweat to stick to your body. If you have sweat on your skin it will give you chills and again make you cold.

The scarf over your mouth and nose are great too!!

Oh, I also think you may want to find a variety of workout dvds that you like, because there will be some days that the weather just won't let you go jogging.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    I too am walking and trying to jog in the cold so this information will be very helpful!!
This discussion has been closed.