Make it STOP!!

Options
So this girl at my work as started to take Phentermine about 3 months ago, she is down 34lbs. and Bragging about it. I have been trying to lose weight since April and I am only down 17. :-(

I know Phentermine is not healthy and it is basically legalized speed. I know she will gain all her weight back and some more, but it is so frustrating to hear people congratulate her when all she does is abuse her body. I work hard and I am not getting anywhere.

Gah! I just wish everyone would shut up. it's like praising the kid in class who got an A on a test when he cheated!

Sorry just needed to vent!

Replies

• BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just keep telling urself that u r doing it the right way :-) I myself dont believe in all these "diet pills" and "fasting" I believe its just bout eating healthier, limiting ur portions, and exercising.. Keep up the good work hun 17 pounds is a GREAT accomplishment!! :flowerforyou:
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    So true. Most people think it doesn't matter how you lose the fat or how fast. Even the people who do all the plans on special foods. Do they lose weight, yeppers, most times. But ask then a year later if they had to start all over again or was able to keep it off.

Bottom line is, if you don't learn how to live a healthy lifestyle of a thin person, you will always end up going back to being a fat one.
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    I hear you. You can say the same thing about other situations though. Like how is it that the skinny girl can eat junk food all day long and not gain weight? Some things in life aren't fair. But just ignore the other girl. It's a test to see if you are committed to living a healthy lifestyle. Don't give up- stay strong and switch up your eating and exercise plans and you will see results! Just be patient!! I know it's hard, heck I've been using this site for a while and just started to see movement on the scale. It will come!
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My friend did the same thing Took meds went on a rediculous diet with little to no nutrition in it, lost a ton of weight. I hate saying it but part of me was extrmely jealous that nobody had notice the few pounds that have come off and that I have kept off. I laugh now it was silly of me to feel that way several months after being at her goal weight she stoped what she was doing and gained all the weight back and then some. I now feel proud that I am doing it the right way. I just keeping reminding myself. The grass is always greener somewhere else! However if I care for my yard and make an effort everyday my grass will get greener and greener. Plus my grass may be greener then someone elses I just having walked aroung the neighbor hood enough to notice :happy:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    You are doing it the right way!!! Healthy Lifestyle change It takes longer but it lasts longer as well. A year from now you will have lost more and not be starting over again. I know it is hard. But slow and sure wins the race.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who used that pill the Kardashians use to lose weight and she got really sick and went to the hospital one night. I know losing weight is a slow and sometimes painful process, but I don't understand why people want a quick fix. You are right she will probably gain it all back because she isn't sticking to a healthy lifestyle. Ignore everyone and be proud of your accomplishments! :)
  • tater8589
    Options
    Keep in mind, that you are not only doing it the right way so it will last, but you are most likely gaining muscle and toning so that when you reach your goal you will look good. The other girl won't have the tone and may look good in her skinny clothes, but what about the skin under that. And is her body munching on her muscle and gonna leave the fat where it is... 17lbs is great, Keep up the good work. :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So this girl at my work as started to take Phentermine about 3 months ago, she is down 34lbs. and Bragging about it. I have been trying to lose weight since April and I am only down 17. :-(

I know Phentermine is not healthy and it is basically legalized speed. I know she will gain all her weight back and some more, but it is so frustrating to hear people congratulate her when all she does is abuse her body. I work hard and I am not getting anywhere.

Gah! I just wish everyone would shut up. it's like praising the kid in class who got an A on a test when he cheated!

Sorry just needed to vent!

If I am thinking about the same thing, it can speed up your heartrate, that in turn, speeds up your metabolism and so you burn more calories and lose more weight.

It is just not worth it, weight loss or not. I know of somebody, whose heartrate rose to 224 per minute during exercise who took something very similar.

17lbs weightloss in your own case, is not to be sniffed at and you are not putting your health (or life) at risk in the process). Why hanker after something that is downright dangerous?

Forget what that girl is doing, just concentrate on your own progress. Keep within your calories and do your exercise, get enough sleep and do not get dehydrated - personally, I cannot see what the problem is with keeping to this. For some people the weightloss may not be fast enough, but then again, at least you are healthy and not putting yourself at a stupid risk.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing you. She will gain the weight back before March of 2011.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I end up expressing this at least once a day...
    Weight loss is not your goal....being healthier is your goal.
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do understand how you feel. It isn't fair when someone else by 'cheating' - in all it's many varieties - gets all the admiration. But 17 lbs is fantastic!! And I read an article in Awake! magazine that helped me recently that said that one of the ways to lose contentment in life is to compare yourself to others - because a. you'll set yourself up for disappointment, or b. you'll become too proud of yourself, so either way it doesn't help! I really needed that advice since I have a tendency to do that. :) You will be very happy when you reach your goal that you did it, fair and square, and that no little part of your mind will ever feel guilty for trashing your body to get there.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I end up expressing this at least once a day...
    Weight loss is not your goal....being healthier is your goal.
    Exactly!! I know how irritating it can be, I have one of those "friends" she lost over 100 lbs thru gastric and I do realize she still had to work at it but not as hard as I did to lose 80 lbs the healthy drug and surgery free way. She dresses very provocative at times and basically asks for compliments then takes them without saying she had gastric she lets people think she did it all on her own. This irritates the crap out of me!!!! To be honest she lost the weight so quickly and still has lots of saggy even after a tummy tuck that she doesn't look as good as she could had she gone slow. Remember slow and steady wins the race and you are well on your way to the finish line!!!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Very true, anything that is worth it does not come easy!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,715 Member
    Options
    I do understand how you feel. It isn't fair when someone else by 'cheating' - in all it's many varieties - gets all the admiration. But 17 lbs is fantastic!! And I read an article in Awake! magazine that helped me recently that said that one of the ways to lose contentment in life is to compare yourself to others - because a. you'll set yourself up for disappointment, or b. you'll become too proud of yourself, so either way it doesn't help! I really needed that advice since I have a tendency to do that. :) You will be very happy when you reach your goal that you did it, fair and square, and that no little part of your mind will ever feel guilty for trashing your body to get there.
    I really like this response. :flowerforyou:
  • doris_day
    Options
    A few years ago, a girl at my gym almost died. Her mom found her in the shower - she had collapsed after taking some of those crazy pills. You're doing the right thing. She has permanently damaged her heart and she was in her 20's!

That's not what you want. Yes she lost 40 pounds and looked great but that can't be worth it. We never saw her back at the gym again. You're doing it the right way.

And kudos to you for losing so much weight the right way! Great job.
  • jdpatton
    Options
    Angi,
    Just keep telling yourself that you're not only losing weight, you're getting healthy!!! I tried a drug containing Ephedrine a few years ago. I was constantly dizzy, very shaky, and had really low blood pressure. It is so not worth it.
  • jsheph1
    jsheph1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd pray for that girl each night that she continues losing weight, that she gets healthier, that she becomes content with her body and the bodies of thise around her. I guarantee your resentment will go away. Remember she is not losing weight to upset you, she is trying to feel better about herself. This isn't a contest. I don't think its healthy for you to compare or to feel superior because your doing it healthily, and especially not to wish she gains it back in a year. If you are concerned about the side effects of the pills you should discuss it with her.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing! Those pounds you lost were done in the best way - a nice, slow consistent way. Those pounds are the ones that stay off for good. Just think of all the other awesome things you are doing for your body health-wise. Keep up all the good work!

L.