Question for the XXXXL crowd

Options
Hello Gents,

I've finally reached the tipping point at 400 pounds, and I need to get back in shape. I'm a former football player and athelete who has gained 150 pounds after getting married and having kids. I do not know how I need to work out at 6'5" 400lbs. I went to the gym and lifted weights and did cardio, and after doing the treadmill it felt like my knees and back were on fire. I'm only 29, but I don't think my 400 pound body can handle the stress that my 250 pound body use to be able to handle.

Should I lose 50 pounds and then try it again? Or are there some fat buring workouts that i can do that won't stress my king size body?

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    This book is going to help you out a lot. Pick up a copy of "New Rules of Lifting". It will get you started with the kind of basic info you need.

As for exercise and what's best, you might want to get a physical done to make sure you're set for working with weights.

That said, and I mean this sincerely, for the time being you should probably take the weight training light at first (though if your doctor says you're good to go, definitely start). You've already got an extra 150 lbs on you, and loading up the bar could give your body more than it's bargaining for on the squat and deadlift.

Let us know how it goes, but see a doctor first to make sure you're in good shape for that kind of work.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started at 300+ lbs, and that is double my "suggested" weight. I started with just walking and going the distance I could stand, even it was a SLOW 1 mile (25 minutes!) Then I built on from there.

Weight lifting is great, just don't push yourself too soon to lift/run/exercise like you did when you were much lighter. Build your way to it.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Remember that this is a journey... So, You are making your muscles work in ways they haven't in a while, but your mind still thinks you're a lean 24yo (I'm guessing, cause its what I do.) I suggest trying the bike instead of treadmill to reduce stress on your back until your conditioning catches up. I would also focus on core (my mistake.) This will allow you to better load bare your weight, and add strenght to your lifting. And lastly, stretch. Lifting shortens muscles and pulls on everything, including your lower back causing pain.
  • gmhaggie06
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help and support. I think I might try to the couch to 5k, and maybe get to where I can run a 5k, and then hopefully by that time I'll be able to lift weights, if my doctor clears me.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi

Have you thought about swimming? it will give you great exercise whilst protecting your joints?

The couch to 5k is a great program, I am on the week four, but I do find it hard on my joints - maybe you would be better walking to start out as "nolonger XXL" did, which will build up your fitness before you embark on running x

good luck x
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started at nearly 500 lbs. Aside from doing weights, at the time my only form of cardio was walking. I started out slow but as the months went by and the weight came off, I started challenging myself with hills and stairs. As I got closer to the lower 400's range, I did tiny spurts of 15-20 seconds of jogging. My advice is to look into getting a good pair of shoes for heavier people. The running shoe industry calls them motion control/stability shoes. New Balance and Brooks are 2 good brands that make these types of shoes. They normally have a ton of cushioning and support which makes a world of difference.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    4XL and 460 pounder checking in. I lift weights. I enjoy it and it's nice to have something I'm confident at and not terrible at (like aerobic exercise). I would not give up strength training even as a bigger person. I had gone from 384 to 240 before and I had tons of loose skin and was incredibly weak. That probably would've been reduced if I had actually lifted.

I'm starting to work up to walking a 5K now. That's after not being able to complete more than 1/4 of the first C25K workout. If you can do C25K I say have at it! But do at least two days a week to strength training as well.
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I wasnt quite as heavy as you guys but I was close. I took up a gym membership at the start of this year and just started walking on the treadmill. It was really slow, something like 3-4kph (2mph) and only for 10-15mins. I was sore and and in extreme discomfort initially, but even after a few days, it did get better. Your body does get use to the exercise.

I've lost nearly 100lbs now and am walking at about 5-6kph for 30mins and barely raising my heart rate. There's no secret at our weight, just get active, whatever you do, raise that heart rate.

I would suggest finding a gym that has recumbent exercise bikes. Those are the ones you sit down in and peddle. Pretty comfortable for your size.

Hey all the best man, add me if you want to chat.
  • kjdunn68
    kjdunn68 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started by just walking as much as I could. I increased distance up to one mile then I started to increase my speed. I still do not run but I try to walk as fast as I can. I have just started to add in other exercises to help out.
  • benum21121
    Options
    I'm 6'4" and I was up to 355 pounds at my heaviest. I started walking and counting calories first, and the weight started coming off pretty quickly. I've gotten down to 245 by eventually mixing weights, running, biking, and a bit of swimming into the mix when I was able to complete those tasks.

Listen to your body, man. If it's telling you to hold up, then hold up. I wish you the best of luck, and I KNOW you'll be successful!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    When I started at 340, I found walking and the elliptical machine to be good ways to start. I'm really grateful for the elliptical machine, it provided high calorie burns even at the beginning when I could only go at the lowest setting for about 2.5 mph.

If you're up for it, do lift it you can. As a former athlete, you've no doubt got a lot of good lean muscle mass and it would be a shame to lose it. Also don't forget to consume about 1 g protein per pound of lean weight for muscle maintenance.
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    It can be tough man, but you'll get there. start with minor things, stairs over elevator, walking over driving..etc and eat right in calorie defect. And you'll get there. IT's not a sprint, its a marathon. You'll have bad days but you'll have good days too. Make small achievable goals ie; mine was from 107kg > to hit 100kgs.. Get a PT and he should work out a system where your being active but not over doing it either.

Best of luck and hope it works out man.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started at 303lbs (5'6" woman) and started with swimming and walking for a few weeks. I then started C25K but far more slowly than the 9 week programme. I did 1 session a week and iced my knees afterwards. In between I did weights, elliptical trainer and more swimming. I'm now 77lbs (and counting!) lighter, do weekly 5km Park Runs plus 1-2 treadmill or outdoor runs upto 9km (working my way up slowly), still do weights and elliptical in between but swim only for relaxation now. I'm spending News Eve doing a 5km Race, am signed up for a 10k and half marathon next year. Go for it! :)
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Try jogging in the pool.
    Provided there's not an embarassment factor ( and there shouldn't be ).
    There's less impact on your joints, the water provides extra resistance and when you're abosolutely punctured, you can lie back and relax in the water.
    You'll feel daft at first, but it really is a very effective exercise.
  • c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started at 485.5lbs. I have bad knees so I stick to low-impact cardio exercises; swimming, biking, elliptical. I also do strength training about 4-5 times/week.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help and support. I think I might try to the couch to 5k, and maybe get to where I can run a 5k, and then hopefully by that time I'll be able to lift weights, if my doctor clears me.

Given that your knees and back weren't happy with the treadmill I'd probably hold off on the C25K (and I'm a runner....I love seeing people start to run).

There are lower impact forms of aerobic exercises that may be more suitable for now (rowing, biking, swimming etc) and slowly add walking until you can (pain free) handle a few miles at a brisk (say 4mph) pace. At that point you may want to start adding some short, slow running intervals.

Unless your doctor has other ideas there's no reason to avoid strength training (you may want to modify some of the lifts to reduce strain on you knees and keep the weights reasonably light for now).

Good luck!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Never been over 300. 300 is my highest weight. I suggest you slowly build your strength up with walking, biking or swimming. C25k is hard. I find it misleading. I had been active for over an year and it kicked my butt.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I started off closer to 400 than 300 and I'm going to echo the swimming recommendation. I lost the lion's share of my weight by swimming alone. If you're not into swimming, walking/jogging/etc in the poo is great l for less impact on your joints. If you don't have access to a pool, start with walking and work your way up but getting a medical professional's advice/opinion is huge. The excess weight is very tough on our bodies, and let's face it, we're not kids anymore. I'm so glad to see that you said "if my doctor clears me."

You didn't put the weight on in a day, it won't come off in a day either. I firmly believe that the most important secret to all of this is to keep going and not give up. You can do it! Figure out what works for you and do it.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I would still try and walk on the treadmill. Just start slowly. Your body will gradually build up to it.