When should I stop losing weight?

Options
Hey guys,
So when I started I was at 98KG (216 lbs) and am currently at 85 Kg (187 lbs) according to some websites and some sources after inputting my following information: Height: 68.9 inches (175 cm (5' 9")) Age 21 Male.
It said that the following:

Peoples Choice Ideal Weight: 173 lbs
Medical Recommendation: 128 - 169 lbs
Metropolitan Life tables: 150 - 163 lbs
Other IBW formulas: 155 lbs

So after seeing this I got a bit confused but then I thought, maybe 150 lbs sounds like a good idea? But the question is, I am trying to both lose weight and build muscles, like when I go to the gym I spend 2 hours consisting of 1 hour on the elliptical and 1 hour on the machines and weights.
So now I started to wonder more, should I stop at a certain weight so that I build muscles? I mean should I be like aiming to reach 150 lbs for now and when I reach it then I start to reduce the elliptical and focus almost completely on the weights and muscles? or do you guys have another plan in mind?

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I read and responded to your previous thread.

You are not going to build any muscle when you are only eating 700 calories a day and exercising 2+ hrs a day.
  • 7L551
    7L551 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

You are not going to build any muscle when you are only eating 700 calories a day and exercising 2+ hrs a day.

Agreed, but that is what am trying to ask here, my current food style is only for losing fat obviously, but my question is when do I stop it? cuz eventually as you said I need to eat more healthy food and protein for muscle building. I just need to know when XD
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Agreed, but that is what am trying to ask here, my current food style is only for losing fat obviously, but my question is when do I stop it? cuz eventually as you said I need to eat more healthy food and protein for muscle building. I just need to know when XD

With your current plan of 700 cals you will not just lose fat, you'll likely lose muscle too.

No one can answer when to stop, apart from to say when you are a healthy weight. Otherwise stop when you are happy with your weight loss.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough to fuel your lifting, you'll notice better changes in your body more quickly. I know that from personal experience, as do so many people on this site. You can still lose weight and do it, and the cool part is that the weight lost is actually fat.

So it's too hard to say. The LBM matters too much to the equation. I'd ask for recommendations on doing a bodybuilding cut, probably. If you have good muscle now and keep it, you'd probably want to stop at the high end of all those ranges before you bulk. If you don't keep your muscle, it's just a different thing altogether.
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    I'm nearing the same moment too mate. I'm at 90kgs and that was my originally goal. From 107kgs. now I want to hit 87kgs. Just so from there I can start upping my calories bit by bit and my protein so I can put muscle mass on. The reason I choose 87kg is because I don't have a lot of muscle mass atm, and my BMI @ 87kgs would be dead in the middle 22.5 BMI healthy scale. From there I was to try and put on LBM up to 97kgs. So say 50/50 fat/LBM I'm hope to cut again after that so I then sit at 92kgs with that extra 5kgs muscle mass. Assess from there.

Also it depends on your goals. I want to be fitter so I can preform better at basketball. But want muscle so I'm a beast on the court and can't be pushed around :D
  • 7L551
    7L551 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing the same moment too mate. I'm at 90kgs and that was my originally goal. From 107kgs. now I want to hit 87kgs. Just so from there I can start upping my calories bit by bit and my protein so I can put muscle mass on. The reason I choose 87kg is because I don't have a lot of muscle mass atm, and my BMI @ 87kgs would be dead in the middle 22.5 BMI healthy scale. From there I was to try and put on LBM up to 97kgs. So say 50/50 fat/LBM I'm hope to cut again after that so I then sit at 92kgs with that extra 5kgs muscle mass. Assess from there.

Also it depends on your goals. I want to be fitter so I can preform better at basketball. But want muscle so I'm a beast on the court and can't be pushed around :D

Agreed, we both have very similar goals :)
    My aim to honestly just look and feel good. I don't want to build huge huge muscles like the guys who spend 4 hours at the gym everyday :P I want to be muscular but in the same time not extreme. To have six abs and good muscles in over all body and when I reach that I might consider bulking even more. but that would be my initial goal XD
    My very first goal was to reach 85 KG and I achieved that from 98 and now am thinking to reach 75 but it seems to be waaay much more harder so I am rethinking my strategies and maybe I should do more cardio BUT if I do then I might stop the 1 hour elliptical :O

argh this is hard XD
  • Jamie_Baby1
    Options
    Eating only 700 calories a day and working out that much could easily give you a heart attack. And you're loosing weight sure but when you go to gain muscle you will have no strength due to your poor body feeding off your muscle to survive.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

My very first goal was to reach 85 KG and I achieved that from 98 and now am thinking to reach 75 but it seems to be waaay much more harder so I am rethinking my strategies and maybe I should do more cardio BUT if I do then I might stop the 1 hour elliptical :O

argh this is hard XD

As I said in your last thread.... Your calorie intake is already too low, and you are still contemplating ramping up the cardio.
    I hoped my experience in how not to do it, might influence you. Eat a reasonable amount of calories, if you do a bunch of cardio, eat most or all of the those calories back.... and pick up some weights.

Otherwise, you'll wind up looking like me.

mr-burns-triceps.jpg