"Types" of food to eat

Options
I like this site, but I haven't changed the "types" of food I have been eating too much. I am still around or slightly below my calorie goal each day, but I'm not sure if I am actually going to lose weight by still eating the things I like. I have lost 10 lbs within the last 3 months and I have been eating the same way I am now, but not eating as much at each setting. Now, I fill up quicker when I eat. I am out and about a lot and really eat too much fast food. I am trying to lessen it (usually), but I enjoy it soooo much. My husband is deployed, so cooking for myself is blah. I really am trying to look at calories on containers when I shop and such, but I am curious if I can go on like I am and still get down from 192 to 165 by May 2011? I need to be more disciplined and I hope that because I am aware of that things may slowly change for the better. Anyone have any comments they would like to share with me?

Replies

• 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    You make a great point. You can be slim, but dreadfully unhealthy if your food choices are poor. Although we all want to lose the weight to look great, it will be so much better for you if you try to improve the quality of the foods you eat. I am struggling with this too, so I'm making changes gradually. Good Post!:flowerforyou:
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    you may lose weight but it will be slower..you really need to see that this is a lifestyle change. If you must eat out then go online and look at the nutrition for the restaurant and choose lower calorie foods...french fries are a no no and any fried food is generally off limits. I eat more vegetables...and fresh foods...and prepare dishes a low calorie way. I have found that for the time ive been on here that I cant eat the greasy fried foods I used to, they make me sick. I hope this helps. I just know for me I cant do it and I think of the calories in every thing I put in my mouth. Drink plenty of water and exercise...that is really the key...take in less and burn more. Good luck on your weight loss journey...you can do it! But you have to have your mind right....no one can do it but you,,,,,:drinker: :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    You make a great point. You can be slim, but dreadfully unhealthy if your food choices are poor. Although we all want to lose the weight to look great, it will be so much better for you if you try to improve the quality of the foods you eat. I am struggling with this too, so I'm making changes gradually. Good Post!:flowerforyou:

this is so true......but don't try to go from fast food to super healthy all at once.....start by adding one new healthy food at a time and leaving out one fast food meal a week and then two and so on......I made all my changes by taking baby steps and now I eat different from what I did before.

while your husband is deployed, try making one healthy meal at a time to practice the healthy cooking you will do when he comes home :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I believe the types of food we eat are very important not only to weight loss but to our overall health, which in the long run is way more important, especially since you have a young child. Try to make some changes weekly to move away from processed food and to start eating more fresh vegetables and fruits and lean meats and dairy; small changes over a period of time can lead to big changes! I liked the previous post about you learning to make some healthy meals in preparation for your husband's return! That would be a nice personal challenge you could take on. If you haven't cooked much, look at some of Rachael Ray's recipes as they all take 30 minutes or less and are generally healthy. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey. Your weight loss goal sounds very doable, but it is up to you to make it happen!
  • katsmeow77
    Options
    Thank you ladies! Everything I read makes sense to me. I also like the idea of making one healthy meal per week to adjust to learning to cook better things. I cook, but most things are the good 'ole fashion country meals (lots of butter and cheese). I think I might be becoming lactose intolerant too. Lately, I feel sick if I eat too much dairy products. This may be a good thing because it helps keep me from some of the things I love most, but are not that great for me.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You can do healthy using very quick and easy methods

Bake seafood topped with a couple of tblsp on your favorite low cal salad dressing - sprinkle with panko bread crumbs
    Turkey burgers with reduced fat cheese on an Oroweat/Arnold sandwich thin
    Stove top Grill pan and chicken breast, pork chop - season and grill
    Steam veggies with some chopped garlic for flavor
    Make wraps with low carb tortillas, turkey, hummus and tomato and lettuce - or use Laughin Cow Light cheeses as the spread instead of hummus
    Baked sweet potato - needs nothing on it!
    Roast a half turkey breast in the oven - great for sandwiches or wraps the following days

I am sure some others have great ideas for you too!~
  • wanderinghorn
    Options
    It's so hard when your spouse is deployed! I congratulate you on losing weight and focusing on health! It is so much easier to lie in a useless heap. I looked my best when mine came home (I am assuming that is May for you). Having that time frame was a great motivator!No one says you have to cook. I'd just eat cereal for dinner many days which was great. I made a nice hot lunch for the kids..something healthy..and just ate a light dinner. That took the pressure off my self imposed requirement to cook dinner (when it is time for him to come home for the day and you are so exhausted-why push yourself-that is why you'll eat out). You are doing an awesome job! Keep it up! Keep in mind that he will be so happy to see you it won't matter what you look like so don't beat yourself up! Good luck and I'll keep your family in my prayers!