ZUMBA question! :o)

Options
For all of you Zumba experts out there, tomorrow I'm going to my first real live Zumba class: W00T!!

This leads me to my first question...has anyone done the actual Zumba® DVD's and ALSO gone to a class? Are the two similar or is there a big difference? So far I've only been doing the DVD's and while I'm madly in love my longest duration is 40 minutes...lol...I'm a weakling I know...I just wonder if the class is going to be even harder or what I'm in for. Either way I'm really excited!

Also, what do you all log your workout as? I did a search for this question and saw there is some sort of a "dance" option under exercise. I figured I'd throw it out there again since I was asking my above Zuuuuumba question. I literally say that as I type it. Just thought you should know... :o)

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    first off, you'll have a blast!! I've never done the dvd's but I've seen the info mercials..

Your not gonna know what the differences will be until you get there.. every instructor is different. For comparison... the classes I go to seems to be much more advanced than the dvd's. They always say you just need your room to do it, but in the classes I go to we use the whole studio! lol. Either way you'll love it, just take it easy til you build your endurance, that's what I did!
  • sturtle
    sturtle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have only ever done a class not DVDs and I log mine under aerobics (dance) although Zumba can work off more, my instructor told me that you can burn off around 800 calories in 60 minutes but that has to be high intensity all the time, 60 minutes of aerobics on here gives you about 450 calories which is about right including the warm up and cool down. I love Zumba!
  • teresam27
    Options
    I too love Zumba. I have never done the DVD's but take a class once a week and it's awesome. It's a full hour with breaks short enough for the instructors to change their music. I usually get a drink of water during that time. I've noticed that my stamina has definitely improved since I've started, but I also walk on a treadmill and do other cardio things at our local fitness center. You'll love the Zumba class. Good luck and let me know how you did!!!
  • ariellespiller
    Options
    Yay!! Zumba in a class is so much more fun than watching an exercise video!
    I used my heart rate monitor last week, and it said I burned 828 calories in about 50 minutes, including warm-up and stretching. That was pretty high intensity the whole time. Hope that helps!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The basic vocabulary of steps should be the same, but each instructor will have their own individual flavour.

Have a blast and keep moving.:drinker:
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    I've been to a couple classes as I just started getting serious about my fitness last week. I looooooooooove it!
    Most the time I'm trying to keep up and not go the opposite direction of the class :D

I just wear my regular work out clothes. work out pants or sweat pant capris and a tank top :)
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    I've never done the DVDs but I go to a 60-minute class once a week. I log it as the dance option, but I wear a HRM to mine so that I know exactly what I'm burning. I get anywhere between 505-600 calories, depending on if I know the routines well or not.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    :love: :love: I have done both Classes and DVD's.... :love: :love:

I LOVE BOTH.... however the classes win hands down.... but they are very similar, some of the songs are exactly like the Dvd's and some are slightly different... the class will probably have some other songs not on the Dvd's too... it mainly depends on the instructor. :love: :smooched:

I log mine as "Aerobic - High Intensity" :embarassed: as it was within 1 Cal of what my HRM said i burnt. :drinker:

I just wear 3/4 pants, Tank top and dance / jazz shoes... they are better than runners for dancing but runners still do the job nicely!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I was excited before...but now...BOOO YAH! I have my 3/4th pants ready, tank top and sports bra ready! I need to get a water bottle and figure out what shoes to wear as my gym shoes are MIA. I have plenty of sneakers but not really gym shoes...

Seriously...so excited... :o) And Thanks everyone!!! :o)
  • size3again
    size3again Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do the zumba classes at Golds 2 to 3 times a week. Lots of fun!!! I put it under "Belly Dancing".