Walking With Leg Weights

Options
Hi :smile:

Does anyone know how to calculate energy burn when walking with leg weights of 1.3kg each (fit around the ankle)?

Cheers in advance.

Replies

• JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile:

Does anyone know how to calculate energy burn when walking with leg weights of 1.3kg each (fit around the ankle)?

Cheers in advance.

*Tumble Weed Blows By* .... anyone? Surely one of you fitness experts out there can give me a clue :tongue:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't know. But I've heard it increases joint injuries and isn't a real good idea.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ankle-weights/AN01867
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to invest in a heart rate monitor and compare walking (at the same speed and distance) with and without them to determine the differential.

The use of ankle weighs walking and/or running is controversial in respect to benefit.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ankle-weights/AN01867

http://walking.about.com/od/gear/bb/weights.htm

you're probably better off to ditch the weights and just to pick up the pace
  • JudieJudes
    Options
    Thank you Walking Along & Brian

I have been walking a while and have now lost my bottom :( I just wanted to add some resistance to build my butt back up :)

However I dont want to injure myself in the process.

x
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I have been walking a while and have now lost my bottom :( I just wanted to add some resistance to build my butt back up :)

Squats!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Squats!

Deadlifts! !
  • fatguylink
    fatguylink Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was told in the military that walking with legs weights increases your chances of injury. They recommended using a weighted pack. If you do this MFP exercise does have a calorie calculation for hiking using a 10 or 20 lb pack,
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Squats!

Deadlifts! !

^Agreed with these two. If you really want to tighten up your glutes, weighted leg weights are going to do it. Look into squats, deadlifts, lunges, and hip thrusts/glute bridges.

Know there are a variety of each. It's preferable to do them weighted and stick to heavier weight at lower reps (5-12 reps). You can look into barbell routines or there are quite a few dumbbell versions. If you don't have equipment, Amazon has a dumbbell set with plates from Cap Barbell for $50 right now. It'll get you started and you can slowly buy heavier plates :)

Examples of some of the different types of squats, deadlifts, and lunges:
    Forward/Backward lunges
    Bulgarian Squats
    Goblet Squats
    Pistol squats
    Plie/Sumo Squats
    Romanian Dumbbell Deadlifts
    Single Leg Deadlifts
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, it's not the best idea to walk with leg weights. A weighted vest would be a much better option.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JudieJudes
    Options
    Thank you lot ... youre awesome :)

I am already quite 'squat' at 4 foot 11 and a little bit and my vest is already weighted being a 34 ff lol ;)

Seriously thank you for your suggestions ... I suppose I knew I needed to widen my activities to include weighted squats and lunges. I was trying to 'multi-task' as I already spend between 1 - 2 hours per day walking doggies.

:flowerforyou:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. You should never walk with weights on your legs. It leads to hip and knee injuries and is really ineffective at building muscle.