No Flour No Sugar?

Options
Has anyone tried a diet without any flour or sugar?

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I dont have any 'normal' flour as I have coeliacs. It depends what you class as flour? And why no sugar or flour?
  • Holly_k88
    Holly_k88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    All flour.. All sugar.
    Its all about complex and simple carbs, flour and sugar are the simple carbs. Quick energy that causes cravings and bloat :(
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My friend has. She also has celiacs and she basically decided to cut anything with sugar, ate normally otherwise, and lost about 100lbs. But then in the process she also had to have major surgery because of a unrelated tumor in her abdomen so I think the pain, meds and having to basically sit for 6 months also helped shed the pounds and kept the appetite under control. Apparently having an ab muscle removed is the worst kind of surgery you have have, its a 6-12 month recovery.

I think the sugar is trickier than the flour. I'm also gluten free and my consumption of bread type products is infrequent and could be cut all together. BUT How do you really define sugar? Its in fruits, milk, rice, baking, condiments, sauces, and a plethora of hidden places without even addressing baked goods and added sugar....

Only reason to cut both is if they are negatively bothering your system. So I agree, why?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yes, and the pounds are coming off incredibly well. Been on it for several months, and instead of doing the crazy roller coaster ride of lose gain lose gain, it has been a steady decline, losing about one pound per week. This diet has rid me of my hunger between meals, and I also naturally eat less. And I feel healthier, smoother skin, sleep better, stronger nails, more energy...

I get a lot on info from this site: www.dietdoctor.com. It's about eating REAL food, no gimmicks, no pills, etc.

Good luck on whatever journey you choose.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am trying to only eat natural sugars from fruits. No added. It's not good for me, because I crave more of it after having some.
    I also am trying to eat low carb, so no flour or grains for me.
    I am NOT saying this is right for anyone, or telling anyone what to do, just saying yes, I am no sugar no flour and I like it that way.

To each their own.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, couldn't do it myself.
  • Holly_k88
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys very helpful.
    When I say I am cutting out sugar I mean added sugar so I'm still eating fruit with natural sugars in.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you cut out flour and sugar you're cutting calories. Doesn't matter how you do it, you'll lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. My hubby is celiac and manages to maintain 280 lbs quite nicely never eating any flour. There's no magic to removing a certain food item unless you have a health issue with it.
  • moylek
    moylek Posts: 27
    Options
    I cut out almost all flour and added sugars about 16 mos. ago: I stopped eating pasta, cookies, bread (and rice) and stopped putting sugar in my coffee.

I'm not dogmatic: I have a richly iced chocolate cupcake every Friday at lunch and I eat two to four squares of good chocolate after some meals. But that's it.

I dropped from 205lbs to 165lbs in about six months. I've been bouncing between 160 - 175 for the past year. I'm a middle-aged man, 5'10", btw.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If you cut out flour and sugar you're cutting calories. Doesn't matter how you do it, you'll lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. My hubby is celiac and manages to maintain 280 lbs quite nicely never eating any flour. There's no magic to removing a certain food item unless you have a health issue with it.

This exactly. To be honest unless it's for a medical condition there is no reason to cut them out.

SO has autoimmune skin condition and we had to cut all grains and dairy. Honestly I follow it to support him but I really wish we wouldn't have to cut these things..
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You may lose the weight initially, but it'll bounce right back.

It's just very hard to maintain long term weight loss when you are on such a restricted diet. If you can't eat the foods you enjoy, eventually you will reach a breaking point. You're going to crack then revert right back to old habits.

A better alternative is flexible dieting and eating the things you like in moderation.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I cut out almost all flour and added sugars about 16 mos. ago: I stopped eating pasta, cookies, bread (and rice) and stopped putting sugar in my coffee.

I'm not dogmatic: I have a richly iced chocolate cupcake every Friday at lunch and I eat two to four squares of good chocolate after some meals. But that's it.

I dropped from 205lbs to 165lbs in about six months. I've been bouncing between 160 - 175 for the past year. I'm a middle-aged man, 5'10", btw.

In 6 months? Wow. Well done! :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    my mom was a health nut and cut out all the flour and sugar in our diet when i was very little...i like to say some of my fine physique came from that diet
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I would never do that. If you are happy with the idea long-term and you find it sustainable, go for it but barring medical reasons, I don't see this aiding in weight loss anymore than just simple calorie restricting.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel Bread!!!! Also no sugar is very extreme because all fruits and vegetables have sugar. Yes, you can avoid fruit but a little bit of natural sugar from vegetables or legumes never hurt. Also, there are lots of flour-less (gluten free) diet groceries available everywhere. If you really have a hard time finding anything just go to your local Trader Joe's and you are guaranteed to find something gluten-free and often low sugar/sugar-free.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut anything and lost 125lbs in 16 months. I have ice cream everyday, I go to the movies and have candy and chips (see yesterday in my diary:blushing: ).I keep a weekly average calorie deficit and meet my macro/micro and fiber goals, that's it. You don't have to deprive yourself.:drinker:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    All flour.. All sugar.
    Its all about complex and simple carbs, flour and sugar are the simple carbs. Quick energy that causes cravings and bloat :(

All flours regardless of refinement are complex carbs.
  • Holly_k88
    Options
    Thats why I plan to cut them all out
  • moylek
    moylek Posts: 27
    Options
    "It's just very hard to maintain long term weight loss when you are on such a restricted diet. If you can't eat the foods you enjoy, eventually you will reach a breaking point. You're going to crack then revert right back to old habits." walterc7

Well, not so very hard in my experience. I really, really loved pasta, pizza and a chewy country loaf. Not to mention cookies and sweet coffee. I've become accustom to not having them.

Once every few months, I'll eat half a pizza; every few weeks, I'll eat a hamburger. Once a week, I have my cupcake. More than 16 months in, no "cracking."

The palate can be retrained.
  • Holly_k88
    Options
    Supposedly if you don't eat them after a couple of weeks there are no cravings for them