No Flour No Sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between "added sugar" and "natural sugar"?

(Fiber isn't the difference. Assume the added sugar is in a fiber-rich food/meal.)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Supposedly if you don't eat them after a couple of weeks there are no cravings for them

Just as if you quit smoking eventually you won`t crave it anymore?
    As opposed to cigarettes though, craving flour and sugar isn't bad lol
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Supposedly if you don't eat them after a couple of weeks there are no cravings for them

Except the cigarette cravings don't go away completely ever. Even over a year smoke free I get cravings and I know people who've been smoke free 10+ years that have said they still do as well.

ETA: I'd suggest looking over these in case your restrictive measures end up failing or leading to binges.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122891-9-reasons-fat-loss-is-always-slower-than-you-d-like

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105036-article-on-flexible-dieting-by-armi-legge?page=1#posts-17068746
  • Holly_k88
    Holly_k88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free for nearly two and i could easily have one especially if my friends are smoking and offering them around but i know i won't like it so i don't
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sounds great if you're planning on never eating sugar or flour again. Otherwise, I'd focus on a diet that teaches you good sustainable eating habits.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Except the cigarette cravings don't go away completely ever. Even over a year smoke free I get cravings and I know people who've been smoke free 10+ years that have said they still do as well.
    I quit 7 years ago now, and only in the past year or two have I been completely craving free. 3 weeks, 3 months and 3 years were the tough patches. I'm so glad that I don't see the need or feel any desire to give up sugar and flour, unlike smoking, one can be completely healthy with the inclusion of those things.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am wheat free but it has had no impact on fat loss. I do it to feel better. I am never bloated and I have way more energy. As for sugar... I don't eat candy and I don't put it in my tea... but I get sugar and carbs from fruits, veggies, and wheat free breads/pastas. I try not to go over my sugar and if I do go over on sugar I stay under in carbs. I think our bodies need a bit of sugar and it most definitely needs carbs... but I think carbs from breads is not as healthy as getting them from fruits and veggies.

ETA: since being wheat free I do not crave anything.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    All flour.. All sugar.
    Its all about complex and simple carbs, flour and sugar are the simple carbs. Quick energy that causes cravings and bloat :(
    False. Flour is a complex carb. Fruit is a simple carb.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do best when my intake of processed foods is limited. This means, for me, very few (if any) refined sugars or grain products. I feel better overall and lose weight more easily when these are limited, but I haven't completely cut them out. I do crave them less when I'm not eating them regularly, though. It's not for everyone, but I think it's worth a shot if you think it might work for you. Regardless, good luck!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    But...cake...

:cry:
  • Holly_k88
    Options
    I didn't say i was giving up natural sugar just added sugar
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

(Fiber isn't the difference. Assume the added sugar is in a fiber-rich food/meal.)
  • Holly_k88
    Options
    Added sugar adds no extra value and is empty calories. Natural sugar found in fruit and milk for e.g provides us with a ton of vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that our bodies need
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Added sugar adds no extra value and is empty calories. Natural sugar found in fruit and milk for e.g provides us with a ton of vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that our bodies need

One of us is confused about what sugar is and is not.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I guess if you cut added sugar, you eat less sugar overall and lower your carbs overall (which I guess has an effect on appetite etc)? It's just an easier way of doing things for some people - some find it easier to cut a particular food entirely, some find it easier to eat bits in moderation. I don't think added sugar is inherently bad for you in moderate quantities.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel Bread!!!! Also no sugar is very extreme because all fruits and vegetables have sugar. Yes, you can avoid fruit but a little bit of natural sugar from vegetables or legumes never hurt. Also, there are lots of flour-less (gluten free) diet groceries available everywhere. If you really have a hard time finding anything just go to your local Trader Joe's and you are guaranteed to find something gluten-free and often low sugar/sugar-free.
    I'm a big fan of Ezekiel.
    I very much limit added sugar, and ezekiel bread is my staple "grain". I lost weight because of a calorie deficit. For ME limiting white flour and added sugar made that easier. (12 years at maintenance)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Sugar is sugar, natural sugar does not contain vitamins or phytochemicals that added sugar does not. They are identical, from a chemical standpoint. MILK may contain vitamins and minerals, but it's not the lactose in the milk that has them, it's the rest of the milk. Similarly, you can eat something with added sugar that contains the same vitamins and phytochemicals you're talking about.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Flour, yes (no gluten for me I found out recently), and it was easier than I thought. With the eating clean thing being so big right now, there are SO many recipes on how to replace those products and still have the foods I love. I make pancakes made from oats and a banana the other day. VERY tasty! I haven't given up sugar though. That seems like it would be really really difficult! I try to limit it, but I don't think I could give it up completely. I love fruit too much!

Edit for typo!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Apple juice is an added sugar if used to sweeten something. The (small) vitamin and mineral content of fruits isn't due to the sugar, and vegetables have more.