How bad do the gyms get after New Years?

2»

Replies

• Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    It's almost 3 years now that I was one of those January beginners too. Not because I made a New Year's resolution, but because Santa Claus brought me a gym membership for 3 months :-)
    My gym usually has 2 peaks: one in January, and one in late September, that's when schools start again, summer vacations are over and everyday life kicks in again for about everybody living here.
    Oh well, we'll survive, a lot of these new beginners won't ;-)
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    This past January I was one of those New Year's resolutioners. (Resolutionists? Resolutionaries?) Long story short, it's eleven months and 65 pounds later and I'm still there. Be nice to us, as some of us do actually stick around! :flowerforyou:

Congrats and GREAT JOB!!! :flowerforyou:

I was a New Years resolutioner too! And I also stuck around! So yes, while most of them won't stick around, some do. I will try to remember that this January and try to encourage the newbies at my gym! :smile:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    After New Year, you generally have to fight through the mass of fat people to get into the gym, and there's no chance of getting on a treadmill. Then, after about a week, they all disappear until the following year.
    I'm guessing only fit people work out at your gym? :flowerforyou:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    As much as we moan and complain, it's only because they leave again.

If they stayed, the gyms would get bigger and lots of shiny new equipment.
  • lilalief
    lilalief Posts: 76 Member
    It often demotivates me. Sooo busy... but stick to it because after a while they will realise they were too ambitious and can't keep it up :) Hence, they'll leave :)
  • See if they actually stayed, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. I'd surely be happy for them :) I am a little nervous because my favorite cardio machine (Precor AMT) will most likely be used up :/
    My gym only has 3 of those machines at this time. I had weight lifting sets at home so I don't care much about that.
  • marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    January will be full... but early Feb starts to taper down
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Awful. You've just reminded me of what's to come :sad:
  • I only just joined and at the moment it seems quite empty, but that may just be my gym. My trainer told me that the numbers do bump up in January-February though :happy:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Thanks for reminding me. :tongue:

My gym won't start to clear out until around March... I hate having to wait in lines when the gym is overcrowded. :frown:
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Ugh, so not looking forward to all the New Year's resolutioners. My gym downsized this year and all the classes I attend are usually jam packed, I can't imagine what it will be like in January!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    It does get crazy packed at the YMCA I go to. I work nights and workout after my shift in the mid to late mornings. It's not as bad as the afternoons/evenings. Last year I made the mistake of going on New Years, it was crazy packed , got sick the very next day and I was out for almost 2 weeks battling bronchitis. It got better by mid Feb.
  • This past January I was one of those New Year's resolutioners. (Resolutionists? Resolutionaries?) Long story short, it's eleven months and 65 pounds later and I'm still there. Be nice to us, as some of us do actually stick around! :flowerforyou:

:drinker:
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Gyms are at their busiest in January. By the time February comes along, things have returned to normal.

Pretty much this. I hit the gym as late as possible in January and get my road-running in while the queues gradually diminish.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Busy for about six weeks - by mid February things are hopping but closer to normal than early January.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    This past January I was one of those New Year's resolutioners. (Resolutionists? Resolutionaries?) Long story short, it's eleven months and 65 pounds later and I'm still there. Be nice to us, as some of us do actually stick around! :flowerforyou:

Challenge PASSED! :happy:
  • grammagie
    grammagie Posts: 142 Member
    For over thirty years, I would make resolutions..no more! I've also joined various gym clubs over the years at that time of year.

Last year, I joined a gym for myself, for a complete lifestyle change, and for the first time, I'm loving it..I go about five times per week and it is my sanity:) I've lost about 40 lbs (some before coming here) and feel great.

However, yes, it always gets crazy busy around this time. I'm dreading it a little, but that's just my personality. I like to go to the gym when it is less congested.
  • grammagie
    grammagie Posts: 142 Member

Challenge PASSED! :happy:

Good for you:) You must feel incredible:)