Too Far Under Budget...???

Options
2»

Replies

• dovesouls
    Options
    To everyone else who was critical of my question, I wasn't looking for criticism. I was just trying to see if anyone had any suggestions that I hadn't thought of. That's all. I am under the supervision of a Doctor, and this "diet" was recommended by a medical nutritionist coordinating with him. I have a disability that restricts what I can eat and I process carbs and fats differently than most people. Not that I should have to explain this to anyone. It isn't anyone's business and I didn't realize that I needed to broadcast it. I was simply wondering if there were snacks that one could eat that were lower in carbs but not floating in lard. If that answer is "no", that would suffice. I don't need to be ridiculed. And yes, it was the "carbs" that made me fat, not the calories. I have been keeping a food diary for the past year and sharing it with my doc.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    To everyone else who was critical of my question, I wasn't looking for criticism. I was just trying to see if anyone had any suggestions that I hadn't thought of. That's all. I am under the supervision of a Doctor, and this "diet" was recommended by a medical nutritionist coordinating with him. I have a disability that restricts what I can eat and I process carbs and fats differently than most people. Not that I should have to explain this to anyone. It isn't anyone's business and I didn't realize that I needed to broadcast it. I was simply wondering if there were snacks that one could eat that were lower in carbs but not floating in lard. If that answer is "no", that would suffice. I don't need to be ridiculed. And yes, it was the "carbs" that made me fat, not the calories. I have been keeping a food diary for the past year and sharing it with my doc.

every day there are countless threads here were people want support for following whatever sparky unicorn excretion diet where you cut out xyz and only eat whatever. Unless you tell them differently, people are going to assume you are the same thus suggesting moderation rather then exclusion. It's not because they are trying to be mean and criticise you, they are actually trying to be nice and help you find success. Now that you said it is a medical issue you'll probably get some better suggestions.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

if your needs are that specific why not just ask your doctor? expecting strangers on a forum to know what your specific needs are is just asking to eventually post a response like the one i quoted.

think about it logically, food is broken down into 3 components : sugar (carbs), fats and proteins. if you're reducing 1 (or 2 in your case) then logic dictates that the other 1 has to make up the slack. right?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Low carb and low fat, huh?

Was advised to do this by a doctor, eh?

Doesn't want feedback but posts questions on the forums, hmm?

Surely this medically supervised diet would include a list of all the beef jerky, tough steak, dry chicken breast, and broccoli you can eat, no?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Ok, I never thought I would see the day that this would be an issue. For the past 2 days I have gotten a warning after logging all of my meals for the day that I hadn't consumed enough calories. I am doing low-carb (which is working wonderfully so far...8 lbs. down total) and for me the low-carb lifestyle change is a hit. I absolutely love veggies so that part was super easy. The problem is that most of the high calorie foods are also high carb. I eat until I get full and I am eating and snacking several times a day. But I am still not logging enough calories now. Any suggestions on low carb snacks, besides veggies, that aren't floating in fat? I am trying to find a good balance with fats, proteins, and fiber. But I need to stay below 60 net carbs a day.

Deep fry your vegetables.

Carbs have roughly the same calories per gram as protein, so carbs are not a high calorie food.

Fat has roughly twice as many calories per gram as protein and carbs, so you will have to increase your fat to easily increase your calories.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Ok, I never thought I would see the day that this would be an issue. For the past 2 days I have gotten a warning after logging all of my meals for the day that I hadn't consumed enough calories. I am doing low-carb (which is working wonderfully so far...8 lbs. down total) and for me the low-carb lifestyle change is a hit. I absolutely love veggies so that part was super easy. The problem is that most of the high calorie foods are also high carb. I eat until I get full and I am eating and snacking several times a day. But I am still not logging enough calories now. Any suggestions on low carb snacks, besides veggies, that aren't floating in fat? I am trying to find a good balance with fats, proteins, and fiber. But I need to stay below 60 net carbs a day.

Carbs have roughly the same calories per gram as protein, so carbs are not a high calorie food.

Fat has roughly twice as many calories per gram as protein and carbs, so you will have to increase your fat to easily increase your calories.

cant has a disability with fat
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

cant has a disability with food

fixed
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

OP if you have medical conditions that has you on a special diet that is being supervised by a doctor...I really think a public forum is the last place you should be turning to.

Please see your doctor or maybe hire a registered dietitian. No one here can really help you.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options

If you're under the care of a doctor, just follow their advice and dont ask vague questions from the lay people.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Okay, so three choices:

1. Increase carbs

2. Increase fat and see if there is some counteracting medication for disability

3. Die/cause irreparable damage to self because of malnutrition
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Okay, so three choices:

1. Increase carbs

2. Increase fat and see if there is some counteracting medication for disability

cant carbohydrates cause weight gain
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Okay, so three choices:

1. Increase carbs

cant carbohydrates cause weight gain

Must resist urge to say 'Just Give Up'.

Oh. Opps.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you're after snakcs what about protein shakes made up with almond milk? A 400ml serving (30g powder plus the almond milk) comes in at about 230 cals (depending on the protein powder you use).
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    If you're after snakcs what about protein shakes made up with almond milk? A 400ml serving (30g powder plus the almond milk) comes in at about 230 cals (depending on the protein powder you use).

Might but that's about 4 g of fat...have to get the unsweetened
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

If you're under the care of a doctor, just follow their advice and dont ask vague questions from the lay people.

^^^^ this

Also, OP, if you have to eat a special diet for medical reasons, and you're asking for dietary advice online, yes you do have to mention that. It's not about it being other people's business or not, it's because no-one is psychic and even a doctor can't give suitable advice without knowing your medical issues. And if you're asking advice about how to get more calories when on a low carb diet, then everyone's going to say to eat more fat, because that's how to get more calories on a low carb diet. They're not going to psychically know that this is not suitable advice for you. They will give the same advice to someone who doesn't have medical issues, if you don't tell them that you have medical issues.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this! the majority of people, myself included, are actually trying to help... theres no need for the attitude.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am assuming that your dietician must have given you some suggestions as well, but here it goes:

Why do you just eat more (quantity wise) of the stuff you can eat? When you breastfeed exclusively and the baby is not gaining enough weight, the first suggestion is to feed it more often (every 2 hours). Perhaps this could also apply to you. Eat every 2 hours, eat larger meals. Eat massive salads - although veggies contain carbs so not sure whether you are allowed to eat those with your disability.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    needs to increase calories
    asks how while remaining low carb
    doesn't want fat because 'condition'
    has medically defined diet by doctor and nutritionist

just eat what your told and eat MORE of it
    or have a whey shake or a chicken breast

"calories didn't make me fat, carbs did"

I think you need to consider that statement. Think about it.
  • dovesouls
    Options
    Wow, people. I was just looking for more snack suggestions. I was apparently too wordy. My bad. I did receive some very good ones. So, problem solved. No need to shred me anymore. Thank you for your concerns. I will no longer be following this thread. Talk amongst yourselves, if need be.
  • functionalhormones
    Options
    Dovesouls - I just saw your post that you're no longer following this thread. I'm sad I've probably missed you! :( Why? Because it sounds like you're where I've been--looking for how to manage to low carb eating. Cheese and olives tend to be satisfiers for snacky times between meals.

I am a fan of high fat low carb (HFLC) for my body. After years of struggling to manage my weight with a 1200-1600 calorie diet high in fruits, veggies, whole grains, and low fat meat--and lots of restriction, never satisfied. My body drops weight when I eat/manage to 80% of calories from fat, 15% from protein, and 5% carbs. I lose weight AND, most importantly, I'm satisfied.

I think you mentioned that your body doesn't do well with high fat. If you're talking about nausea and a general "yuck" feeling, Google "keto flu". Our bodies do adjust in time.

Some helpful resources for me in learning are - and that you might helpful if you Google them.
    - Maria Emmerich (!!!) - blog, cookbooks, and books
    - Nourishing Traditions - cookbook
    - Satisfying Eats - blog and cookbooks
    - Coconut oil - Google it!
    - Ketogenesis - Google it :)
    - Bullet proof coffee
    - Pinterest - search for Keto, HFLC, grain free, sugar free, etc. While these may not be exactly what you're looking for, they can bring you to other options.

I hope you happen to get this!