How bad do the gyms get after New Years?

Options

Replies

• Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    mine gets stupid busy, people that have memberships come back and new ones start. The classes are the hardest hit, I've seen zumba classes that were packed like a trendy nightclub. Step left instead of right and the whole room gets knocked out of sync :)
    Luckily the weight area isn't a whole lot busier and my yoga classes stay some what less crowded. Can't get near cardio machines but Idon't use them anyway.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Busiest times I've noticed are Jan-beginning of March, May/June for swimsuit season and recently September for the slutty Halloween costumes :laugh:

i also notice that it's crazier after work. For the January rush i either change my workout to the morning or wait until later in the day after the after work crowd has left
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It's hard not to be annoyed with the "New Years Resolution" crowd, but I just try to remember that we all started somewhere, and they are at least trying to change their lives. Most of them won't stick with it, but maybe some of them will, and I don't want to be the b!tch that discourages someone from getting healthy because I was too impatient waiting for the machines, or annoyed at not getting my usual spot in class.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My school's gym got packed after getting back from winter break. By the time march madness rolled around, it was back to normal.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    This past January I was one of those New Year's resolutioners. (Resolutionists? Resolutionaries?) Long story short, it's eleven months and 65 pounds later and I'm still there. Be nice to us, as some of us do actually stick around! :flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    This past January I was one of those New Year's resolutioners. (Resolutionists? Resolutionaries?) Long story short, it's eleven months and 65 pounds later and I'm still there. Be nice to us, as some of us do actually stick around! :flowerforyou:

yeah i dont understand the hate for the resolutioners, especially since many of them end up subsidizing gym fees for the rest of us.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Bad.

2-3 months here.

Expect the forums to fill with new people, and the database/barcode scan to be rammed with nonsense too.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It usually gets significantly busier. As a group fitness instructor I always use it as a time to REALLY try and grab people's interest and get them to stay as regulars and not resolutioners. It makes me sad when I see people that I've connected with fall off and disappear.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Yes...at my gym there are always lots more people for the first few weeks...then it tapers off. The plus side is that a lot of gyms offer good deals at that time to entice you in, so you can save some money.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My new gym is tiny so I am not looking forward to this! I tend to go late in the evening which is not as busy though.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    It's almost 3 years now that I was one of those January beginners too. Not because I made a New Year's resolution, but because Santa Claus brought me a gym membership for 3 months :-)
    My gym usually has 2 peaks: one in January, and one in late September, that's when schools start again, summer vacations are over and everyday life kicks in again for about everybody living here.
    Oh well, we'll survive, a lot of these new beginners won't ;-)
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

Congrats and GREAT JOB!!! :flowerforyou:

I was a New Years resolutioner too! And I also stuck around! So yes, while most of them won't stick around, some do. I will try to remember that this January and try to encourage the newbies at my gym! :smile:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    After New Year, you generally have to fight through the mass of fat people to get into the gym, and there's no chance of getting on a treadmill. Then, after about a week, they all disappear until the following year.
    I'm guessing only fit people work out at your gym? :flowerforyou:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    As much as we moan and complain, it's only because they leave again.

If they stayed, the gyms would get bigger and lots of shiny new equipment.
  • lilalief
    lilalief Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It often demotivates me. Sooo busy... but stick to it because after a while they will realise they were too ambitious and can't keep it up :) Hence, they'll leave :)
  • sjackson310
    Options
    See if they actually stayed, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. I'd surely be happy for them :) I am a little nervous because my favorite cardio machine (Precor AMT) will most likely be used up :/
    My gym only has 3 of those machines at this time. I had weight lifting sets at home so I don't care much about that.
  • marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    January will be full... but early Feb starts to taper down
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Awful. You've just reminded me of what's to come :sad:
  • copselily
    Options
    I only just joined and at the moment it seems quite empty, but that may just be my gym. My trainer told me that the numbers do bump up in January-February though :happy: