Is Aiming for 110 Pounds over a 1 Year Period, Realistic?

Options
First all I know it's a lifestyle change not a ''diet'' so please don't say you have to change your lifestyle, I have heard it all.
I'm the type of person that Loves to have a goal in my head a push to it.

I plan on losing 110 Pounds (50kgs) over a year and a bit. Calorie Deficit of about 940-1000 per day.

I am overweight-obese at the moment.

Is this achievable and how many of you have accomplished this? I mean could someone give me some hope!

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight and height?
  • MarieMarieMarie123
    Options
    6ft tall and a bit, 119 kgs :sad:
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'd be wary of losing too fast , purely because I would want to ensure I didn't end up with loads of loose skin
  • MarieMarieMarie123
    Options
    I actually don't have that much fat, I'm just big and I suppose I carry my weight well, So i think lose skin isn't a problem
  • lkh1234
    Options
    I am 11 months into my lifestyle change and have lost 80 pounds. You should be able to lose a fair amount in a year,,,,if not 100 pounds, any loss is an accomplishment to be proud of!!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm the type of person that Loves to have a goal in my head a push to it.
    I think having a weight loss goal can be a recipe for failure because even though we control the inputs, we don't really have 100% control of scale weight. It comes off in odd patterns, often. I think it's more realistic to make goals regarding the inputs, the things you DO have 100% control over. Like make a goal to log every bite for a month and walk 10,000 steps a day for a month. Then make a new goal after you meet that one.
  • MarieMarieMarie123
    Options
    That's what I plan to do, Make smaller goals daily & weekly but I mean I can have an Ultimate Goal at the back of my head?
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you don't have that much fat, what is it you're going to lose 110lb of?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Do you have discipline in general? Cause that is a lot but doable if you can commit but must of the time when people set goals that high they tend to fail.

How about you start small, aim for 8lbs in the next month and see how that goes. If you can pull it off then you might be able to aim higher.

You didn't gain that weight in one year so trying to lose it that fast is hard. Also, like Markie mentioned loose skin might be an issue if you lose that much that fast.

Best of luck, I hope you have it in you to commit for the life style change.
  • MarieMarieMarie123
    Options
    I'm sorry I didn't mean it that way, That was silly I mean Because I am so tall I carry my weight quite well. I mean I don't have excess fat tissue on my arms or stomach, mostly my thighs. I have bigger bone structure. I hope you get what I mean
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The amount of weight you're planning to lose would bring you down to a BMI of 20 or so, which is towards the very bottom of the 'healthy' BMI range which doesn't make sense to me if you are large-framed. Why not adjust your goal to bringing your BMI down to 25 to begin with (losing about 78lb I think) and then see how you feel?
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Possibly doable although maybe not advisable.
    That's not much more than my starting weight, and while I never aimed to keep up a 2+ pound a week loss, I don't think I could've even if I did. (Started end Sep 2012)
    At the start you won't have a problem losing that fast, but it will more than likely slow down even if you increase exercise/decrease food intake.
    I know everyone is different, but you eventually get to the stage where your BMR isn't that high and you have to start living on basically nothing to create a deficit big enough, or you have to exercise a crazy amount.

Go for it if you want, just don't get too down about it if you don't lose as fast as you would like ;)
    I would focus on eating healthy, keeping the deficit healthy, exercising regularly and just let it happen as fast as it wants to happen.
    Good luck :)
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    It is possible I have lost 99.4lbs since January 31 2013 and intend to go below 200lbs before christmas. Log everything religiously do not overestimate exercise calories and with a little hard work its not impossible. I have found MFP a great tool and have never been hungry while losing I have eaten everything I want to within reason, if I needed to do a little more exercise to balance the calories then thats the price I pay.

Good luck you can do it, you just need to want it enough!
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    6ft tall and a bit, 119 kgs :sad:
    Make sure you are getting all your nutrients and drinking plenty of water. Make sure you move every day, the weight will do nothing but fluctuate without exercise. Healthily anyway. That stops your metabolism from slowing, you don't have to do hard exercise, just walk around the park and back to your place for an hour. Even very soft exercise will stop your metabolism from slowing. Headphones or walking dog for walking works. It will not all come off at once, but if you are constant it will slip off healthily. Don't avoid foods, that is always a bad thing to do for weight loss. If it is high calorie watch the portion and if necessary counterbalance it. A lot of foods make people feel better such as parts in dairy and narcotic in chocolate. If it is too hard to portion/counterbalance there is usually a low calorie alternative. Don't force yourself to eat when you aren't hungry or to not when you are. You may or may not lose 50kilos in a year. That is nearly a kilo per week, it is possible. But with family/holiday events during the year unlikely. Track everything good and bad, it really helps.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    So far I have been loosing 10lbs per month, at that rate I suppose you could loose 110lbs in a year. However that's with a hard cardio regimin at the gym 4x a week and a caloric intake of 1200 cals a day. Because you are human and will splurge someday, and your body will adjust as you get smaller and you will need to workout harder to compensate...I suggest aiming for 10lbs a month but using it more like a goal than a strict guideline so your not disappointed if you miss it.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Is it doable? Sure. Not sure I would go as far as saying it is realistic, but I don't know you and your fitness and eating habits, so it is possible and I wish you all the best. I will say though that maintaining a 1000 cal deficit whilst you are close to your goal weight is difficult (those last few kilos are the hardest ones to lose), but knock yourself out and let us know how it went.