Look the same in my pics! :( 40+ lb lost?

Options
Hey Guys...need some motivation...just seen pics of myself recently from a wedding and i'm looking huge still my legs look like tree trunks...really distressed how can i overcome this? I feel my year of eating clean and exercising has done nothing... i look like a man beast compared to everyone! :(

Replies

• Getawayfromthecake
    Getawayfromthecake Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There are probably big changes but it's too personal for you to be subjective. The hardest part about losing weight when you have a lot to lose is the first 30 lbs is the least obvious. Your last 30 lbs will make the biggest difference. There will be big changes however, you just probably a little too close to see.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You simply CANNOT look the same with 40+lbs gone....! you have to be down 2 or 3 dress sizes? surely people have noticed that you are looking slimmer?
    Please don't give up, you are worth it! you will benefit in countless ways, this can be a long process but we have to be patient and we will get there :)
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Have someone else look at your photos. See if they see a difference. Body dysmorphia is not just for anorexics.

Also do you lift? That will change your body composition the fastest.
  • Mr_Boy
    Mr_Boy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was just about to make a similar post! I'm approaching 50% of my target weight loss and I can't see any difference - neither do I notice clothes being looser.

Granted, my target is not a massive change but compared to my total weight it is quite a lot - my ticker will show you I'm trying to lose 2st from 12st. The only place I was visibly chubby before I started was my tummy and neither I or my wife think anything has changed.
    Given I'm 8lb down AND I've definitely put on some muscle weight from all the unaccustomed exercise, where am I losing it FROM, I wonder?!
  • VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think i've lost it all from my face but i don't know.... I'm only 10 st 9 lb (sometimes fluctuate to 10st 12lb) It's extremley sad to look at myself and not see a difference. I do some weights when i get chance. People have said i've lost weight but i just can't see it :(
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    There has to be a difference, but usually you are the last person to notice it. It's really difficult to see the changes in your own body. Don't compare pictures to what you see in the mirror. But compare apples to apples: take pictures regularly (once a month) wearing the same outfit (preferably underwear or a bikini) and to make sure your pose and lighting is as similar as possible. If you put these next to each other I'm sure you'll see changes.

I participated in a challenge group in which all the ladies would post 1 picture a month for 3 months in a row. Some lost quite a bit of weight and some not so much. But you could still see a difference in each and every comparison picture! Honestly, you would be surprised to see how much a body can change in just a few months and even while losing just a few lbs.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I would say hold on to that 40lb+ loss and move on. You have done an awesome job. period Not to mention you're gorgeous! If you're the last one to see, then so be it. Pick up your chin and keep movin!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I'm really fed up over peoples pictures of me the worst bit is the fact a professional photographer took it haha! I noticed I must of lost cause i forget i'm wearing a bra as they are that baggy around my ribs now haha! I just wish i could see the changes in photos people take of me :(
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I'm really fed up over peoples pictures of me the worst bit is the fact a professional photographer took it haha! I noticed I must of lost cause i forget i'm wearing a bra as they are that baggy around my ribs now haha! I just wish i could see the changes in photos people take of me :(

Maybe you just expected to lose weight on different spots. Or maybe you just focus on the spots in which you still want to lose. Don't worry, pictures never really make us justice.
  • DaddyDave101
    DaddyDave101 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys...need some motivation...just seen pics of myself recently from a wedding and i'm looking huge still my legs look like tree trunks...really distressed how can i overcome this? I feel my year of eating clean and exercising has done nothing... i look like a man beast compared to everyone! :(

My take on this is...

When I first wanted to lose weight in my head I was happy to lose 30lbs and look slimmer.

I am slimmer now but I am definitely not done - Since I have started I have became more obsessed/engrossed in healthy living and my expectations have risen so much.

I now want to look at a fully toned man in the mirror and the difference between an overweight man losing 30 lbs and an overweight man completing changing his body are not anywhere near close.

Saying this I feel your pain because sometimes I look at myself and think its really not happening but thats just natural for you to be over critical wanting to be a poster girl/guy in no time at all.

Im sure everyone else will be able to tell, keep going
  • Sailor_Xa
    Sailor_Xa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    look at this http://www.modaeafins.com.br/noticias/?p=3405 stars aren't perfect
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Maybe you just expected to lose weight on different spots. Or maybe you just focus on the spots in which you still want to lose. Don't worry, pictures never really make us justice.

this^^^

every month since February I have taken the same series of progress shots. Nine times out of ten, my eyes go STRAIGHT to the spare tire around my waist, and I have to look hard to see the slimness creeping down my ribcage, or the increased tone in my legs, etc. Random people at the gym walk up to me and tell me how impressed they are by my "loss" ( a whopping 6lbs this year).

One of these days you have an "ah ha" moment, and everything will click with you. My latest one was about 2 months ago. My first trainer is a dear friend of mine now. I trust him with all my deepest feelings about body image. Justin and I were having coffee at my house, and talking about my progress with my new trainer when he tells me " You know what really blows my mind? Once you showed me a before picture in a gray shirt, and you look completely different now". This is a side by side of the before picture, and a few days before the discussion. Funny thing is...I might actually be heavier in the after pic! In the before pic, I'm not 100% sure of my weight ( I know it is between 188lbs and 199lbs). In the after, I am 193/194lbs.

10035269906_47277afec6.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    What you'd wear to a wedding might not show the kinds of changes that are surely there, because of what all is covered up! You were also smaller all over I'm sure, but that can be hard to see in a picture because the perspective is lacking. I can't tell what size I'm wearing in old pictures unless my poundage is quite different because of that.

That's really good in a way. If your goal jeans are a 12, a 14 might look basically exactly the same, lol. You could stop earlier if you liked :)

Don't worry about looking 'big' compared to random folks, because people are different sizes. Just choose a nice, healthy goal and you'll be set. Oh, and do strength training for muscles. Seriously. That always helps.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Did you put pictures side by side? 40lbs is Amazing, so be proud!
    If your body SHAPE hasn't changed, but your SIZE is smaller it can be tough to see it in yourself, especially if you're looking for flaws. Maybe try lifting as you can lose inches and change your shape which may help with photo comparisons. It's really hard when you have high expectations of yourself- but it will happen, truly 40lbs.. AMAZING!
    Most of all- don't give up! what you're doing is working for you, so use the support on here and go for your goal!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You see yourself every day. My friend specifically told me, "Damn, I only see you once a week and you look nothing like you used to!" Other people have said that I look incredible compared to when they last saw me and how they can't get over it.

Look, you see yourself in the mirror every day. You look down on yourself at an angle that nobody else sees and you are very critical of yourself. I can guarantee that you look much thinner than you used to.