My Story

Options
So I thought I would share my story in hopes that it motivates other. The biggest thing I have learned from my life style change is that not giving up. To keep trying and trying. I joined MFP over a year ago and started strong and started losing weight and exercising and eating better. I had reached a goal and then just stopped. No reason at all but just stopped. I had struggled with depression and it started to get worse. I had been drinking and smoking pot for a long time and always thought I could control it. When I had stopped my new way of living I continued with the smoking and drinking mostly to numb the depression. Well it started to get worse and worse until I found myself in a hospital. I will not go into many details as it may trigger some people so we leave it at a very bad place. Well I took the step to get help and have turned my life around. I am still trying and as many times I fail I still keep trying. It is very difficult and there are days that I want to give up but I just remember what it was like before and what kind of harm I had done to myself. So that brings me to 4 months of clean and sober living! I have lost 18lbs and currently doing P90X for workouts I am now on week 5 which when I started I never thought I would make it this far. I have now found myself enjoy things that I wanted nothing to do with. I even have to say I have felt happy which is something that I thought would never be again. I am going to reach my goals and embrace my new life style. I will be happy and healthy!

I hope if you made it to this point of my ramblings I have giving even if it is just one person a reason and motivation to reach their goal. Keep trying and trying you will succeed.

Replies

• simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This is not rambling, this is power , determination and forgiveness all wrapped up to make a positive Rob. You are a success story my friend. Keep riding this one mate. Your fitness buddies will be here supporting you all the way.
  • motogsp
    motogsp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks Simon! I appreciate all the support!
  • DuginLA
    Options
    Great story. I am going to share this with my wife as she also struggles with depression. I want to show her that, while not easy, there is hope. Way to go.
  • motogsp
    Options
    Thanks DuginLA, i hope it does inspire her. There is always hope.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    We are the same good sir. My issues with weightloss was also mental. It's unfortunate that it takes people like us to get completely backed into a corner before we do something about it. I am no different in this regard and I never want to feel that helpless and self destructive again. Now I care about life and the others that are in it but no matter what happens I cannot go back to that darkness. I know now there is nothing for me there. Thank you for sharing you're story with MFP.

Cheers sir,

Tof
  • motogsp
    Options
    We are the same good sir. My issues with weightloss was also mental. It's unfortunate that it takes people like us to get completely backed into a corner before we do something about it. I am no different in this regard and I never want to feel that helpless and self destructive again. Now I care about life and the others that are in it but no matter what happens I cannot go back to that darkness. I know now there is nothing for me there. Thank you for sharing you're story with MFP.

Cheers sir,

Tof

I am glad to share my story. I hope that it offers some inspiration to others that have struggled like we have.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You are not rambling, you are being supportive to others and letting them know that It is not as easy as people would think it is.
    You are very inspiring and I want to thank you for posting this and also for helping others when before you didn't even want to help yourself. Great job!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Thank You so much for posting this You are a true inspiration
  • motogsp
    Options
    It is very humbling to think I am an inspiration! I am so glad that I can be. Thanks
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story.

It takes so much courage and perseverance to overcome the obstacles you speak of. I send you all my best wishes for continued health and success. I am so glad too that there are more and more men sharing their lives on here.....I have seen it with my own loved ones that men face particular struggles when being open about mental health issues or admitting to depression. Breaking down these barriers is so important.

Thank you once again :flowerforyou:
  • Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You are not rambling, Thank you for sharing your story with us. Your story is inspirational. I will share this with my son that he is suffering from depression. You are an amazing person. Keep up the awesome work you are doing.
  • motogsp
    Options
    Your welcome it is healing for myself to share as well.
  • motogsp
    Options
    bump
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • mg_89
    mg_89 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It takes guts to put yourself out there like this.... it's a great story and I bet there's a happy ending around the corner :)

best wishes to you on the next steps of your journey-- good luck!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    thanks for your story and congrats on finding some relief from depression. Its a serious illness that is not taken seriously enough. Its also good to hear that you are clean and sober. Be proud of yourself!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    First, CONGRATS on 4 mos sober!! YAY!! A standing ovation for you!!

And P90X is a GREAT way to work off the depression!! With weight loss being a bonus. GOOD FOR YOU!!
  • Brittaura
    Brittaura Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do you have anything that helped you push through it? I'm at an extremely low point myself, already on antidepressants etc and just at the point where motivationwise I have nothing left... I just want to crawl in a hole and let whatever happens happen. Not meaning to be a downer on the thread, just want to know what ppl with similar issues have done to get past them.

Congratulations on your progress and success, I hope you continue to get all the things you want in life :)