Big breakfasts make me overeat

Options
2»

Replies

• Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I really don't think there are many absolutes - just take pay attention to what your appetite is telling you. Don't eat more or less just to do it, eat when your hungry and stop when your full. Make the best choices you can and/or eat in moderation. If eating a large breakfast makes you feel that way then try cutting back and see how you feel.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat breakfast for years, coffee only in the mornings, because I would get so hungry by mid-morning and I would overeat at lunch. I joked that breakfast "wakes up" my stomach, and once awake, my stomach realizes it wants food.

Now I eat breakfast regularly and find that when I eat breakfast (cottage cheese and fruit - high protein and fat - about 400 calories, coffee included), I am satisfied all morning, don't eat a huge and heavy lunch. I sometimes have a smack mid-late afternoon. And I'm not ravenous for dinner.

Breakfast works for me and my weight loss.
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Same for me, so do what works for you! I find that if I have sugar before noon (even good sugar from fruit), I will overeat the rest of the day, so I stick to eggs and black tea in the am.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I normally eat between 100-200 calorie breakfasts. It seems to work for me. Just do what works best for you and dont worry about what the "studies" say. Everyone is different. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    breakfast is overrated..

does not matter if you have a large one, small one, or skip it..

as long as you stay in a calorie deficit and hit your macro goals for the day you will be fine...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I didn't eat breakfast, ate salad for lunch, and nothing for dinner. It is a great way to lose weight! It really sucks because I can't get back in that groove again! I've put on 10 pounds! But make sure you never eat breakfast! Once you get the taste of food you body goes nuts and starts craving everything.
    if this is such a great method, how d id you put ten pounds back on?

Yet more proof that starvation diets are unsustainable...
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I never feel like eating until a couple of hours after getting up, I have to have a mug of tea though. I work a few mornings a week and usually have an Atkins daybreak bar to keep me going until 2 pm when I will next get chance to eat.

If my first meal of the day is big then I'm hungry for the rest of the day too. One thing I am learning is to listen to my body and to do what works for me.
  • Appalachia7
    Appalachia7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me too - eating breakfast just leads to too many calories over all throughout the day. I can do Insanity just fine first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (with just a small amount of calories from coffee, skim milk, and xylitol or small amt of sugar). Plus I am naturally not as hungry in the mornings. I get by on things like an apple, tomato, or celery in the morning. I like to eat my biggest meal at dinner - plus it works best because I prepare meals for husband and kids, and find it next to impossible to prepare dinner and not eat it myself.

My husband who is 40+ and naturally lean has never been a big breakfast eater either. Or if he does eat a big breakfast then he doesn't need to eat again until after dark.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. I like to keep the bulk of my cals for when I get home from work. Breakfasts and snacks make me hungry. So, I just avoid them.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, my breakfast is usually around 400 calories, high in protein, keeps me satiated until lunch, on the weekends well past lunch. I prefer to eat lighter the rest of the day.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    Do what works for you.

I have a small breakfast, 5 days a week this is a banana at 8:30, which is 2 hours after I get up, about 125 calories. My first break at work is 9:45 am and I usually eat another 150-250 calories at this time. For me splitting up my breakfast in to 2 meals works very well.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I also find breakfast to be overrated. I hardly ever have it and when I do, it's usually when I take my daughter to a breakfast place 'cause she loves those chocolate banana pancakes.
  • arc8706
    Options
    I hate eating in the morning due to anxiety. I usually have nausea if I'm up before 8 or 9 AM. And I don't feel hungry at all until around 11 AM.

So I don't eat anything until noon-ish on most days. I have a decent sized lunch and dinner, and some snacks between and after those meals. If I ate breakfast I wouldn't get to snack (or most likely i'd still snack anyway and go over on my calories).

Having breakfast makes me feel sick and keeps me from being able to eat stuff I want to eat later, so no I don't care what the Special K commercials say about needing breakfast. lol