Help with Weight Loss

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm 5'4", 130.5lbs and I cycle for 40 minutes 3-5 times a week. I also walk around campus everyday quite a lot and work at a coffee shop on Saturdays.
I'm currently eating around 1200 calories, but in a five day window, last Monday to this morning, I didn't lose anything, but gained 0.25lbs.
I know that's not a lot but I want to make sure that I'm doing everything right. Could anyone help me with any improvements I could make?

Thank you

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You're already at a very healthy weight so it's going to take a lot of careful logging and patience to get smaller, I think.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're already at a very healthy weight so it's going to take a lot of careful logging and patience to get smaller, I think.

this... you should set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week as you only have a little to lose. having a large deficit isnt neccessary when you are just trying to get rid of 'vanity' pounds.

do you do any strenght/resistance training?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    1200 is kinda low IMO. I'm 5'2 @118lbs and eat 1691 while cutting. Also according to your diary you don't seem to eat back exercise calories. You should.

The closer you get to your goal the slower the weight loss will be. Change your goal to about 0.5lb a week. It would be more realistic.

You already seem at a healthy weight. Are you sure it's not the way your body look and not the weight itself you dislike?

Ditch the scale, weight fluctuate and it's normal especially for a woman. Mine can be more or less up to 10 lbs on any week, yet measurements stay the same. Speaking of measurement, it's a more effective way to track progress along with pics, rather than a scale.

You seem to do a lot of cardio, do you strength train along that too...?

@TavistockToad, you beat me to it, guess it took too much time between calls to type :flowerforyou:
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options

I know I am not underweight but I am on the higher end of normal. My frame is quite small so I think I would look better at about 120lbs
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options

this... you should set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week as you only have a little to lose. having a large deficit isnt neccessary when you are just trying to get rid of 'vanity' pounds.

do you do any strenght/resistance training?

I used to do resistance, but after 2 months I saw no improvement and gave up. I know that's not the right way to do it but I was very frustrated. My gym told me to use small 5kg weights and I didn't think they were helping much.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

I know I am not underweight but I am on the higher end of normal. My frame is quite small so I think I would look better at about 120lbs
    I thought normal/healthy BMI for 5'4" was 117-145 or so. You're smack in the middle of that. I'm not arguing with your goals, I just am not sure you should feel you're on the higher end of normal.

I agree, take up something that builds muscle and not with little girlie weights. :smile:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    1200 is kinda low IMO. I'm 5'2 @118lbs and eat 1691 while cutting. Also according to your diary you don't seem to eat back exercise calories. You should.

The closer you get to your goal the slower the weight loss will be. Change your goal to about 0.5lb a week. It would be more realistic.

You already seem at a healthy weight. Are you sure it's not the way your body look and not the weight itself you dislike?

Ditch the scale, weight fluctuate and it's normal especially for a woman. Mine can be more or less up to 10 lbs on any week, yet measurements stay the same. Speaking of measurement, it's a more effective way to track progress along with pics, rather than a scale.

You seem to do a lot of cardio, do you strength train along that too...?

@TavistockToad, you beat me to it, guess it took too much time between calls to type :flowerforyou:

This saved me a lot of typing time, thanks! What kind of resistance training were you doing? Hi reps/low weights won't do much for body composition.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options

I thought normal/healthy BMI for 5'4" was 117-145 or so. You're smack in the middle of that. I'm not arguing with your goals, I just am not sure you should feel you're on the higher end of normal.

I agree, take up something that builds muscle and not with little girlie weights. :smile:

Could I just go into my university gym and ask them about heavier weights? What kind of weights would I need to be doing?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Could I just go into my university gym and ask them about heavier weights? What kind of weights would I need to be doing?

It would be relative to what is considered heavy for you. I started with just the 45 lb barbell and worked up from there. Check out new rules of lifting for women and strong lifts 5x5. If you enjoy it. I found I love weight lifting but there are other forms of resistance training that can help too. You are your own gym is a body weight exercise program and I've heard a lot of people really enjoy HIIT. Maybe some others can help me out with other good exercise programs, if you find heavy lifting isn't your thing
  • cjone782000
    cjone782000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://www.wikihow.com/Gain-Muscle-in-Women . I hope that article helps.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Kettlebells are heavy, too. Check out livefitrevolution.org.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Read up about Stronglifts 5x5. It's an excellent programme and you'd benefit immensely from it.

Forget the high rep, low weight bull. If your uni gym is giving you that advice, ignore them and follow your own plan.