Just a couple of questions

Options
I have only been on this site for 1 week, this is my 2nd week and I am finding this site very helpful, I am trying not to get under my 1200 calorie goal although last week I was because I didn't understand what the extra calories meant and I still don't so can I have some clarification.

I was also wondering about when the best part of the day is to eat the biggest amount of calories, Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I tend to have my meals more or less equal in calories. I think I usually have more calories in lunch, though, which is actually the meal after I workout.

I don't think it matters too terribly much which one is larger because as long as you are staying in your calorie limit and not stacking up all the calories at one sitting, you should be fine.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? That 1200 mark is how many calories you should be eating when you are NOT exercising if your goal is weight loss. To keep the ratio of calories in v. calories out the same while you are exercising, you need to eat back some of those exercise calories so you don't go too far into a deficit and eat a net calorie level below what is healthy to lose weight. If you do, then you could actually slow your weight loss because your body is hanging on to its excess fat as if it is in a state of emergency...your body can actually "think" it's not getting enough food and slow your metabolism down to compensate (starvation mode).

So basically, if you are not exercising eat 1200 calories. If you are exercising, eat 1200 + some of the exercise calories back so you don't go hungry and slow your metabolism. MFP adds those exercise calories back for you so you know what to shoot for.
  • pumpkin_seed
    Options
    people say its breakfast but I personally need at least two hours wake up time before I can eat.
    and I never have time for a big breakfast plus I don't like filling up.
    I think 10-11 am, is a good time to drink a fruit smoothie and eat some fruit. I snack on little things till lunch.
    I have a big lunch but not overly big and never rich. I want to feel light and energetic,not stuffed and lazy.
    Then I move back to eating less at night. Personally when I want to have something heavy and
    unhealthy I eat it later in the day. again...so that it doesn't slow me down and ruin my whole day.
    hope that is helpful. you'll do great!
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I tend to have my meals more or less equal in calories. I think I usually have more calories in lunch, though, which is actually the meal after I workout.

I don't think it matters too terribly much which one is larger because as long as you are staying in your calorie limit and not stacking up all the calories at one sitting, you should be fine.

Oh ok then cool.
  • susanvanv
    Options
    go to the community site and the first thing listed is "links you'll want to read...again and again." Very educational and very well explained answer to your "do you eat all the calories?" question. You can learn a lot from these links. Hope they help you as much as they helped me.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    honestly? I think everyone is different..I tend to have 250 cals for breakfast and dinner is usually my biggest meal of the day...this is because I make meals for my fiance when he comes home from work.

Whatever suits you should work fine xx
  • TwiFan5
    Options
    Are you exercising? That 1200 mark is how many calories you should be eating when you are NOT exercising if your goal is weight loss. To keep the ratio of calories in v. calories out the same while you are exercising, you need to eat back some of those exercise calories so you don't go too far into a deficit and eat a net calorie level below what is healthy to lose weight. If you do, then you could actually slow your weight loss because your body is hanging on to its excess fat as if it is in a state of emergency...your body can actually "think" it's not getting enough food and slow your metabolism down to compensate (starvation mode).

So basically, if you are not exercising eat 1200 calories. If you are exercising, eat 1200 + some of the exercise calories back so you don't go hungry and slow your metabolism. MFP adds those exercise calories back for you so you know what to shoot for.

Yeah I am exercising, I try and walk my Maltese cross Shih tzu Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday for either 30 mins twice a day or 60 mins once a day, Wednesday my dog and I have Agility for 60 mins. Wednesday to Friday I walk to and from tafe, 30 mins each way, I am going to try and walk my dog on Saturday and Sunday, as you can probably tell I don't like any exercise other than walking but I would love to change my ways without been to drastic so any ideas and I want to burn more calories so what would be good for that.

So just to be clear, on days that I don't exercise although I am hoping to change that, aim for 1200 calories and days that I do exercise I can eat more than 1200 calories.

Thanks for your help. :)
  • TwiFan5
    Options
    go to the community site and the first thing listed is "links you'll want to read...again and again." Very educational and very well explained answer to your "do you eat all the calories?" question. You can learn a lot from these links. Hope they help you as much as they helped me.

Thank you so much, I will check them out.
  • TwiFan5
    Options
    people say its breakfast but I personally need at least two hours wake up time before I can eat.
    and I never have time for a big breakfast plus I don't like filling up.
    I think 10-11 am, is a good time to drink a fruit smoothie and eat some fruit. I snack on little things till lunch.
    I have a big lunch but not overly big and never rich. I want to feel light and energetic,not stuffed and lazy.
    Then I move back to eating less at night. Personally when I want to have something heavy and
    unhealthy I eat it later in the day. again...so that it doesn't slow me down and ruin my whole day.
    hope that is helpful. you'll do great!

Ok then thanks for your help. :)
  • TwiFan5
    Options
    honestly? I think everyone is different..I tend to have 250 cals for breakfast and dinner is usually my biggest meal of the day...this is because I make meals for my fiance when he comes home from work.

Whatever suits you should work fine xx

Ok then thank you, I have researched so much information on the internet and it gets so frustrating when different sites tell you different things,
  • TwiFan5
    Options

Thank you so much, I will check them out.
  • cmerritt923
    cmerritt923 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know this is a little off topic, but I have a Maltese Cross Shih tzu, too! He was a rescue I got a year ago. Adorable!!
  • TwiFan5
    Options
    I know this is a little off topic, but I have a Maltese Cross Shih tzu, too! He was a rescue I got a year ago. Adorable!!

That's ok, Mine is 2 years old, female and a dominant little cow who chooses when she does and doesn't want to listen to me but I am trying to break her of that habit as well as barking and running up and down the fence.
  • cmerritt923
    cmerritt923 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LOL! They sound like they are related! Hammy is certainly his own person, he loves to run the fence line, and barks like a nut. And comes when I call...if he feels like it
  • TwiFan5
    Options
    LOL! They sound like they are related! Hammy is certainly his own person, he loves to run the fence line, and barks like a nut. And comes when I call...if he feels like it
    [/quot

Omg they are exactly the same