What can I order at a Mexican Restaurant?

Options
BrandNewLaura
BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
I need some help! Tomorrow night my family and I are going out to dinner to a Mexican restaurant...what type of meal can I order there that will be a healthish dish? I plan to eat lighter throughout the day in order to save calories, but what can I order?

Here is the restaurant's menu:

http://www.elrodeopa.com/menu (not that I expect someone to actually look at it and pick food for me...just thought I'd post it since I have it here and am studying it lol)

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    Options
    I need some help! Tomorrow night my family and I are going out to dinner to a Mexican restaurant...what type of meal can I order there that will be a healthish dish? I plan to eat lighter throughout the day in order to save calories, but what can I order?

Here is the restaurant's menu:

http://www.elrodeopa.com/menu (not that I expect someone to actually look at it and pick food for me...just thought I'd post it since I have it here and am studying it lol)
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Fajitas aren't too horrible.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I can't view the link sorry hun

But I would go for corn tortilla over flour tortilla

Nothing drenched in cheese

hold the sauce

I usually get a veggie taco

up to you though
  • sculley
    Options
    I can't view the link sorry hun

But I would go for corn tortilla over flour tortilla

Nothing drenched in cheese

hold the sauce

I usually get a veggie taco

up to you though
  • AJneuro
    AJneuro Posts: 33
    Options
    I agree -- fajitas are a good bet -- no sour cream and limit the cheese! Also, if I'm wanting to have some chips and salsa before the food comes, I usually just eat the fajitas sans the tortillas to make up for it -- just the chicken/ steak and veggies -- and if you feel comfortable enough, you can always ask the waiter to go light on the oil or use no oil in preparing -- most restaurants are very good about these requests -- things to stay away froma re the rice and sauces -- though of course salsa is good!
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Yeah, skipping the cheese may be difficult lol...I do love my cheese...but I think it'll be worth it! Thanks for the input!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Hmmmm....was browsing the menu....

Vegetarian items, keep an eye out though for refried beans and cheese.
    A few of their salads look okay.....avoid the shell.
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    If I skip the beans and limit my cheese, can I eat the rice? See...this is why I am heavy...I really have no idea how healthy or unhealthy different foods are...
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I can't get to the link, but I have had luck with Pollo Asado. It is basically charbroiled chicken, peppers and onions, and I just don't eat the beans or rice. Or, there is always Arroz con Pollo (chicken and rice) that is pretty safe - again, without the beans and cheese. Oh yeah, probably skip the margarita, too. :laugh:
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    thanks for all the input...I think i am going to have the chicken fajitas with rice, skip the beans and cheese, no margarita lol, and for the first time not ask for more tortillas for my fajitas like i would have before...thanks again guys! I love this site!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    okay, get
    Arroz con Camarón – 12.79 (shrimp)
    or the chicken salad (under salads)
  • cnolovechild
    cnolovechild Posts: 179
    Options
    glad this thread was posted.....cause i love mexican and haven't been to mexican place since i started this. I love fajitas though!
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    okay, get

That shrimp dish does look good...I will just have to see if I am am feeling shrimpy or chickeny tomorrow night when I go lol...sometimes I feel like I am such a nerd for planning my food 24 hours beforehand, but I know restaurant eating is a problem for me, so I try to head that off by having a plan of what I'll order before I even walk in the door!
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for posting this.. i too love mexican food, so you opened my eyes to some other options :) have a great time tomorrow night!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    okay, get

That shrimp dish does look good...I will just have to see if I am am feeling shrimpy or chickeny tomorrow night when I go lol...sometimes I feel like I am such a nerd for planning my food 24 hours beforehand, but I know restaurant eating is a problem for me, so I try to head that off by having a plan of what I'll order before I even walk in the door!

Totally makes sense to me
  • cnolovechild
    cnolovechild Posts: 179
    Options
    You're not a nerd silly! :tongue: You're being responsible!
  • sculley
    Options
    Its bad but when I go I keep thinking to myself everything in moderation. I will split my entree in half and take the other half home for the next day.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I pigged out on Mexican last night. LOVE IT. Used to have it every Sunday for lunch, now I have it once a month.

My only advice is to top everything with tons of salsa and enjoy the splurge!:smooched:
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    We're leaving in a half an hour when my mom gets off work...I'm thinking the fajitas...and I'm planning to ask for a box when my meal comes...I'll box half up for lunch tomorrow and enjoy the rest...