i need help on overeating at night!

Options
there... i said it! lol i have become such a night eater over the past few months and its starting to show, i hit my goal weight but have gained a few... or 5 because of eating at night. I'll have good intentions and have that last snack of the night (or so I thought) which sometimes turns into one bite of pie, then ill go back for a little more, then maybe a few tortilla chip here and there, then maybe a few bites of something else, grrr believe me this adds up, i mean this doesnt happen every night, but I want more control like I used to have, so if anyone has any tips, tricks, or maybe even starting a group, ANYTHING would be helpful =)

Replies

• gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I drink lots and lots of water during the day just so I can feel full. Before bed time I drink chamomile tea so it can make me drowsy and too lazy to get up and snack. I keep snacks in my room and I'm usually too exhausted to get them, so, I am doing something right lol
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    find healthy things to snack grapes carrots celery granola bars
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    This was my biggest issue. The #1 suggestion I received was go to bed earlier. One thing I did was allow for a healthy snack at night. Usually an apple, orange, or grapes. I usually followed this with a glass of water. Consider that this is also a habit and habits can be broken. Once you stomach shrinks a bit you won't be as hungry at night.

One little trick I use at dinner besides the water is to cut my portions in half so that I can go back and refill my plate. Makes me think I'm eating more and also allows just a little time for the digestion process to get started. Therefore less hunger.

My last little trick is a mental one. I tell myself I can eat more tomorrow so there's no rush to eat more at night.

All the best!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I like to eat late too. I have a casein shake every night before bed, planned and within my daily calorie goal. They are delicious and provide protein to your muscles as you sleep.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Choose to be healthy! Eat your healthy dinner a protein and vegetables. Be full but not stuffed. Brush your teeth. Now you don't want to get them dirty do you? I have just been reading the "Biggest Loser" stuff and the one thing that helps them lose weight and keep it off is the eat 5 times a day, every 3 hours and the afternoon meal and dinner are only protein and vegetables. Not High carbs or fruit. Eat those earlier in the day.

I have more if you want to be my friend and get encouragement! Vickie
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I eat my dinner, usually a bowl of cereal, after I put my kids to bed, around 8:00pm. I used to eat a big huge dinner, often after my kids went to bed, and then I'd go to bed a couple of hours later. Now I eat bigger meals for breakfast and lunch and a small dinner. I try to eat mainly carbs at dinner because they burn up so quickly. (A bowl of cereal will burn up within an hour or so.) That way my body doesn't end up storing a bunch of calories overnight. I also drink a lot of water throughout the day and eat only healthy foods. (I'm eating a little Halloween candy right now but I have plenty of calories left over for it!) I try to have small snacks between meals so that I'm not starving at each meal and that helps me to not need a snack after dinner.
  • lfbarrett
    lfbarrett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    make a promise to yourself not to eat after 7pm or 8pm....you wouldn't break a promise you made to a good friend, well you owe it to yourself to keep your promise to yourself.....keep only 100 calorie snacks on hand at night (plain popcorn, soda crackers, fruit, herbal tea with a bit of honey) just make it your resolve to simply quit eating after a certain time, make it a rule that you have to follow. find other things to do...read, do your nails, go for a walk, call an old friend.....and constantly remind yourself why you want this.....
  • auburngal02
    Options
    I have this same problem too. Looking for any advice
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I think there have been some great suggestions here. I used to be quite a snacker in the evenings. Sip on water throughout the day and make sure you are getting the correct nutritional intake when it comes to food. If you are restricting your eating throughout the day too much, it will catch up with you in the evening.

I think you need to keep your goal at the forefront of your mind...then when you reach for the cupboard you will be reminded on why you shouldn't be eating rubbish.

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • ley1
    ley1 Posts: 115
    Options
    i'm a late snacker too!! i found last night that a hot chocolate and a late workout before dinner worked quite well just didnt fancy anythjing after working out so much!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just stop eat at night and that' it. It will be hard at 1st but then your body will get used to it
    or just eat a late late dinner. I usually don't get out of the gym until 9PM so I just eat a late dinner. After working out hard at the gym, I can't bear the thought of eating all the calories that I just burned it off.
  • Suetobefit
    Options
    I have found that if i keep my hands busy while I am watching t.v. has helped. Can't eat and crochet at the same time. Hope it helps a little.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have a friend going through this. She will wake up in the middle of the night and raid the fridge. She put a sign on the door that says "closed until 7am" - this makes her stop and think about eating before she grabs for anything. It's been a week and no more midnight snacking!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Just stop eat at night and that' it. It will be hard at 1st but then your body will get used to it
    or just eat a late late dinner. I usually don't get out of the gym until 9PM so I just eat a late dinner. After working out hard at the gym, I can't bear the thought of eating all the calories that I just burned it off.

I work out at night too, by the time i get home from working out, i'm not hungry at all...even my protein shake isn't appealing
  • ironmule
    Options
    I too like to snack in the evening. I've stopped keeping junk foods in my place so it helps curve my snacking. The snacks I do keep available are low calorie(100 less a serving) and I eat only 1. My three favorites are light yogurt, sugar free pudding cups, and light string cheese. They usually do the job of curbing my hunger and are pretty darn tasty.