Insanity Workout: Can Big Girls Do It Too?

Options
So I was debating on whether or not to start "The Insanity Workout." It looks awesome, but everybody who I've seen do it only needed to tone and was already skinny. I took to Google to try and figure out the question stuck in my head, "Can big girls do it too, and lose weight?" Is it only to tone and get abs? Will it just tone my fat? Sadly, no luck finding an answer, so now I take to you my fellow fitness buddies. Can obese/overweight people lose pounds on the Insanity Workout?
Please leave me some comments on whether or not you've lost any weight doing the Insanity Workout, or if you've just toned up. (Pics would be very much appreciated.)

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If you put "fat girls doing insanity" into google, it comes up with lots of youtube videos of big girls doing it. Good luck.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Stop Asking about it and try it yourself to find out. Let us know how it goes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Stop Asking about it and try it yourself to find out. Let us know how it goes.

^This
  • meggiewho97
    meggiewho97 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I suppose I could, I just wanted the help of people who may of already done this so I'm not wasting money making my fat tight instead of losing it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I suppose I could, I just wanted the help of people who may of already done this so I'm not wasting money making my fat tight instead of losing it.

Making your fat tight? What? I'm sorry, can you explain this?
  • meggiewho97
    Options
    When you tone, you tone your muscles, like your abdominals. Some exercises are made to tone your muscles, not lose fat. I do not want to tone the muscles hidden underneath my fat, I'd rather lose the fat and then tighten the excess skin.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    When you tone, you tone your muscles, like your abdominals. Some exercises are made to tone your muscles, not lose fat. I do not want to tone the muscles hidden underneath my fat, I'd rather lose the fat and then tighten the excess skin.

...I wouldn't let that stress you out too much
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

You only lose fat if you're eating at a calorie deficit, not based on what workout program you do. That said, you can increase your deficit doing insanity because it will burn a lot of calories. You won't tighten fat. Adipose tissue remains constant as far as its composition and consistency are concerned. You can only affect its volume.

Eat at a deficit to lose weight.
    Exercise to increase that deficit and to gain cardiovascular benefits as well as strengthen muscles.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You should definitely do Insanity, it will help you lose weight and reach your goals. Insanity will not tighten excess skin or tone muscles - any cardio is cardio, it will help you lose fat if you also eat properly. Of course no exercise will help you with your goals if you overeat. But also, you don't need to do a program as difficult as Insanity - you can get just as good results with an easier exercise video like Slim in 6 or Jillian Michaels. As long as it challenges you, you do it regularly, and you eat fewer calories than you burn. Weightlifting is also important in addition to cardio. I hope this helps!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

yeaaaaaaaaah, about that.....
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less.
    Do insanity and eat less = weigh loss and uuhhm..sure.. "toned" muscle.
  • iamwilso
    iamwilso Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will loose weight if you stick to it, same as any other form of exercise. As for can big girl's do it too? definately, you may take a longer rest time or just take a quick break during the workout (this could also apply to someone who is skinny and unfit as well), but as long as you get back into as soon as you can and you're working hard you can definately do it. Give it a go try to stick with it for a minimum 3 week's, weigh yourself before you start and weigh yourself at the end of the 3 week's and see where your at.
  • meggiewho97
    Options
    You should definitely do Insanity, it will help you lose weight and reach your goals. Insanity will not tighten excess skin or tone muscles - any cardio is cardio, it will help you lose fat if you also eat properly. Of course no exercise will help you with your goals if you overeat. But also, you don't need to do a program as difficult as Insanity - you can get just as good results with an easier exercise video like Slim in 6 or Jillian Michaels. As long as it challenges you, you do it regularly, and you eat fewer calories than you burn. Weightlifting is also important in addition to cardio. I hope this helps!

Thanks. :) I'm on a 1350 caloric intake goal, and eat mostly vegetables, so I think I'm okay there. I've heard great things about Insanity, so I might just have to order it and give it a try. I want a huge challenge, more than my typical cardio exercise course, so it should be good. I've done Jillian Michaels but am looking to shake things up.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Big or small it can be done and Shaun t often says to go at your own pace the only way it'll affect anyone is if they had injuries prior I personally have a friend who started at 200 2 weeks in she's 12lbs lighter while eating healthy my first round I started at 170 went down to 140 after 1st month eating healthy and using shakeology that was last year I'm currently on week 4 and started at 167 eating healthy from time to time no shakeology (too expensive) and I'm only down 5lbs so I'm hitting that month but didn't drop as much after having a baby but I can do push ups again and my legs feel better hope that helps I also have an insanity group named "insanity all the way" u r welcome to check it out I can send u a request also for when ur ready to start if u decide on it
  • phoebejeeby
    phoebejeeby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 6', 200 lbs, female and I'm a day away from being half way done (Day 29). Its a great workout and if you are looking for a challenge than this is for you. I have been stuck around the 200-210 mark for a long time, previously lost 60 lbs, so the losing is slowed down. Anyways, I was 201 when i started insanity and am now bouncing between 201 - 205. But even though the scale is not showing my progress all my clothes are getting loose and baggy. I'm noticing the most inches lost around belly, hips, thighs, which is great! I feel strong and balanced and my arms and shoulders are getting some definition ( even though they have fat on them :) Also...i can see my colar bones! I hate the workouts while im doing them....but then the next day I can't wait till work is done so i can go home and get moving. I am someone who is normally obsessed with the numbers on the scale and it did bother me for a few weeks that nothing was changing. But the results are too obvious and I dont care about that darn scale anymore.

One big word of advise. Get down to your undies and take side, front and back photos before starting. I hated my before pics but i hid them away and now im so glad i have them. Being able to compare is very motivating. Take measurements too and be aware of how your clothes fit now. I suck at taking measurements ( i never have consistant pressure on the tape, or i never remember exactly where i took the measurement) so i rely on how clothes fit. Have fun!

Oh! I almost forgot. I am not following the meal plan. I am counting cals, (netting 1600) I aim for 40% Carbs, 35% Protein and 25% Fats. I drink 3 - 4 Litres water a day. No joke!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of jumping in Insanity and there's no way to modify it to reduce impact without compromising the integrity of the program. You could modify it but at that point you would get much more out of a program designed for your current fitness level. It is not recommended for anyone who is obese or significantly overweight to do any sort of plyometric type exercises because the knees and ankles can not take the pressure regardless of how good your form is.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Give it a try! You can always return it! I love Insanity and it's helped me to get where I am today.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ANYONE can do Insanity workouts. Its all about challenging yourself. Shaun T will even tell you its OK if you can't keep up with the people on the screen. Even the people on the video can't keep up, some are taking a break or grabbing water. He tells you to watch your form, stay hydrated and do what you can do. Each day you progress a little farther. If you did 10 high knees, do 11 tomorrow. Go on amazon.com and read the reviews for Insanity. Its fantastic. The workout is fantastic. I've done it, and believe me, it was a challenge to get up each morning and push play, but man, when you're done you feel dam good. I never thought I could do it, only because I get bored easy. But Shaun T is very motivating, and I wanted to prove to myself that I could complete this series once I started it.
    Go for it! Its only you against yourself. And you'll feel so good afterwards and proud of yourself.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    ANYONE can do Insanity workouts. Its all about challenging yourself. Shaun T will even tell you its OK if you can't keep up with the people on the screen. Even the people on the video can't keep up, some are taking a break or grabbing water. He tells you to watch your form, stay hydrated and do what you can do. Each day you progress a little farther. If you did 10 high knees, do 11 tomorrow. Go on amazon.com and read the reviews for Insanity. Its fantastic. The workout is fantastic. I've done it, and believe me, it was a challenge to get up each morning and push play, but man, when you're done you feel dam good. I never thought I could do it, only because I get bored easy. But Shaun T is very motivating, and I wanted to prove to myself that I could complete this series once I started it.
    Go for it! Its only you against yourself. And you'll feel so good afterwards and proud of yourself.

Spoken like somebody who has absolutely no clue about the medical end of things. Joints CAN be overstressed. Obese people should NOT be doing high impact work. Their knees can't take it.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options

....Thanks. :) I'm on a 1350 caloric intake goal, and eat mostly vegetables...

make sure you eat enough protein if you are going to be starting something like this. eating mostly vegetables is good, but your muscles are going to start aching for protein if you don't get enough. and make sure you are NETTING 1350, not just eating 1350, otherwise you will not be getting enough calories