Water consumption

Options
Hi all, I struggle to take in enough water as either forget or have coffee instead. What effect does drinking water have on your diet?

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    um the benefits I see it allows me to eat a little more salt and ice cold water with lemon can temporarily keep me feeling full...also helps my always dry skin

I have a 100 ounce mug I affectionately call big bertha and I like to keep her full with water, ice, lemon, and a tea bag
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As far as direct relation to weight loss, none. You need enough water regardless of your weight to keep your urine pale yellow. Water can help you lose weight by keeping you feeling full by drinking a glass before you eat but it doesn't flush out fat or cause any other miracle weight loss phenomena.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The water you make the coffee with is still water.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It helps to your body function and clean out the toxins in your body. You need it! Drinking too much coffee will have the opposite effect.
  • shalisa7
    shalisa7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies will def have to try and drink more x
  • DavidSroka80
    Options
    I try to drink water throughout the day. Especially before meals. It really helps with curbing appitite. If you do vigours exercize, you want to make sure your doing more than just drink water. Elictorlite Replacment is important. A salty pickel and a banana does the trick for sodium and potassum lost during exercixe.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    um the benefits I see it allows me to eat a little more salt and ice cold water with lemon can temporarily keep me feeling full...also helps my always dry skin

I have a 100 ounce mug I affectionately call big bertha and I like to keep her full with water, ice, lemon, and a tea bag
    I completely misread that and thought that you were able to have a little more salt, ice cold water, and lemon. I was like, "Why would you drink salt and water???" :laugh:

OP, I have no idea. Just make sure that you drink your 8 cups a day. I've read online and in the manual for my scale that you should be at certain water levels, so it must be important. I ignore all of the "you don't have to drink your 8 cups, it's in your food." I'd rather be safe than sorry and go by what real experts have said.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the body misinterprets thirst as hunger. I read that once. So you could *think* you are hungry, when in fact you are dehydrated and need water...not food.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    As far as direct relation to weight loss, none. You need enough water regardless of your weight to keep your urine pale yellow. Water can help you lose weight by keeping you feeling full by drinking a glass before you eat but it doesn't flush out fat or cause any other miracle weight loss phenomena.
    Truth
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You get water in coffee. :wink:

One thing I do is just have a big cup.....it is my purple cup, and no one in the house touches it..... :laugh: :laugh:

So I fill it up and keep it filled when I am at the house...
    I also have a similar one at work and that one stays filled all the time also.....so I drink water all day.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Water is a vital resource that your body needs to properly process food, regulate heat, extract and transfer nutrients, etc. http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/much-water-supposed-drink-healthy-liver-3649.html.

I find that if I'm plateauing, but I'm at or under my calorie allotment, it's often due to inadequate water consumption. So I make a concentrated effort to ramp up my water intake for a few days. One strategy to help with this is drinking bottled water. Walmart and other large box retailers often carry half liter bottles by the case that works out to about 10 - 12 cents a bottle. Drink 4+ bottles a day should be sufficient (more if you eat high sodium foods). I favor bottles over tap water because its already filtered, premeasured, and can be squeezed or crushed (unlike reusable bottles).
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You already got plenty of answers to your question about water's effect on your diet. So I'll just add: as important as water is, don't think you have to force down that "recommended" 8 glasses of water. I tried to do that for a while and had to pee so badly all the time. I asked my doctor about it and he said most people don't need all 8 glasses of water every day. He told me I was peeing so much because I was drinking too much... then I got some lecture about electrolyte imbalance. You get SOME water from your diet (depending on what your diet is). I don't lose a lot through sweat and I eat a decent amount of fruits and veggies so I usually stick to about 6 glasses a day. Any more and I SWEAR my bladder has a full time job.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Pretty much zero effect on fat loss. It's good to be hydrated though but I like coffee.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Since this site is about losing weight HEALTHFULLY, we need to carefully follow all of the recommendations; many of them are made to safeguard our health. Drinking water will not necessarily speed your weight loss (although there is some research that suggests it will) but it will contribute to good health. I always feel better when I meet or exceed the fluid recommendations on MFP. I count tea and coffee in my water count. I always drink at least 8 cups of water in addition to tea and coffee. Remember that a large tumbler of water is likely two cups. It isn't so very hard to drink 4 glasses of water--especially if you are exercising. After a workout, I always drink a large tumbler of water (2 cups). If you aren't getting thirsty, then you likely aren't exercising enough. I never got thirsty before I started working out. Exercise is very important to losing body fat healthfully.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    You already got plenty of answers to your question about water's effect on your diet. So I'll just add: as important as water is, don't think you have to force down that "recommended" 8 glasses of water. I tried to do that for a while and had to pee so badly all the time. I asked my doctor about it and he said most people don't need all 8 glasses of water every day. He told me I was peeing so much because I was drinking too much... then I got some lecture about electrolyte imbalance. You get SOME water from your diet (depending on what your diet is). I don't lose a lot through sweat and I eat a decent amount of fruits and veggies so I usually stick to about 6 glasses a day. Any more and I SWEAR my bladder has a full time job.

If I am pissing clear, then I feel I am good....
    I don't track how many glasses I drink, I just drink alot I know that.....so I am always pissing clear.
    except that now I started taking some multi-vitamins.....so now it is florescent yellow. :laugh: :laugh:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's no one correct amount for everyone, there's no one correct formula for everyone.
    Why do people hang on to the water consumption myths?

Have a read:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774

For those with a short attention span:
    "If you drink too much you pee it out. If you drink too little you get thirsty and pee less. It's all exquisitely well-controlled in the same way that your intake of oxygen is well-controlled.

Saying that you should drink more water than your body asks for is like saying that you should consciously breathe more often than you feel like because if a little oxygen is good for you then more must be better.

Like most things in life there's a Goldilocks amount - not too little and not too much. With this in mind, next week I'll deal with the health benefits of porridge and how to avoid being eaten by bears."
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

One thing I do is just have a big cup.....it is my purple cup, and no one in the house touches it..... :laugh: :laugh:

I also have a similar one at work and that one stays filled all the time also.....so I drink water all day.

And, coffee and anything hot makes me thirsty for water, so it's a win/win.
  • MityMax96
    Options

And, coffee and anything hot makes me thirsty for water, so it's a win/win.

:wink: