10 Promises to Make To Stay Healthy

Options
by Nikki Fitness

1. I will make dates to see my friends and family and do something that doesn't involve eating and drinking. I will walk through the park, ice skate, cross country ski, walk the mall, take a yoga or cardio class, or run on a treadmill right next to my friend.

2. I will think of food as a fuel, not as a gift, which means passing on food that is high in fat and sugar, and taking HALF the portion everyone else heaps onto their plate.

3. If I have to be at a restaurant, I will identify the 3 healthiest things on the menu and pick between those.

4. I will follow the food pyramid daily, and I will take a daily multi-vitamin.

5. I will not eat any bad food that is lying around the office. I will bring healthy snacks to my desk that are sweet and/or salty, like whole wheat crackers, almonds, grapes, or chocolate soy milk.

6. I will drink no more than 2 alcoholic beverages at parties and events (if necessary, cut extra drinks with spritzers) and I will have a snack before these events so I don't attack the buffet line.

7. I will drive less and walk more. I will take the stairs when possible and never go a day without some exercise.

8. I will invest in a gym membership, if I don't have one already, and I will use it. If I don't have the money right now, I will buy an inexpensive workout DVD.

9. I will weigh myself everyday so that I remember my goals and can feel good about the choices I made yesterday.

10. I will reward myself when I stick to these resolutions with something free or inexpensive that makes me happy and inspires me to look and feel good. I will get a new fitness video, a manicure, a new skirt, or take the afternoon off to go on that hike with the kids...

Also, remember what is done is done; don't beat yourself up for what you did yesterday if you slipped. Always look ahead. Live a healthy and active lifestyle day by day.

Replies