Do I have to eat six small meals a day?

Options
Just wondering if six small meals a day is what it takes to steadily and consistently lose weight/build muscle or is my eating at a deficit enough? I just started looking into amateur body building and a lot of the lifters eat six small high protein meals a day. So, should I adapt to the six meals a day or stick with my usual 3-4 meals per day (1 large meal, usually breakfast) and continue eating at a deficit and working out?

Thanks

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry, stay within your calories, you'll lose weight. it doesn't matter whether you eat 6 times a day or only once. Just find what works for you.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I tried eating 6 small meals a day. I never got to eat enough at one sitting to not feel hungry. So for me, no. My answer to you is, "No, you don't HAVE to. Experiment and see how many meals works for you".
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I tried eating 6 small meals a day. I never got to eat enough at one sitting to not feel hungry. So for me, no. My answer to you is, "No, you don't HAVE to. Experiment and see how many meals works for you".

this was my issue as well. I've tried the six small meals before but I would always end up hungry about an hour after each meal. I thought I was crazy.

Also, what are the guidelines for a meal to be considered "small"? Either my meals were just too small or I didn't give myself enough time to adjust to eating small portions.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Bro science silliness. Nothing more
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    In order to build muscle mass after resistance training, and to prevent its loss when you are in a calorie deficit, your body needs a continuous supply of amino acids in the blood stream (from protein consumption). Amino acids aren't stored for later use, and your body can't really use more than about 30 grams every 2-3 hours, so that's one of the reasons for the multiple small, high protein meals.

The other benefit of many small meals is to avoid big swings in your energy balance. It's entirely possible to be in energy balance for the day (calories in = calories burned) but because of the timing of your meals and exercise, spend most of your day either in a calorie deficit or calorie surplus. The former tends to make you loss muscle mass, and the latter tends to make you build fat deposits.

Actual science, not bro science.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry.

\thread
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I hear 12 meals a day is better.
  • Stephanie198907
    Options
    In order to build muscle mass after resistance training, and to prevent its loss when you are in a calorie deficit, your body needs a continuous supply of amino acids in the blood stream (from protein consumption). Amino acids aren't stored for later use, and your body can't really use more than about 30 grams every 2-3 hours, so that's one of the reasons for the multiple small, high protein meals.

The other benefit of many small meals is to avoid big swings in your energy balance. It's entirely possible to be in energy balance for the day (calories in = calories burned) but because of the timing of your meals and exercise, spend most of your day either in a calorie deficit or calorie surplus. The former tends to make you loss muscle mass, and the latter tends to make you build fat deposits.

Thank you!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Thank you!

B.S., but enjoy the silliness
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    the short answer is no.

Stick to your calorie goals, and you can break it up however fits your life best. If that means 3 meals, great. If that means 6, that's fine too.
  • Shateyn
    Options
    I used to eat 3 meals a day like most people but my nutritionist recommended 6 small meals to keep blood sugar levels relatively stable throughout the day and provide the muscles with protein. I definitely lost weight last time I did this but I'm not sure if it's because of this or if is just because of the deficit alone.

Benefits (I found): -much less inclined to binge because when I ate every 3 hours I never let myself get too hungry
    -Much easier to stop eating when I was done my food because I knew I would get to eat again in 3 more hours
    -Less cravings

Cons: -Very inconvenient
    -Awkward in social situations... I began planning my life around meals and it sort of took over.

You definitely train your body to be hungry every 3 hours if you eat every 3 hours though, I'll tell you that much!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 3 meals a day like most people but my nutritionist recommended 6 small meals to keep blood sugar levels relatively stable throughout the day and provide the muscles with protein. I definitely lost weight last time I did this but I'm not sure if it's because of this or if is just because of the deficit alone.

Benefits (I found): -much less inclined to binge because when I ate every 3 hours I never let myself get too hungry
    -Much easier to stop eating when I was done my food because I knew I would get to eat again in 3 more hours
    -Less cravings

Cons: -Very inconvenient
    -Awkward in social situations... I began planning my life around meals and it sort of took over.

You definitely train your body to be hungry every 3 hours if you eat every 3 hours though, I'll tell you that much!

Are you diabetic? That's the only reason why your blood sugars would be out of whack when not eating constantly. Normal people can eat as few or as many times a day as they want without having to worry about blood sugar, so long as you meet your calorie goals. How do I know this? Go to Walmart and buy a blood glucose kit to test for yourself. You can visually see first hand how not eating every 6 hours impacts your levels. A blood glucose kit is only 5 dollars.

Edit
    I've already tested this on myself and blood sugar levels remain constant. If you wake up in the morning and it reads 85, it will be 85 ten hours later even if you haven't had a meal.

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Can you explain how the guys in the link below have such nice bodies by eating only twice a day? Maybe they're not human?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfsaXsV-T4
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Nope. Just do what works for you.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    No science (or bro-science) here, just some educated cogitation regarding 6 "small meals" a day for competitive lifting/body building.

The term "small" is relative. A 180-200lb man doing heavy training for competitive lifting/bod building probably consumes about 2800-3400 calories a day. 6 "small" meals of 466-566 calories may be easier for some to consume than consuming 1000+ calories at one sitting. 3 times a day.

Just my thoughts.
  • Stephanie198907
    Options
    No science (or bro-science) here, just some educated cogitation regarding 6 "small meals" a day for competitive lifting/body building.

The term "small" is relative. A 180-200lb man doing heavy training for competitive lifting/bod building probably consumes about 2800-3400 calories a day. 6 "small" meals of 466-566 calories may be easier for some to consume than consuming 1000+ calories at one sitting. 3 times a day.

Just my thoughts.

makes total sense. thank you!!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Cite plz? I call bullsh1t
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Maybe true to a dergee, but not enough to make a big differance. Just get all your calories you need for the day.
  • imryanblank2
    Options

Haha. Actual science? Really? Please direct me to just ONE study supporting this.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    No. Just eat however it works for you and your day. :)