Fitbit Aria Scale and Pacemakers

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this so I'll post it here. I have a pacemaker that only paces me 2 to 9 % of the time. It is one of the latest pacemakers and very resistant to interference. I wear my iPhone in my shirt pocket which nearly sits on top of my pacemaker and it has never given me any problem. I know that Fitbit says that people with pacemakers shouldn't use it but they also say people with pacemakers don't need to use microwave ovens either. Have any of you guys ever used an Aria scale and has it ever interfered with your pacemaker?

Replies

• Kadje
    Kadje Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am paced 100%. I would have liked to use the Aria scale but it is not advised for those with pacemakers. I guess it wouldn't kill you but apparently the magnetic force can reprogram the PM. You can join the Pacemaker Club online and ask about it. There are some very knowledgeable people there. Microwave ovens aren't a problem. There is at least one more thread about the Aria and PMs on this site. I found it when I was looking for information about using a fitbit with a PM. I've been using the fitbit since August but got a regular digital scale.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming the Aria scale works the same way as the Eat Smart scale that I have. It also says that it sends a small shock through you to measure body fat, bone density, etc. If I were you, I probably wouldn't hop on one just to be safe...

If you're looking to measure body fat percentage, some good ol' fashioned calipers are probably more accurate anyway :)
  • mjames9287
    Options
    Yes, I don't know if its an actual shock. It send some kind of signal through you though apparently. Can you actually feel the event when it sends it through your body? If not them I'm sure it wouldn't be enough to harm a pacemaker.
  • hortoni
    hortoni Posts: 1
    Options
    I've had an aria scale for almost 2 years and also have a pacemaker. I was not aware there was a warning against it and have used it daily. No problems with the pacemaker and all of my device diagnostics come out ok. Just my .02 so please don't take this as medical advice. I have a medtronic surescan and am paced about 25% of the time. I'm going to continue using the scale.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    sounds like cover-their-*kitten* disclaimers to head off irrational people bringing nuisance lawsuits to be judged by nutty juries.

more likely to get hit by a meteorite than hurt by a weight scale. Maybe if you fall off, hit your head and spontaneously combust?
  • piper_pilot
    piper_pilot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Reviving a zombie thread, sorry. I have a letter from St. Jude Medical, the manufacturer of my pacemaker, which says in part "Review of scientific literature showed no evidence of inhibition or inappropriate sensing by pacemakers or ICDs during the use of bioelectric impedance units." They follow by saying they do not "anticipate any interference" from such units (including body composition measurement on home or gym scales) and they note that patients using bioelectric impedance units have not reported problems.

That is what I expected they were going to say when I called them to make sure. My cardiologist has told me in general that aside from a list of specific restrictions (arc welders and so forth), "if you feel funny, move away 5 feet. If you feel better, don't go back to where you were."

Kadje, I'm a member of Pacemaker Club too, and I looked there first; it was discouraging. I'll post this over there as well.