Running break

Options
Hi everyone-

I have a quick question. How long do you runners out there wait,after a half marathon, to start running again? Or, do you not wait at all?

Also, can anyone give me a few ideas to strenghten my knees?

Thanks so much, Zoe

Replies

• emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    After a long run (of 13 miles), I would take the next day completely off (full rest/recover day). By the second day, I would do an "active recovery day" of walking or light biking. By day 3, I'd start light running again (maybe around 3 miles or so at an easy pace).

The best way to prevent knee pain is to take rest days as needed, change up your running surfaces/paces, cross train, and strength train. Strength training once a week for legs should be fine (quads, hamstrings, and calves). Squats, lunges, leg curl, deadlifts, and leg extensions are best.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bump for later :smile:
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    For myself, if my goal is improving my time for my next one, one day off then run a 15K. Strengthing the knees... not sure why you would want to strengthen these - if they are sore or something like that - maybe it's not strengthening that you need, but work a complimentary low impact exercise instead of a running day - like biking or swimming.
  • Michaela722
    Options
    After my last half marathon the next day was my first day of marathon training. I did take one day off and ran an easy pace on my first run afterwards.

I'm running my first full in January - I plan to not run a step for 2 weeks afterwards.
  • paul100
    Options
    How long you wait depends on your experience and how hard you ran your half marathon.

A half marathon doesn't beat you up quite the same way as a marathon, but if you do it at the best pace you can then it'll still take it out of you... so by all means take a day or two off running afterwards.

But as long as you don't have some specific injury then there's nothing wrong with having a gentle run the day after a HM, but keep the pace and distance relatively low (especially the pace). People focus on distance without thinking about pace; but the effort involved in running is very much a function of both... of course different people have very different paces that they're capable of; so you have to learn for yourself what counts as an easy pace and what counts as hard.

If you run regularly it's a good idea to follow the "hard, easy" principal... every time you have a particularly hard running day - either by way of pace or distance - then have an easy day to follow; or a rest day.

If you take rest days from running and want to keep exercising then do some cross-training; anything that gets your heart rate up for a significant period of time is fine. Cycling, rowing, swimming, cross-country skiing, hiking...
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I will wait a day or two then do a short (4-5mile) run.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I will wait a day or two then do a short (4-5mile) run.

Liar! You ran 5 miles the day after your last 1/2 marathon pacing me on my long run! (thank you)