Water Aerobics

darece
darece Posts: 34 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Was thinking of joining a class at the rec center. Has any one ever tried this before? If so, can you fill me in on what to expect. Approx. calorie burned, etc.

Replies

• vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    If you are under 50 (at least where I was) you will be the youngest one there. Don't know about the calories but it was fun. That being said, I didn't get much of a cardio workout, so I added laps afterward.
  • mandiewalters
    mandiewalters Posts: 15 Member
    I do water aerobics, and I love it! I burn over 300 calories per class. I count 50 out of 60 minutes since a few minutes of the hour are spent stretching and not actually working out. There ARE quite a few older people there, but my teacher doesn't teach it to be extremely easy. I have joint problems, and it's a LOT less stress on my knees and joints than other exercises. I would definitely recommend it.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    before I started doing wateraerobics, I could hardly stand more than 6 mins at a time. It such a great work out and doesn't hurt you like other work outs can.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    My chiropractor actually reminded me today this would be good for me to do. :drinker: :love:

I have gone to water aerobics before and it can be a great workout.... low impact on the joints etc.

You have to make the effort to really crank it up though! Don't be influenced by others in the class. :grumble:
    Many are very "mature" (hey, I'm 54!), and seem to be there more for the social aspect of it.
    And/or they cannot move very quickly. So pick a spot in the class where you can M-O-V-E it! :bigsmile: :drinker:

It also helps to wear aqua shoes so you have more foot support & don't slip around on the pool floor.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    If you are under 50 (at least where I was) you will be the youngest one there. Don't know about the calories but it was fun. That being said, I didn't get much of a cardio workout, so I added laps afterward.
    Might be location but there were all ages in my classes, time of day or evening makes a big difference too. :flowerforyou:

It's pretty hard to say how much someone else will burn it'll depend on your own workout, how intense you want it to be. I workout pretty intensely during water aerobics and found it to be a terrific workout with great results! Took a break from it for awhile to change things up for my body and plan on going back to it for awhile over Winter.

It's a great way to get a workout, easy on the joints, water feels sooo good, ppl are fooled into thinking it's easy (IE not much of a workout) because you're in the water but you're still sweating and getting an incredible workout because of the resistance!!

With the right instructor I'd compare it to any regular aerobics class out of the water!

Have Fun:drinker: :wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010

<snip>
    You have to make the effort to really crank it up though! Don't be influenced by others in the class. :grumble:
    Many are very "mature" (hey, I'm 54!), and seem to be there more for the social aspect of it.
    And/or they cannot move very quickly. So pick a spot in the class where you can M-O-V-E it! :bigsmile: :drinker:

It also helps to wear aqua shoes so you have more foot support & don't slip around on the pool floor.
    Excellent points!! Definitely find your place and do your own thing, some do use it as a social outlet :frown: and that's OK I guess if that's why they're there. But it sure can be distracting if you're there for a workout, find the spot where you can hear the instructor and not the socializer's during class!:wink::laugh: Like they say, if you can talk you're not working hard enough:drinker: :tongue:
  • I teach Water Aerobics and I can tell you now - my classes work bloody hard!! They all leave the pool red cheeked & worked. I know that it can be a "oldies class" & if it is, tell your instructor that you are there to work hard & can you have some higher impact options.

Doing things like tucking your knees between moves & jumping off the ground instead of sliding your foot on the bottom of the pool, trying to do it without touching, doing it faster, making a conscious effort to PUSH and PULL the water... USE IT!!

Hope this helps :)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,321 Member
    We use what I call drag bells which use water resistance to do strength training. I really feel it. I do aquafit with walking and without the aquafit I feel I am really missing something. The instructor is important. We had a great one and when he left some were too worried they would hurt us. Just show them you want to step it up. It can be a great work out. It is good when the instructor puts some challenging moves in terms of coordination. That is good for your mind. Sometimes a class will be all older women like me (57)and sometimes it will have a good mix of age and men and women. I am at the point that I really move but others take it easier. That really should be the way all exercise classes are. I do not have any joint issues but the water helps my range of motion since I do more in the water than I would out.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    I teach Water Aerobics and I can tell you now - my classes work bloody hard!! They all leave the pool red cheeked & worked. I know that it can be a "oldies class" & if it is, tell your instructor that you are there to work hard & can you have some higher impact options.

Doing things like tucking your knees between moves & jumping off the ground instead of sliding your foot on the bottom of the pool, trying to do it without touching, doing it faster, making a conscious effort to PUSH and PULL the water... USE IT!!

Hope this helps :)
    aw! Love instructors like YOU!:love:
  • wow, I did a web search and all I came up with is videos that you have to buy! I'm sure somewhere on the internet there is a site that shows different exercises that can be done in the water...I just couldn't find them. Try doing a google search maybe you will find them there. good luck
  • HealthyChanges2010
    wow, I did a web search and all I came up with is videos that you have to buy! I'm sure somewhere on the internet there is a site that shows different exercises that can be done in the water...I just couldn't find them. Try doing a Google search maybe you will find them there. good luck

I Googled and found a ton of links on the web on workout in the pool, check out the ones below:flowerforyou:
    Basically anything you can do on land you can do in the water for the most part! Running, kick boxing, jumping jacks, and the list goes on and on...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2364549_exercise-water-aerobics-routine.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&q=water+aerobics+routines&revid=71188683&sa=X&ei=iQzQTKTKKoj2swOY0PzvAQ&ved=0CG8Q1QIoAQ
  • Pombear
    Pombear Posts: 17 Member
    I have been doing Aqua aerobics for 4 months once a week every monday at my local leisure centre.

My classes have a mixed range of age but the instructor gives us higher intense options if you would like to work harder.

I also gym and do regular swimming 4 days a week so I found it a great way to break up my gym routines so it doesn't get boring.

I love it. Having a good splash in the pool and you don't realised how hard you do work until you get out the pool.

It has definitely helped me shape up and lose weight so far.

Give it ago!
  • carnival31
    carnival31 Posts: 6 Member
    I teach "Aqua Jog" at our local Y. Aqua jogging is known to burn 300 calories per 30 mins. Aqua jog is in the deep end, using flotation belts around your waist. Its a ton of fun, no impact on your joints, and really is a great cardio/toning workout. You can make the most of your workouts too, just really push yourself and you will feel great!!
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    I did them when I was younger, defiantly saw results and it was fun to do. Sadly I do not know about the calorie burn because this was waaay before I started counting calories or even really trying to lose weight. I wish our gym had a pool and did water aerobics since I'd really like to do them again.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Ilove it!!
    I have a bad kee and have been told I need a replacement. But in the aqua class I get a great cardio workout with no knee pain.
    I go to 24hour fitness and my instructors are awesome.
  • darece
    Thanx for all the input.
    I went last night. I am wishing my instructor was't a boy from the local high school swim team!
    I really didn't feel like I had a workout. It was deep water. 30 min. of doing different leg and arm movements from one side of the pool to the other then 15 with the aqua weighs. Might have to look around for something else.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Thanx for all the input.
    I went last night. I am wishing my instructor was't a boy from the local high school swim team!
    I really didn't feel like I had a workout. It was deep water. 30 min. of doing different leg and arm movements from one side of the pool to the other then 15 with the aqua weighs. Might have to look around for something else.
    Of course since I wasn't there I don't quite know for sure what you all did but working out in the deep water is awesome for a full body workout. At least I've found that to be true, you're using your own body weight for the workout against the water, even more of a workout than the shallow water. Perhaps you might give it a time or two more to see if it gets better? I've only had female instructors and I prefer ones over 21. I only say 21 because when I first joined the last gym I was at the young girl was 21 and had no clue what she was doing in regards to teaching. She was a swimmer but was not certified as an instructor. She merely had us walk up and down the pool for 55 minutes.:yawn: Sometimes we got to run the length..:laugh: :grumble: Ohhhh so glad those days are long over. The replacement person was terrific, had I quit the girls class and left I would have not met the new instructor and learned what REAL water aerobics was all about.

There are walking water classes but the class I took was called high intensity, so walking isn't something you think of with it called that.

I can understand how it would be a bit of a surprise with a young instructor from high school...ok, honestly? I can't imagine:laugh:

I wish you well and hope you try it out a bit longer or perhaps find another location if there's one near you?:flowerforyou:
  • darece
    The instructor today was a lot better.... Was still a high school kid. But this one had us doing 1 min. sprints in the deep end.. LOVED IT!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    The instructor today was a lot better.... Was still a high school kid. But this one had us doing 1 min. sprints in the deep end.. LOVED IT!!
    Oh so glad you went back and it was better this time! YAY!!:drinker: :wink:
This discussion has been closed.