How do you cut calories when eating out?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    1. If it's fast food/informal, I carry my own food in a small cooler and eat that while my partner chooses from the menu.
    2. If it's a restaurant, I have a large salad before we leave the house and stick to coffee, or
    3. If possible, I check the menu's nutrition facts online and choose what I feel comfortable with, or
    4. I order a light meal (usually a sandwich), chalk it up to a treat, and resume my regular habits immediately thereafter.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    1. A peice of lean meat cooked without butter or oil.
    2. Steamed vegetables no butter or oil or sauces
    3. Diet coke.

Simple; easy; little consequence.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Don't sit down, when you eat out. Standing burns more calories.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Truth.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

Truth.

It's good for the... core... as well.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Truth.

It's good for the... core... as well.

So is the 30 day shred.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I either get the healthier option or I eat half of something high calorie while eating healthier the rest of the day. I usually will try to eat filling but low calorie foods prior to eating out as well to be less tempted to overindulge.
  • logtecbrad
    logtecbrad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I experienced a first tonight in cutting calories when eating out. I had 6 oz steak, mashed potatoes, broccoli and garlic bread. When I looked at what everything would record at, I decided that I would be able to eat half of the serving of mashed potatoes. I was successful in that and leaving the garlic bread untouched. I was pretty happy to leave some food on the plate and not feel guilty about it or doubling up on the broccoli.:smile:
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    I know this isn't the best approach but since I barely go out to eat I usually get what I want, count it and move on.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Right now I have idea of asking a server to cook (BBQ) salmon (if I order salmon) without any oil and stuff on it, order some lemon to squeeze at my plate on it. This way I would get only calories for salmon. Any other ideas?

I think your approach is a good one. My only advice for you is to request steamed vegetables and/or a garden salad on the side (sans dressing...it's okay to bring your own!) in place of whatever side that already comes with the meal.

I would also stick to ordering lean cuts of protein that have not been fried, battered, dressed in sauce, and etc.

So basically, when you go out to eat with friends and family I suggest you order a baked/grilled/steamed/boiled protein with veggies on the side....and only eat half if the portions are large.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
    Get a salad.
    Skip the bread.
    Choose lower-cal options.
    Bank calories by working out harder or eating less before or after.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with the "low cal" section of the menu - I don't eat out a lot though.
    One thing I've heard of people doing is asking for a to-go box right off the bat and boxing up half the meal before eating to take home.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    look at the menu in advance and plan your meal based on the calorie count as well as knowing what substitutions to ask for.
    also eating half and saving the other half for next days lunch is helpful
  • angex3333
    angex3333 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I order an entree instead of a main meal. Same food just a smaller portion!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything like that regarding asking for the food to be prepared a certain way. I just do portion control and skip the bread. I don't eat out very often so when I do, it's time to enjoy it. If I feel like I might overeat, I just workout a little extra. You won't always know the calories of things in life, so it's important to develop strategies for eating food that you have no control over instead of avoiding social events.

Or, if it really bothers you, just workout more or eat less the rest of the week and bank 500 extra calories for the meal of your choice. Have what you want and eat limited quantities.