No more excuses

Options
Hi everyone! My name's Caryn and I'm 30 years old and I weigh 362 pounds. I found out two years ago that I am insulin resistant and have PCOS as a result as well. It is so...dang...difficult to lose weight, I can't help but give up every time I try. I've been big all my life and I think it's different for those of us who have never been thin. When you're thin and get bigger, you have that motivation to push you back on the right track but when you've never fit into a roller coaster or you can't remember the last time you sat comfortably in a movie theater chair, it's a different mindset.

I am having a very hard time learning how to eat correctly for my condition. After the shock wore off that this would never go away and I would always be considered "overweight" no matter what I lost, I started my research. Low carb, no carb, paleo diet, atkins, cabbage soup, South Beach, the Zone, more water, less water, vegetables, no vegetables... it's overwhelming.

By being here I want to be a witness to other people who are insulin resistant that we can do it together. We can get healthy and prolong our lives and don't have to sit there and contemplate those dark thoughts of self-harm that I know we have all had at one time...

I want to be a mom. I want to ride a bike again. I want to go on a hike for longer than an hour. I want to run a marathon. I want to shop in a regular store and not see a "W" next to by size. I want to be happy for once in my life and not wonder what people are thinking when they see me. I want to not have to make a "fat joke" to break the ice.

I want to do all of these things and more... and I will. Why don't you come with me on this journey?

Replies

• leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm sending you a request!
    I would be happy to offer you support. I've just been diagnosed as pre diabetic, and don't know much at all about diabetes or insulin resistant diabetes. But I sure understand the No More Excuses Plan! :)
  • carynburns83
    Options
    Thank you very much! Being insulin resistant just means that the insulin your body creates does not get absorbed back into the pancreas as it should. Instead it finds its way into the fat cells and makes it extremely difficult to burn off. Weight gain is easy and weight loss is slow. I do know that a diabetic diet (low carbs, high protein, etc.) is extremely helpful as well. I'm on Metformin and Levothyroxin (for the thyroid enzymes that are messed up by the insulin resistance) and I know we can do this together, with everyone else too!! :)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I believe there are some great groups here for PCOS support. You might find it helpful in addition to the general awesomeness that is MFP. You can also search the boards for success stories and extra motivation. Sometimes that gets me going when little else will. I don't have PCOS, but I have some friends who do and seem to be having some luck with a lower carb diet. And I know what you mean about how it's different when you've always been bigger. Until recently, I was resigned to thinking that I'd just be the big girl forever.
    You're welcome to add me if you like. :smile:
    Good luck!
  • rosemarierodriguez88
    Options
    You can do it! :) (I'm on Metformin and phentermine but they make me sick) :(
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hello! I would love to help offer you support on MFP! I have had an incredible journey so far and still have a ways to go. I have been overweight for my entire life as well. I'm 5'2" and started at 236 pounds. I have had hashimoto's thyroiditis since I was 11 and have a completely dead thyroid. Even though I don't have PCOS, I understand it fairly well. My sister (BBREZE) has PCOS and is pre-diabetic. She just started logging her food a few days ago and is starting her journey here as well if you'd like to add her! She has a long journey ahead of her the same as I have, but I'll let her tell you all about that. :)
  • carynburns83
    Options
    Thank you so much! It's really cool to have the support system here. I never had people rooting for me that I never met, lol
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh man! It just gets better. I wouldn't have made it this far without my pals! I have a big huge place in my heart for MFP and its people!!