Best Antidepressants?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Also, I think there are a lot of people commenting in this thread who have never experienced real depression...I agree that medications should be used in combination with other methods, but for some people their depression is so bad they need the medication first before anything else can be considered.

For reals, people. :drinker:
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Paxil works well for my anxiety and ocd
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i find copius amounts of booze work for me
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    St Johns Wort.

Borderline manic depressant here & it's the only one that has worked for me.

Want to explain that to my mother who despite all of that 'therapy' she was still schizophrenic, or to me where I am borderline manic.

So, which is it?

"Borderline manic depressant" that's mild enough to be treated with St.Johns Wort? (Which by the way, would not be effective with true Bipolar disorder).

Or, "borderline manic" which is so severe that therapy is ineffective? (See my post about DSM-IV codes)
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D
    Magnesium
    Exercise
    Vegetables

Not being funny, Ive taken many on your list, above is what works for me now.

It may sound like I'm not taking question seriously but I truly believe this. I have battled depression for most of my life. I have tried meds, but I (and my family) hated how they made me feel, so I stopped taking them and avoided doctors. (my poor husband)

In June I saw a picture of myself, and that sent me into a spiral until I decided to do something about it. June 30th I bought myself a fitbit and I joined mfp. Taking control over my life, and watching the weight come off has been the BEST form of depression therapy that I have ever found! I also take a Multi-Vitamin, Magnesium, Omega 3's, Vitamin D & B12.

This summer I have went through some very stressful situations that would have normally had me in bed for WEEKS, but focusing on my health, eating right, exercising gave me something to control in a world that I found out of my control. I no longer could beat myself up for being a failure at something when I am ROCKING the weight loss (I am VERY proud of myself) My husband is amazed at the difference. This isn't to say that all is perfect, I have my moments, but they are few and far between and last for a VERY short time. I hope this helps.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D
    Magnesium
    Exercise
    Vegetables

It may sound like I'm not taking question seriously but I truly believe this. I have battled depression for most of my life. I have tried meds, but I (and my family) hated how they made me feel, so I stopped taking them and avoided doctors. (my poor husband)

In June I saw a picture of myself, and that sent me into a spiral until I decided to do something about it. June 30th I bought myself a fitbit and I joined mfp. Taking control over my life, and watching the weight come off has been the BEST form of depression therapy that I have ever found! I also take a Multi-Vitamin, Magnesium, Omega 3's, Vitamin D & B12.

This summer I have went through some very stressful situations that would have normally had me in bed for WEEKS, but focusing on my health, eating right, exercising gave me something to control in a world that I found out of my control. I no longer could beat myself up for being a failure at something when I am ROCKING the weight loss (I am VERY proud of myself) My husband is amazed at the difference. This isn't to say that all is perfect, I have my moments, but they are few and far between and last for a VERY short time. I hope this helps.

Nice!
    Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D
    Magnesium
    Exercise
    Vegetables

This, and I would also add a super B vitamin to this. Works best. I haven't been on meds for YEARS thanks to the above combination.
  • TheRottenRabbit
    Options
    Sex, or good ol' mary jane! I kicked my anti-depressants years ago! I have felt better since!!!!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    St Johns Wort.

Borderline manic depressant here & it's the only one that has worked for me.

Want to explain that to my mother who despite all of that 'therapy' she was still schizophrenic, or to me where I am borderline manic.

So, which is it?

"Borderline manic depressant" that's mild enough to be treated with St.Johns Wort? (Which by the way, would not be effective with true Bipolar disorder).

Or, "borderline manic" which is so severe that therapy is ineffective? (See my post about DSM-IV codes)

Therapy does not work for everyone, just like some medications do not work for everyone. Therapy has never worked for me yet something as simple as St Johns Wort has. Just like with my back injury...medications & therapy that has helped many people does nothing for me, yet walking all day does; something that others in my situation would not be able to do.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Paxil made me emotionless. Can't recall what the next thing my doctor tried was but it murdered my libido but neither affected my weight.

Severe depression only really went away when I stopped taking those meds and opted for exercise, vegan diet, daily meditation, got a dog. Which is not to say that's the right solution for everybody. I hope you find what works for you both physically and mentally. <3
  • Luvtobemum
    Options
    Im on Zoloft now for the second time and the first time I gained alot of weight, hoping not to this time,. But I see you mentioned other side effects your not keen on, did you happen to get headaches when you started it? im taking zoloft again cause it was a great way to prevent my chonic headaches the first time, and also for depression. Thank you for any reply. :)
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    5-HTP
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I love how people seem to think things like sex & a walk or massage will 'fix' depression.

No... it MAY fix a bad mood.... but not diagnosed depression.

Being in a bad mood or a slum is totally different.

OP asked about ANTI DEPRESSANTS.... not how can I get out of a mood.
    I'm trying to determine if the majority of folks in this thread figure you can also mend a broken arm by rubbing some dirt on it and getting back to chin-ups, or if they just don't think that the brain is a part of the human body that can sustain damage.

Have you ever actually tried being consistent with the things everyone is suggesting and see if it helps in the long run? Why can't they be antidepressants too? Thinking outside of the box is a good thing sometimes you know...I just feel really sad that you assume that only pills can solve problems (at least that's what I'm assuming that you're assuming.)

Antidepressants don't cure depression, just like taking cough medicine doesn't cure you from having a cold - it only masks the symptoms. If you're using medication to help with depression but don't attempt to make any lifestyle changes a long with it, once you go off of the medication (if you ever can - it seems like many people I know that are on it are too afraid to try and function off of it, and I don't know about you, but I don't want to be medicated for the rest of my life just to be able to deal with, well, life) many of those same triggers that influenced the depression in the first place will still be there. And then what happens? The depression comes back. Suprise surprise.

I'm with what everyone else has been saying. I used Cipralex for less than a year and it helped quite a lot, but you know what helped even more? Dumping that boyfriend that was triggering the stress and depression the most, getting a new job to get out of a toxic work environment, being active and getting outside in the sun instead of sitting on the couch and eating my feelings, and changing my diet to include more fruits and vegetables, whole foods, and meals made from scratch rather than eating everything from a box or drive-thru. Also taking the time to learn to love myself and all my imperfections and to embrace change instead of letting all those little things in life bring me down.

Positive lifestyle changes. They make the best antidepressant I've found so far.
    You mean, like daily exercise and watching what I eat, singing every day (an activity I enjoy), while reminding myself I need to shower and groom myself every day day to look presentable? Yes, I have. No, these steps did not help my depression. At all.

I'm really, honestly glad for you that sunshine, sit-ups, and smiling before you felt the need were sufficient to 'cure' your depression. Please do not presume that these will work for others, any more than a hug from Mom - a perfectly viable cure for many a skinned knee - will fix all physical wounds. Antidepressants do more than 'mask the symptons;' they provide or help the body produce chemicals associated with feelings of positive well-being that many depressed people do not produce in statistically 'normal' amounts.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants/MM00660
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I love how people seem to think things like sex & a walk or massage will 'fix' depression.

No... it MAY fix a bad mood.... but not diagnosed depression.

Being in a bad mood or a slum is totally different.

OP asked about ANTI DEPRESSANTS.... not how can I get out of a mood.
    I'm trying to determine if the majority of folks in this thread figure you can also mend a broken arm by rubbing some dirt on it and getting back to chin-ups, or if they just don't think that the brain is a part of the human body that can sustain damage.

Have you ever actually tried being consistent with the things everyone is suggesting and see if it helps in the long run? Why can't they be antidepressants too? Thinking outside of the box is a good thing sometimes you know...I just feel really sad that you assume that only pills can solve problems (at least that's what I'm assuming that you're assuming.)

Antidepressants don't cure depression, just like taking cough medicine doesn't cure you from having a cold - it only masks the symptoms. If you're using medication to help with depression but don't attempt to make any lifestyle changes a long with it, once you go off of the medication (if you ever can - it seems like many people I know that are on it are too afraid to try and function off of it, and I don't know about you, but I don't want to be medicated for the rest of my life just to be able to deal with, well, life) many of those same triggers that influenced the depression in the first place will still be there. And then what happens? The depression comes back. Suprise surprise.

I'm with what everyone else has been saying. I used Cipralex for less than a year and it helped quite a lot, but you know what helped even more? Dumping that boyfriend that was triggering the stress and depression the most, getting a new job to get out of a toxic work environment, being active and getting outside in the sun instead of sitting on the couch and eating my feelings, and changing my diet to include more fruits and vegetables, whole foods, and meals made from scratch rather than eating everything from a box or drive-thru. Also taking the time to learn to love myself and all my imperfections and to embrace change instead of letting all those little things in life bring me down.

Positive lifestyle changes. They make the best antidepressant I've found so far.
    You mean, like daily exercise and watching what I eat, singing every day (an activity I enjoy), while reminding myself I need to shower and groom myself every day day to look presentable? Yes, I have. No, these steps did not help my depression. At all.

I'm really, honestly glad for you that sunshine, sit-ups, and smiling before you felt the need were sufficient to 'cure' your depression. Please do not presume that these will work for others, any more than a hug from Mom - a perfectly viable cure for many a skinned knee - will fix all physical wounds. Antidepressants do more than 'mask the symptons;' they provide or help the body produce chemicals associated with feelings of positive well-being that many depressed people do not produce in statistically 'normal' amounts.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants/MM00660

This +1

Know how much sex I'd have to be having to make me feel better each day? I'd never be able to leave bed.
  • peachcats
    Options
    people who think depression is just being sad and thinking it can be fixed by jogging and some vitamin D are incredibly wrong.
    seek real help, not armchair psychologists.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Oh God. SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!

/thread
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Weed & Exercise :drinker:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Weed & Exercise :drinker:

Actually weed would have the opposite effect for depression. It's not a wonderful magical drug, nor one that should be used at all IMO
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    Walking away from a 24 year career worked for me. I was lucky that my depression had an external cause.

I think that's exactly what I need.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Frequent sex