Extra calories from pan frying?

Options
For example, if you fried some eggs and used a tbsp of olive oil, do you add the whole tbsp of olive oil to your diary?

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Yes. I measure all oil /butter.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I add some but not usually the whole amount of oil/butter, since some stays in the pan. I do try to be pretty generous in my estimates, though.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    If you want you can weight the oil you add, fry your eggs, remove eggs, weigh a paper towel, wipe out pan, re weigh paper towel, subtract unused oil from original oil weight and log it. Personally fiats just too much work for 9-12 cals.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you want you can weight the oil you add, fry your eggs, remove eggs, weigh a paper towel, wipe out pan, re weigh paper towel, subtract unused oil from original oil weight and log it. Personally fiats just too much work for 9-12 cals.

what a fantastic idea!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    A tbsp of oil would be 120 cals added to your eggs, so why not count it? If there is some left on the pan, maybe you could add it as 1/2 tbsp or 3/4 tbsp based on eyeballing how much is left over.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My newest love is dry frying quesadillas in my cast iron pans. No added oils but it won't work for eggs. Dang it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Or you could cook something starchy after the egg that will absorb any excess fat, then you can count it all :wink: I pan-fried felafel last night, and after each batch I had to add another tablespoon of oil, because what was in there was completely absorbed by the previous batch.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't use a lot of oil for frying, so I tend to just count what I added to the pan. If there's lots left over, you can measure it and subtract that. I like the idea of using the paper towel.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I add the minimum amount necessary so there isn't any left in the pan. I usually only need about a teaspoon. You can use cooking spray too if you don't want the calories!