YONANAS!!!???

Options
Crystal0827
Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
Anyone use this? is it better then a blender, just curious? Gonna try the frozen banana thing in replace of ice cream.

http://www.yonanas.com/

Replies

• opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    dunno - for $50 bucks I'd prob stick with my blender, but thats just me.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    To copy my question from another bananas instead of ice cream thread...........

Really not trying to start debate......but serious question..........In 3 bananas you are looking at approximately 300-450 calories. Pretty much all sugar. 1C mashed has 200 cals, 1 fat, 51 carbs, 2 protein. 1C of lower fat ice cream (edys slow churned, etc) has 240 Cals, 9 fat, 36 carbs, 6 protein.
    Is the idea that you would prefer to have carbs/sugar as opposed to dietary fat? If so why?
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    What's my name?

:smokin:
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    To copy my question from another bananas instead of ice cream thread...........

Really not trying to start debate......but serious question..........In 3 bananas you are looking at approximately 300-450 calories. Pretty much all sugar. 1C mashed has 200 cals, 1 fat, 51 carbs, 2 protein. 1C of lower fat ice cream (edys slow churned, etc) has 240 Cals, 9 fat, 36 carbs, 6 protein.
    Is the idea that you would prefer to have carbs/sugar as opposed to dietary fat? If so why?

Point taken. LOL. I guess I made myself 'think' a banana was healthier. I never looked at the details, until just now. Thank you very much!!!!!!
  • ReginaW0313
    ReginaW0313 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly whats in the icecream but the bananas should be full of potassium. Also on weight watchers fruit is free so with this you can have a snack with zero point value. I guess it depends what type of diet your following. I do want to try to slow churned icecream too!
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my yonanas! And so do my kids!! It works way better than a food processor or blender. The consistency of your fruit is actually like ice cream! IMO, it works great and is worth the money! I use mine at least 2-3 times a week. You can use only 1 banana for a recipe, and cut back on the calories. You do have to scrape it out when you're done, to get all the fruit out, but it's not difficult. Only downfall I see is that you MUST wash it immediately, or at least rinse it well; since the mushed banana is difficult to clean if you let it dry. It's healthy, natural food, so it is definitely better for you than any processed and sugar filled ice creams or frozen yogurts. And you can make just about any flavor you want! The other night, I had watermelon and banana! Awesome! My favorite so far is my banana split....dark sweet frozen cherries, pineapple, banana and a little bit of chocolate on top! It really satisfies the sweet cravings!
  • klconsidine
    klconsidine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of purchasing one, do you actually taste the bananas? I hate the taste of bananas so I am just curious.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly whats in the icecream but the bananas should be full of potassium. Also on weight watchers fruit is free so with this you can have a snack with zero point value. I guess it depends what type of diet your following. I do want to try to slow churned icecream too!

Just because some WW plans consider fruit to be free...doesn't change the fact that a single banana is about 100 calories...not even close to "free" if I added a couple of bananas a day on top of everything else I eat, that would drastically reduce my success.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options

Just because some WW plans consider fruit to be free...doesn't change the fact that a single banana is about 100 calories...not even close to "free" if I added a couple of bananas a day on top of everything else I eat, that would drastically reduce my success.

and this is why I GAINED weight on weight watchers...among other rules they have.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my yonanas! And so do my kids!! It works way better than a food processor or blender. The consistency of your fruit is actually like ice cream! IMO, it works great and is worth the money! I use mine at least 2-3 times a week. You can use only 1 banana for a recipe, and cut back on the calories. You do have to scrape it out when you're done, to get all the fruit out, but it's not difficult. Only downfall I see is that you MUST wash it immediately, or at least rinse it well; since the mushed banana is difficult to clean if you let it dry. It's healthy, natural food, so it is definitely better for you than any processed and sugar filled ice creams or frozen yogurts. And you can make just about any flavor you want! The other night, I had watermelon and banana! Awesome! My favorite so far is my banana split....dark sweet frozen cherries, pineapple, banana and a little bit of chocolate on top! It really satisfies the sweet cravings!
    LOL, milk, eggs, and sugar are actually all pretty darn healthy for you, considering your get way more sugar per banana, with equal serving sizes. Calorie for calorie, bananas are a pretty poor source of potassium. 1 cup of milk contains as much potassium as a banana. A serving of ice cream has almost as much potassium as a banana. What exactly makes the banana so much better? It lacks the healthy fat that milk and ice cream contain, so I don't see it as "better."

ETA: I eat both bananas and ice cream daily.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    It's totally different than a blender. It turns the frozen fruit into ice cream/frozen yogurt. I got it as a house warming gift last year, but never tried it until a few weeks ago. It's pretty cool! :)
  • ilvtb
    ilvtb Posts: 1
    Options
    I use my yonanas every day. It's wonderful.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've used mine once so far and it was delicious! Since I don't do dairy, this was a very nice alternative and you can add all sorts of fruit to it to change the taste. I've tried a blender but had to add a liquid to get it blended. I like mine, and I'd recommend it:)
  • KBall2013
    KBall2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a Yonanas and I love it. If it's the bananas that so many of you are worried about, there are a lot of great recipes you can make without having to use a single banana. And like everything, it's all about moderation.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Looks great, but doesn't look like anything that I can't do with a good blender.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I got a yonanas machine for $20 recently at walmart.
    I find that banana+4 ice cubes of nonfat plain greek yogurt+cocoa+other flavorings=yummy.

Yes, I use frozen greek yogurt in the yonanas machine. It works, and it gives it a milkier taste. It also cuts down on the calories and adds protein.
  • NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Looks interesting, but I already do the same thing with my Ninja, And I make my smoothies with the same machine.
  • naturallee_me
    naturallee_me Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also have a Yonanas and it blends fruit together into a creamy soft-serve ice cream. Generally a blender or food processor will give you a sorbet texture. I love my gadget. I generally only use one banana and add strawberries or other fruit. With 1 banana and 1 cup of strawberries you have only 150 calories and no added sugars, etc. I made frozen cupcakes last week with fat free topping...yum! And only 65 calorie per pie.

I don't regret the decision. I did get my for around $20 dollars.

Pros:
    You only need fruit, no yogurt, no juice, no milk, and no water needed.
    And it taste amazing!

Cons:
    Loud machine
    About 1/4 of the mixture can be found stuck on the inside were the blade is and you have to us a spatula to get it out.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you can get it for a decent price it is cool. I use mine with only one banana and then other fruits. I do agree you can get some ice creams for approx the same calories however if you are like me and have no self control then having the yonana's is a better option lol If i have ice cream in the house i do not stop at one serving so it is much better for me to keep fruit in the freezer and if i am craving ice cream i make some yonana's.