Getting gallbladder removed today....

Options
Hi everyone. I am currently in the hospital getting my gallbladder removed this afternoon. This was completely unexpected. From the blogs I have seen. I need to go to a more high protein diet and smaller meals. I already do the small meals so I will continue but I want to see if anyone had their gallbladder removed and how their diet changed. I won't be able to work out for about 6 weeks besides walking :-/.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Replies

• starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in 2005 (I'm 32 yrs old now) and I just tried to cut out really greasy stuff.

Good luck with your surgery and hoping you have a speedy recovery!
  • PamelaD88
    PamelaD88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 25 now so close in age when you got it too. Some things I am reading have such a large variety of foods that I'd practically not eat anything. Which scares me because I'm a picky eater. Some people say it's trial by fire and see what you can eat. But greasy foods are pretty much a guarantee. Going to miss my fast food but I've been trying to eat much less of that anyway haha

Thanks!
  • jbuc07
    jbuc07 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Had mine out in 2006, (I'm 29 now). It was a very easy surgery, home the same night. The worst of it all will be going to the bathroom after, DEFINITELY take the stool softeners. TMI, yes, but they suggest them for a reason.
    Anyway, I didn't really change my diet. I did while I was enduring the pain (before they discovered what was wrong), but that was out of necessity. I think I tried to eat healthier, but since I was working in the PACU, and I honestly thought I could eat whatever I wanted, I did..... LOL.

So, it's entirely up to you. If you want to use this opportunity to eat healthier, do it! If you don't, it isn't going to really matter. (In MY opinion).

God Bless!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice for you...I just wanted to wish you all the best. Get well soon! :flowerforyou:

ETA - post-surgery diet is probably something you should discuss with your doctor. For some people, this is pretty severe and requires a hard core change in diet. Some change their diet to avoid overloading their bodies because the gallbladder isn't there to do its thing. For others - most, it seems, but I'm not a doctor - they can slowly return to a normal diet.
  • kilowidget
    Options
    It took a year for my system to get back to "normal". Fatty, greasy foods (bacon) are pretty much off of the menu for me. I agree with whoever told you it was a "trial by fire" to figure out what works and what doesn't. I have found that as long as I eat a fairly bland breakfast, that will set my stomach up with a good base and then I can eat pretty much whatever I want for the rest of the day. Just take it slowly - good luck - you'll figure it out :).
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in 2008. The only time I have any problems is if I eat something that has a lot of oil/grease in it or if I eat nuts. I can eat creamy peanut butter, but nothing with crumbled or whole nuts. I also can't eat popcorn. Some people find that they can no longer eat corn, beans, tomatoes, or other things with seeds or tough skins. Everyone is a little different. However, most people I know don't have to change their diet very much at all, except for the during the month after surgery.

Also, your doctors may neglect to mention some things involving pain and the area where your gallbladder once was. Some people never experience any of these things, but here are some problems that I have had.

1. "Phantom" pain for about a year after surgery. Not the entire "gall attack" kind of pain, but the ache you'd get beforehand. I would experience it off and on, a pain in the precise spot my gallbladder had been. In fact, I'm having it right now just from discussing this! xD It's all a mental suggestion.
    2. Pain in that area when sneezing or coughing. This can be said after a lot of abdominal surgeries. Scar tissue forms and gets pulled when you sneeze or cough and it can be excruciating for half a second.
    3. Pain when twisting too far left or right. Again, this has to do scar tissue forming and being connected to moving muscles.

None of these pains ever had me doubled over or crying, or even worried, so if you experience something worse than that post-op, be sure to call your doctor. Are you have a laparoscopic procedure? Those are the easiest to recover from.

ETA: I still eat fast food. I still eat bacon. Everyone is different, some people have to swear off the stuff forever. You'll have to experiment carefully when you feel better.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am currently in the hospital getting my gallbladder removed this afternoon. This was completely unexpected. From the blogs I have seen. I need to go to a more high protein diet and smaller meals. I already do the small meals so I will continue but I want to see if anyone had their gallbladder removed and how their diet changed. I won't be able to work out for about 6 weeks besides walking :-/.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

you will learn by trial and error what you can eat and can't eat.

I had mine out about 15-16 years ago, and I can eat pretty much anything. However, I know that if I eat too much grease, spice, or rich food, I will end up having a round of "dumping syndrome".
  • bbg_daryl
    Options
    "dumping syndrome".

I like that phrase! :laugh: Sounds much less gross than some of the others.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I was about 25 when I got mine out too. Before the surgery I couldn't eat any high fat food - I had a mouthful of cake one day and ended up curled up on the couch moaning in pain for hours after it! But since the surgery I had absolutely no problem and have been able to eat whatever I want. I was told that I would be able to eat fatty food afterwards (by my friends, not my doctor) but I have never had any issue at all.
    I hope it all works out for you! Expect to be very tired for a couple of weeks so plan to take it easy and give yourself time to recover.
  • bbg_daryl
    Options
    Oh! There is one exercise I know you can do post-op. Walk! :D My doctor told me to get up and walking as soon as I was able, especially to help with the excess gas you'll have from being opened up. The day of my surgery I slept the entire day and night, but the following morning, I was walking around the hospital hallways. Very slowly and carefully, though. You'll be tired for a week or so afterwards, but you should walk around the house when you get home. Just don't tired yourself too much.
  • PamelaD88
    PamelaD88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love the dumping syndrome phrase haha. Yea I've had pain but never really thought it was my gallbladder (didn't know the symptoms) and yesterday I was curled in bed and in tears. So here I am. Two nights in the hospital for me. I will just play by ear and use caution. Thanks everyone. (I don't know what I would do without peanut butter!!!!)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    6 weeks?? I had mine out in 2006 and was back to work in one week, back to exercise in about 2-3. I had it done laproscopically, though. What a difference that makes!

I just feel sick if I eat greasy food, or too rich. That should be limited regardless, but that sick feeling really makes me think about something before I eat it. Is it worth it, yes or no.
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2007 at age 48 It was done laproscopically and I was in and out the same day...within just a few hours actually. Was walking around that afternoon, and pretty much back to normal the very next day. I never really changed my diet either. It was one of the easiest things I've been through. Piece of cake! Good luck to you!
  • XXElmaXX
    Options
    Mine was taken some 8-9 years ago.
    I was never told I needed more protein than usual.
    I can eat what ever, I even eat bacon.
    I was told I should avoid fat food and I did to begin with.
    Now I can eat anything without any problems.

Good luck, rest and start again slowly when your wounds have healed.
  • moritz7588
    moritz7588 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 4 years ago. It did not change my diet in any way.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    "dumping syndrome".

I like that phrase! :laugh: Sounds much less gross than some of the others.

that is actually what the doctor's call it!! I tend to be an "early" dumper. I get the bloating, cramping, diarrhea, and fatigue. And not to be TMI, but there is generally a lot of bile in it, so it burns your bum :(

from wikipedia:
    Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying is a condition where ingested foods bypass the stomach too rapidly and enter the small intestine largely undigested. It happens when the small intestine expands too quickly due to the presence of hyperosmolar (having increased osmolarity) contents from the stomach. This causes symptoms due to the fluid shift into the gut lumen with plasma volume contraction and acute intestinal distention.[1] "Early" dumping begins concurrently within 15 to 30 minutes from ingestion of a meal.[1] Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness, and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens one to three hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types.
  • vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I had mines removed in 2010 at age 21. The only thing I changed was to cut out greased foods and Fast food. One other 'food' that I probably should cut out is Chocolate. If I've had too much, I get a slight pain around the area both front and back and causes ache to the shoulder blade and chest area.

And if your going walking anytime soon after the surgery, I say wow. I hated that my insides felt they've been misplaced. Good luck to you!
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about a year and a half ago. I have never had any problem with any foods at all. I eat just the way I used to. Now that I think of it my Dr. didn't even talk to me about diet afterwards, which is odd. Good luck and you'll be fine. I'm sure you'll have to just try and see what your body says you can eat.
  • kymee12
    kymee12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i had mine out in april..... no biggie!!!! i was back at it after 10 days..... you'll do great!!! i also had an umbilical hernia fixed at the same time..... dr gave me the go ahead at my 10 day mark..... just keep moving around, you will stiffen up!!!!
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder taken out over 2 years ago, and my eating has never been any different, honestly I never heard that it needed to be any different including portion sizes, the only thing that changed for me................sorry if tmi but is the frequency of when I had to use the restroom depending on what I ate but that's the only difference I've ever had after it, and don't be worried about it, it's really no big deal just about 4-5 itty bitty incisions it's really not that bad at all