How many calories to eat? Am I getting enough?

Options
Hi, everyone! I've casually browsed these forums for awhile for health advice since I'm sort of still coming back from some disordered tendencies. I find myself confused and overwhelmed on how much one is supposed to eat! Growing up I always heard that 2,000 calories was about the norm, but now I find a lot of women my age only eat 1200-1400 calories a day. I'm 21, 5'3 and 105 pounds, and I checked a bunch of calculators to see what the average was for me. Based on the fact that I'm a preschool teacher (running around after those little kids all day! Haha!) and in my spare time I do a lot of walking (shopping at the mall is like a brisk-paced, all-day event for me) and I've also recently started doing the Bloglilates exercises (fun!) which I supplement with 30-45 min on the elliptical when I can, (I put in "moderately active" for activity level), most of the calculators are saying I need about 2000!

I try REAAALLLY hard not to count too much, but I'm still pretty obsessive, so on average I get between 1500-1700 a day and usually freak out a little bit if I go over that. Since starting the pilates exercises, I've discovered I'm REALLY hungry a lot more. I'm worried this might mean I'm not eating enough which could probably screw up my metabolism in the long run--BUT I've also heard that it's not good to overestimate your calories based on workouts that aren't really that strenuous and end up eating too many calories.

How do you guys find the right balance? I tried asking my doctor, but he wasn't super helpful. :/ He told me "it'll probably average out by itself in the long run as long as you eat mostly the same foods". And does 2000 cal sound like too much for someone of my age/height? :/ I only ask because like I said, it seems like a lot of people on here try to stay at 1200-1500, but I don't feel like that's enough for me.

Thanks in advance! This seems like a really nice community. :)

Replies

• mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think you should listen to your body. If you are hungry, than you should definitely eat. It really boils down to what you are eating versus how much you are eating. If it is lean meats, veggies, whole grains, healthy fats and fruits you are eating, a little more when you are hungry won't hurt.
  • modelktford
    modelktford Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've definitely tried to eat better over the years since I've noticed my body is quite sensitive--and I just found out I have a genetic condition that makes eating healthier kind of a necessity! Most days involve homemade stovetop oatmeal or eggs in the mornings, I usually eat a sandwich on whole grain bread for lunch, a piece of fruit for a snack, and I cook all my dinners for my family (so I try to keep a lot of veggies and lean meats on the menu!). Some nights I do frozen bananas whipped with cocoa powder for dessert, or another piece of fruit. :) I'm not sure if that's enough, though--and like I said, I don't want to mess up my body by
    a. accidentally putting it into starvation mode
    or b. eating more than I need to and gaining weight when I just want to maintain.
  • mstjmack26
    Options
    I suggest you eat food that digest slowly before bed, so you will feel full the entire night. Some casein protein powder or foods such as cottage cheese that have casein in it will make you feel fuller longer. Do you weight train too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you are not trying to lose weight at 105 pounds.

If you are just interested in health and want to maintain, go here to figure your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE):

http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx

From the stats you gave, I put in your height, age, weight, and moderate exercise as your activity level, and came up with a TDEE of 2012. That is most likely more or less that amount you need to maintain your 105 pounds.
  • modelktford
    Options
    Hmm...not intensively. I'm still learning about working out (even though I've been doing it for a couple of years, but for awhile I just thought running on a treadmill/elliptical and doing the same five weight exercises in a row would cut it--now I'm trying to switch it up!) The weights I use are like 3 or 5 lbs, and I have one 10 lb kettlebell I use sometimes.
  • modelktford
    Options
    ^^ No, no, no. I'm not trying to lose weight at 105--but, I was obsessively weighing myself for awhile and freaking out when I went from 102 to 104 to 105--and I recognized that that was unhealthy and resurfacing disordered tendencies, so I decided to make some immediate changes (and also seek some help, but that's going to have to be a bit later.) I hid my scale and started doing workouts that made me feel challenged and that I look forward to doing every day (as opposed to feeling like I "had to" ), but now I'm overwhelmed with all the information for the correct amount to eat and what to have. I just want to get myself back in balance, I guess. If that makes sense. :/
  • mstjmack26
    Options
    Well I will just speak from my own personal experience with weight training. I am 5'10" 195lbs. I never had I problem with my weight until I got into my 30's. When I started my current job 2yrs ago my scrubs were 2xl. Now my scrubs are a medium. I eat according to my goals. I weight train about 4 days per week and do cardio too. I eat more on days I train and the days I don't, I eat until I am satisfied.
  • modelktford
    Options
    That makes sense. :)