Breakfast?

Options
I know we should eat breakfast, but I was never in a habit of eating it, not even when I was at my ideal weight.
I tried to get into the habit now - and while I can have a really nice healthy breakfast I find it that on those days I am hungrier than if I skip the breakfast alltogether.

I do try to have a healthy lunch and I save most of my calories for dinner time around 7pm (I don't eat anything after that) The reason I save my dinner calories is because I enjoy it most, I am at home, relaxing, etc....

Does anyone else not have any breakfast?
Is that going to slow down my weightloss?

Thanks!

Replies

• PlatinumPiggy
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast just coffee until it was lunch time. I think the main reason why they say eating breakfast supports weight loss is because you are less likely to get really hungry later on in the day and binge on junk food. Skipping it isn't going to make you fat.
    I also used to save most of my calories for dinner time as this is when I eat with the husband and didn't want to eat a tiny portion compared to him. My weight loss at this stage remained at 58kg's even though I was gyming and not eating more than say 1400 cals a day.
    Now I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and have an afternoon snack and have finally started shifting these last stubborn 4-5kg's which have not been coming off. I thought it was because I didn't have much to lose anyway. It took me a lot of time to adjust to smaller meals more often but now I'm not looking back. Have more energy than ever and am down to 55kg's!! I think eating breakfast kickstarts your metabolism too burning a few extra calories.

Do what works for you but maybe try eating breakfast and a smaller dinner for 2 weeks and see how it affects you. If no change go back to how you were? All you can do is try....
    I usually eat a good serving of protein and veg in the evenings and skip the carbs. If i'm still hungry I'll have another chicken breast or something and some extra veg. For those evenings when I really fancy carbs I'll have sweet potato or butternut.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast (I know, I know, its not the healthiest thing to do) I feel really ill if i try to eat anything too early. On days i work I get up at 6:30, have a snack about 10:30 - usually a yougurt and the have porridge (oatmeal) for my lunch at 12:30. I also save my calories for the evening because thats when I have the most time to really enjoy what I'm eating.
  • PlatinumPiggy
    Options
    then again-i do only eat breakfast at 10:30am, protein shake at 8am after workout and I wake up at 5:30am....
  • claireglynn
    Options
    I find it hard to eat early! I bought a smoothie maker and get 1-3 or my five a day by making fruit smoothies now. You can get aps for recipes! x
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast every day, but not right when I wake up. I normally stir around the house for 30 minutes to an hour before making something because I have no appetite whatsoever right when I get out of bed. But, I exercise before lunch and I have found that if I don't eat breakfast before exercising I am exhausted and sometimes don't have the energy to finish! So I make sure to have something. Lately I have been alternating healthy shakes with oatmeal mixed with fruit and protein powder. I use almond milk in either of the choices because it has less calories, sugar, and cholesterol than skim milk...all 3 of those is what I need to watch out for!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    as for me, i am always starving when i wake up in the morning! i dunno why... but i always want something bad like a breakfast sandwhich from anywhere.. but not the healthy kind of course.. like the bad stuff.. lol but i am getting better with taming my appetite and holding myself off till i am able to come on to this website to be reminded why i am trying to lose weight... Eating breakfast is (sadly) the most important meal of the day.. so eating SOMETHING is better than eating nothing at all. it helps your metabolism start and is a normal " program" for your body to follow so it wont be in starvation mode. you can rebound severly if you let that happen, but a yogurt, smoothie, anything healthy will be a great start... and take your time eating if your not hungry. no one says you need to speed eat :flowerforyou: :tongue: :noway:
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Nope! Body is the machine....needs fuel or will start to work against you! Be surprized how different you feel by 10 am if you eat breakfest!:wink:
  • jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    "THEY" say that by eating breakfast you boost your metabolism, that's why you feel hungrier through out the day. I eat around 9 am and I usualy have a Special K Vanilla Crisp breakfast bar (90 calories), or a banana. Then I eat lunch around 11 ish - then have another snack in the afternoon, then I eat dinner around 6ish.....so far so good!
  • onebadrg
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast and when I did it was Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, Crispy Hash browns , calories calories calories, fats, fats, fats.

Now I eat breakfast every day and it is the same thing. Yes to some boring but I have found after 11 months my body graves my breakfast if I don't eat it. When I do I feel so much better, if you think about it you want to burn those food calories throughout the day and eating a good breakfast allows your body to start burning those calories.

Eating larger Lunches and Dinners cuts down on the ability to burn all of those calories.

I will be opening up my food intake for you to look at so yo can see what I eat.

Breakfast

Two Pieces of Oroweat Toast, Double Fiber or 100% Wheat
    5-6 Egg Whites cracked from the eggs.

Shake: One Banana
    14-16 Ounces of Fat Free Milk
    1-2 Scoops of Protein Supplement.

Another Piece of Fruit
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    There's all sorts of opinion out there about what to eat when. Really, there's no consensus. Some data says you should eat mini meals throughout the day, some data says people do better on 3 meals per day, then some people day we should do one meal like our wild ancestors...

You'll have to figure out what works best. I personally don't think you should forgo eating purposefully and you should have a little something to get your body going. I hate breakfast - mainly because I get up at 4am, get to work at 5:30am and don't want to cook. So I go to the cafeteria and their food is generally gross (like liquid eggs...ok the fresh fruit can be yummy). Anyway, so what I do is have the best protein bar I can find that fits into my nutritional goals (around 5:30/6am) and then I'll venture down to the caf and get some fruit and turkey sausage (@about 9am). Eat lunch earlier...stuff like that...so I don't end up feeling ravenous later. (that's where I do my dietary damage)

So, that's my story. See what is working for you and if something isn't working the way it should (like if you feel crabby or a little spacey, tired, lethargic, etc) maybe eat more earlier in the day. Remember your body does need fuel to function and nutrients. :)
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i have always been a breakfast eater, but i also was hungry two hours later. I mean starving! I have found though that when i eat something with plenty of protein and fiber that i don't get so hungry. I am typically a 3 meal a day eater, but I think it is actually better to eat smaller meals. It gets your metabolism going and you burn more calories throughout the day. I also like to eat more in the evening, but that also is not the best for me with weightloss as I am slowing down that time of day. I hate to eat a big meal and possibly a bed time snack then hit the sack. I definitely do better with breakfast, but a bowl of regular cereal doesn't do it for me. Gotta have something besides carbs. I think the key is the protein and fiber that staves off hunger before lunch or mornig snack. Just my opinion. You gotta find what works for you.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i never ate breakfast before - only coffee until lunchtime, now ive cut out caffeine ive found im awake earlier so can sit down and have a bowl of porridge before work, it does make me hungry again by 10am despite adding protien shake in it but i have a snack then (almonds or rice cakes or something) to see me till lunch and the weight is definately shifting off since eating brekkie so there must be some truth in the metabolism thing! :)
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Based on all the replies I got so far - I think I will start having a protein rich breakfast and see what happens!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I always start my day with breakfast, usually a bowl of oatmeal. I know, boring and blah, but it doesn't have to be. 2/3 cup of dry quick oats, 1 cup of 2% milk, microwave for 2 minutes. I start a pot of coffee and my oatmeal before i jump in the shower, and the coffe is done and the oatmeal is cool enough to eat when i'm ready . I add cinnamon(zero calories) and a half tablespoon of honey(60 calories) to make it taste good. 330 calories, and i'm good 'till noon.
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Not much of a breakfast eatter. I have always found that I don't get hungry until I eat something. I can go til about 1PM before I get hungry, but once I eat, I have to keep eatting. Although I don't like to eat breakfast, I realize that studies say that it is important to eat breakfast, so after my morning walk, I will have a Starbucks Mocha Energy drink. I love coffee, and it satifies my coffee taste. So if I drink my Mocha around 9:30, I am good to go till 1:00. I did do body for life one time, which is where you eat every 2 - 3 hours. You eat a protein, and carb at every meal, and add vegetables in 3 meals. That's not all BFL is, but it worked. Anyway like everyone else says, you have to find what works best for you!
  • tigerrohr1969
    Options
    I don't like to eat breakfast, but have learned how important it is with this program...I have found "Quakers Instant Oatmeal ""Weight Control"" Maple and Brown Sugar" it is only 160 calories..sometime I mix breakfast up alittle with Wheat English Muffins and Peanut Butter....and of course my coffee and water.....I am still sort of new to this program but I am loosing #'s
    Hope this helps
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast. I eat a small breakfast now. I find it does help me lose weight.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i put 50g of raspberries in with my porridge (readybrek) and protein powder and milk this morning before i put it in the microwave - made it taste like it had jam in it nom nom nom :)
  • marielw
    marielw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I never used to have breakfast, but i make sure i have it every day now. If i miss a day (usually at the weekend) i find that i am absolutely starving by about 10am. I usually have either weetabix or some muesli with low fat natural yogurt.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I usually do smoothies or a muffin (little and low-cal) from Trader Joe's. I guess everyone's mileage may vary, but my weight loss goes into a total tailspin if I skip. Even if I'm under my calorie goals. For me at least eating breakfast = more weight loss.

For me the whole "I can't..." thing is like the "I'm a picky eater..." thing. If you tell yourself that, that's what's going to happen. I'm so thankful my parents MADE me try things at least once. It's a rule I still apply to myself. I can't say I don't like something until I've tried it. Are there things I won't eat? Sure. But because I had the guts to TRY some things, I can almost always find things to eat wherever I am. YOU have the power to make the choice.