Body fat while breastfeeding

Options
Hi I've just weighed my self and used analysing body fat scales..... My bmi was 26.5 and my fat percentage was 35.7% my water was low 46.3! I was wondering if it was so high due to my unhealthy chocolate filled diet or if it was breastfeeding related...or is it just a indicator I'm still over weight? I'm 36 and the baby is 39 weeks ;)

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Those scales aren't very accurate. You would probably get more accurate results using a digital caliper.

I wouldn't pay much attention to what that scale tells you.

Your body fat % will be high on a chocolate filled diet. Having a baby will do that to you as well.
  • Gunnerslove
    Gunnerslove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sound really thick now :o but does it really matter if a person does have a higher body fat percentage? When they are still losing weight ? And What are the health benefits of being in the 'healthy body fat range' Thanks :)
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant and breastfeeding I supported a chocolate-bar-a-day habit, lol.

Breastfeeding mothers prioritize hydration toward milk production. If you are not sufficiently hydrated your body will direct water to milk production first, which is why it is so easy for breastfeeding mums to get dehydrated (and why nursing makes you feel so thirsty!).

I wouldn't worry so much about body fat and stick to your weight and height. Eat at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight, but keep in mind that your TDEE will be higher because you are breastfeeding and that does consume extra calories (there is debate over exactly how many calories, but a common number is 500).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Hi I've just weighed my self and used analysing body fat scales..... My bmi was 26.5 and my fat percentage was 35.7% my water was low 46.3! I was wondering if it was so high due to my unhealthy chocolate filled diet or if it was breastfeeding related...or is it just a indicator I'm still over weight? I'm 36 and the baby is 39 weeks ;)

the milk in your breasts would probably affect how that machine works, especially if it's a hand-held one as it measures how easily a current is conducted through your body, and milk in the breasts would change that. Those scales are not accurate at all. Calipers are better, although it takes a lot of practice to use them correctly. Best thing is to measure your bf% more than one way, and if they all give a similar number, it's probably close to the truth, if they give wildly different numbers, then you'll know that some of them must be inaccurate. Also, look in the mirror and do comparisons with people at known body fat percentages. Leigh Peele's website has info about that.
  • Gunnerslove
    Gunnerslove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I guess I should just worry about losing a lb a week and the fat percentage will take care of its self... Was a little concerned about the water percentage due to breastfeeding... But it makes sense that the electrode won't travel through milk like water!!! I might go to the drs and get them to use those callipers on me :/ if they offerer that service!!