Can't do a lot of Push-up help?

Options
So today was my first day of P90x I've worked out in the gym for a while but got bored so I needed something different.

So I chose to get P90x and Body Beast. Today I did chest and back I did not have push up bars because I don't have wrist issues I used my hands and dummbells.

Anyway while Tony was cranking out 30 plus I was only getting about 8 or 10 I'm an ectomorph so I'm just doing the weight lifting workouts and skipping cardio also I will be buying a weighted vest after christmas.

Any tips on how to get better at them? Without giving up at 8 or 10?

I just get burned out at 8 or 10 I'm going my speed though.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can drop to your knees or find something that raises your hands higher, like a step or a coffee table.
  • fernmeister
    Options
    Do pushups at different angles, like wider and more narrow and always go to failure.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I did a 30 day squat challenge. You start off doing like 40 and gradually increase. It worked so well that I use that method to increase all my exercises. I started with 2 sets of 5 push-ups. Then when that was easy enough I went to 6 and 5... Just gradually increased. I can now do 15 (10 and then 5)
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Drop to your knees and don't turn put your elbows as that adds stress to your shoulders.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Depending on what your goals are, 10 - 15 bodyweight push-ups per set are fine for strength development so long as the last few are reaching failure. Any more than 15 and you are developing stamina rather than strength.

Maybe do more sets instead of working on higher reps. Then find a way to make the push-ups more intense rather than building numbers - closer hand spacing as has been suggested or elevating the feet, but staying in a lower rep range if strength is your goal.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Do them in a ladder format. Example...
    Do 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, then 6, then 7, then 8, then 9 and then 10... then work your way back down in reverse. You just did 100 and you will not feel like you did 100. I caution you not to train to failure all the time... Once in a while is a good thing to test your one set max. But for me, when you train to failure you train to fail.

You could also do it like this if it is too hard...
    Do 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 1, then 2, then 3, then 1, then 2, then 1 (that is 20 reps in total)... repeat that sequence 4 more times for a total of 5 sets. That is 100 pushups. I do this all the time to increase my pull-up strength. Great way to add volume whilst not knocking yourself out too much.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    But for me, when you train to failure you train to fail.

- wise words to anyone, thank you.

I like your ladders approach - I'm going to apply this to my pull-ups I'm working on.
  • GBPack93
    Options
    Instead of sets google the "grease the groove" method. You basically do a max set of pushups 3 times a day when your fully rested. Something like in the morning, at noon/midday, and before bed. I found this helped better than doing a couple sets at once.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Anything by Pavel Tsatsouline is killer.
  • DenialTwister
    Options
    Gonna give that ladder method a shot. Nice one!
  • KerrieJane86
    KerrieJane86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There are also 30 day push-up challenges online :)

It works in the ladder format but some days are repeats and there are "days off"

If you have an iPhone,iPad, iPod there is a free app.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    http://hundredpushups.com/ I've done this, twice. By the end I was able to do almost 200 pushups (in sets, not in a row)