Lifting/Strength Training After Surgery

Options
I had a total hysterectomy at the end of July and so am almost four months post op. I have recovered well physically from the surgery but am still having hormonal issues which unfortunately lead to bone pain after too much exertion (working on this - desperate to get this sorted!). Anyway, I'm walking plenty and have started to swim and bike gently. However, what I really want to do is develop strength. I've seen so many inspiring posts of women who've started lifting and I want to be one of them!! Is there anyone out there who has had success with lifting after major surgery, in particular a hysterectomy? My surgeon has told me I don't have any weight lifting restrictions (but he was talking in daily life, I didn't ask about this at the time) and I know I'll have to start slow (if I'm able to start at all). I have the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Is this a good place to start? Any thoughts much appreciated. I'm 35.

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    NROLFW is a great start I understand but I would get confirmation from your surgeon before picking anything heavy up.
  • snowcoon
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I doubt my surgeon will be much help re this but I will ask.

Anyone else have any insight?
  • jplosingit
    jplosingit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't have any insight, but will be eager to find out what you learn. I am three weeks post op for a total abdominal hysterectomy, so have at least three weeks to go before I can start lifting anything. Wanting to start then, even if low weights.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy (with bilateral salpingectomy, not oopherectomy) six months ago. The surgeon cleared me for all physical activity just two weeks post-op. I said really, anything? Running? Weight lifting? Combat training? And she insisted yes, anything. She was right, of course. I resumed weight machines in the gym about 3-4 weeks post-op and started free weights three months post-op. Absolutely no problems at all related to the surgery. I'm deadlifting my body weight. Also running a bit - I ran my first 5k ever about six weeks ago.

Abdominal surgery would require longer recovery time, of course. I've had one of those too (about a 3-inch pubic hairline incision) and no problems resulting. Back then, I did Pilates mat, not heavy lifting - not because of doctor's orders, that was just the kind of exercise I was familiar with.

ETA: Ask your surgeon. That's important.
  • ColleenCozzi
    ColleenCozzi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I just turned 37 this year. In the 2012 summer I had a bilateral mastectomy, spent last year going through chemo and radiation and had reconstructive surgery in aug of this year. I got a personal trainer and started strength training very slowly and lightly about 6 weeks post op. I see him once a week and we have gradually increase the weights and intensity. I was very aware of my "limitations" because of surgery and medical issue, but honestly as I got stronger it seemed like the limitations were more mental than physical. My trainer would push me to got a little further than I thought I could and would be scared and nervous, but ultimately was physically about to do it. I try to get at least one or two other workouts on my own and I still have some mental blocks, but it has helped a ton to have someone there to push me and make sure I am in proper form. I can not believe how far I have come in a year. Working out has been so helpful in recovering from my cancer treatment, both in mind and body. Good luck with your recovery.
  • snowcoon
    Options
    Thanks all. Only just seen theses replies - sorry! Whitebalance you give me hope :-) and -wow Colleen - great to hear you're doing so well. Encouraging stuff!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I have the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Is this a good place to start? Any thoughts much appreciated. I'm 35.

I would read this book right up until it starts talking about the actual workout and diet plan. Then put it down and read Starting Strength.

This is, of course, after getting clearance from your doc to do compound barbell work.

I have a dear friend who just had a partial hysterectomy a few weeks ago and has already started training for Tough Mudder.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Just talk to the surgeon about it. If he tells you to "not go too heavy" ask a follow up question of why. If his answer is surgery specific, then take it easy. If it's some bro science about it being bad for you (some doctors still believe that lifting 80%+ of your 1RM is somehow unhealthy), then ignore it and lift.