Lurker coming forward/Question about hysterectomy

Options
Hi everyone...
I have lurked around these discussion boards for a long time and find them so motivating.
I am getting ready to have a radical hysterectomy in a few weeks....
Everything is going to be removed: uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, cervix.
I found out I will not be on HRT after the surgery.
I still have more weight to lose and I am terrified I am going to regain the weight I have lost already due to lack of exercise and sudden change in hormones.
Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent weight gain after surgery?
I would love to lose any additional 40 pounds.
Thank you soooo much for your encouraging posts!
-Thisismytime
:-)

Replies

• sfhudgens
    sfhudgens Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    How was your surgery? Mine is coming up in a week. I am nervous.
    Just wondering how everything has gone so far :flowerforyou:
  • jplosingit
    jplosingit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ladies, how did your surgeries go? I am three weeks post-op and would love other post-op encouragers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jplosingit: if you don't hear back from the original posters, check out this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group

There are a number of women who've had hysterectomies there.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    HI everyone :) I had my hysterectomy in March so I can offer some feedback. I gained about 25-30 lbs following the surgery. In part that was because I can't exercise the way that most people can and I had some complications during the procedure. I too lost everything but was able to keep one ovary. I think that for the most part the weight gain was due to hormonal changes and bed rest. That said, I have been watching my calories for 1 month and am down 5 lbs so it is possible to lose the weight even after the surgery. I am not exercising for a couple of reasons, one of them being that I have been experiencing abdominal pain in the surgical sites and don't want to do any damage so am waiting to see my doctor to get the go ahead to do things.