How good is walking?

Options
I am wondering if I can expect to see ANY results from walking?

I was going to do the 30 day shred program but turns out my bum knee and my *totally* wrecked should don't appreciate that. At all.

I have a treadmill that does an incline up to 10% I think...should I expect to see any results if I were to do that for 20-30 minutes a day?

I feel like I am "suppose" to do aerobics but the reality is, especially in the winter, my messed up joints do not approve.

Replies

• kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much all I do is walk! I started by walking around the block at work on my break time, starting at 1 and working our way up to 3 or 4 (depending on time). Now I'm doing that plus taking my dogs out for longer in the morning and at night.

In a day I'm racking up 45 min + just from walking!

Now I haven't done any measurements since starting but I am one pant size smalled, my joints feel good (i have bad knees), and I've lost 8lbs in 2 months!

Walking. Is. GREAT! :flowerforyou:
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Check out this board topic to see some dramatic results of walking and improved nutrition...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130814-finally-broke-300

Dave
  • chera325
    chera325 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    OMG yes you will see results!! I lost 30 lbs in one summer just by walking briskly for 30-45 mins a day! The goal is to walk as quickly as possible, without actually jogging. Similarly, research shows that interval training, even walking at different paces, will get you the quickest results!

Good luck :)
  • CaitJoy
    CaitJoy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Walking is paramount - it is literally what your body was built to do. Take AT LEAST 10,000 steps a day!
  • mrsdonaheღ
    Options
    Walking is AWESOME!!! It puts you in an awesome state of mind (great stress reliever) and you will see/feel results. I heart walking. Its my absolute favorite!
  • twnzmom
    twnzmom Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I started MFP Sept. 16th and as of Halloween I walked 55 miles, I do a half hour pilates class every wednesday and occassionally will do 30 minutes of pilates at home. I have lost 17 pounds during this time. I weigh tomorrow and I am hoping for another 2 pounds. It is good for you physically and mentally.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree, I love walking!!! :heart: It has been my main form of exercise...then usually once a week I will do some type of aerobic or circuit type work out for something different.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill and out side you will loose the weight. I worked with a professional bodybuilder he never ran just walked. He told me if I wanted to lose the body fat then walk as hard as I could for the first 20 minutes bc it takes that long for the body to use up the glycogen (carbs) then slow my pace down where I could talk normal I should be able to say "the cow jumped over the moon," with ease, after that you will be burning fat. It works for me.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Walking is a fabulous exercise at every level; and depending on the intensity and the variety of terrain you walk on, you will see tons of results. You can Count on it :bigsmile: