Fat intake

Options
My fat intake has been a little high lately. Some from good things (almonds, nut butters, coconut milk) but mostly from added butter while cooking (Darn it thanksgiving! I never cook with butter) sweets, yogurts, cream cheese and an order of fries last night (the fries I get once a week, almost every week). I have been working out as well. So far today, ive consumed around 70 grams of fat (that's for breakfast and lunch) . Is a high fat intake bad? I know you need fat, but I was told that the optimum for me would be 40-60 grams per day. Somedays I'm sure its more, maybe less, who cares? But what will the higher fat intake do? If anything? I'm just trying to shape up a bit, I don't have s significant amount of weight to lose, but id like to lower my body fat percentage. Thanks!

Replies

• RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat. But as long as the majority is from healthy sources, I don't think it's a problem.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    Stay in your calorie range, get enough protein.

Fats won't make you fat, and you need them - I've been getting about 50% of my cals from fat for a couple years and I'm maintaining just fine. Fats help you stay satiated and help regulate hormones. Nothing to fear.
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Eating high fat quantities won't necessarily be a problem, it's when you mix it with carbs that it can all go wrong.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Eating high fat quantities won't necessarily be a problem, it's when you mix it with carbs that it can all go wrong.
    tell me more, please
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem. Saturated fat is the one you need to keep an eye on, though it's unlikely you're consuming too much of that.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

No. Going over your calorie goal is when it goes wrong.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My fat intake is ALWAYS over 100. Fat is not the enemy. In fact, my eating plan encourages it because it's low carb.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    you need fat, make sure it's not hydrogenated. check out the benefits of coconut oil.
  • CptJinxx
    CptJinxx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Regarding weight control, fat is OK as long as it fits your daily calorie and other macronutrients limits, especially protein, of course.

As for optimal health, try to let good fat sources make up to ~80% of your total fat intake.

I try to get enough mono and poly , avocados, eggs, olive oil, nuts, and indulge in some cheese/ice cream/chocolate to make up for the rest.

Optimum is a MINIMUM of 0.4 ~ 0.45 grams of total fat intake per pound of body weight.
  • Eat lean protein
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Regarding weight control, fat is OK as long as it fits your daily calorie and other macronutrients limits, especially protein, of course.

As for optimal health, try to let good fat sources make up to ~80% of your total fat intake.

I try to get enough mono and poly , avocados, eggs, olive oil, nuts, and indulge in some cheese/ice cream/chocolate to make up for the rest.

Optimum is 0.4 ~ 0.45 grams of total fat intake per pound of body weight.

^this. my fat and protein goals are minimums. just try to stay away from trans fats.