running shoe sadness

Options
Recently I've been having issues with calf pain while running. Here is my sneaker history-

Nikes (size 9.5) (gave away) - can't remember which ones :/ I had these up until this June. I don't remember them giving me any problems when I ran (treadmill or road) but I gave them away. Also keep in mind I've never been a very good runner.

Nike Free (size 9.5) - I think this is where I made my mistake. I bought these at a department store because they were pretty.... dumb I know. I couldn't run for more than .25 miles before getting horrible throbbing pains in the soles of my feet and the outer sides of my calves. The pain would go away as soon as I was able to sit down.

Nike Lunar glide (size 10) (returned) - These felt a little better than the frees, but my calves still really hurt

Nike Air pegasus (Size 10)- I took a quiz on road runner sports and they recommended this shoe. This one is the best I've tried so far but it still give me the calf issues when running on the road. I'm completely fine while on a treadmill.

Women's ASIC GEL-Nimbus 15 (Size 10.5)- So I went to a specialty running store and was told I supinate slightly and have a normal arch, they recommended these. They felt nice in the store. I'm a size 9 in my left food and a 9.5 in my right so I was surprised when they said I should get a 10.5. After running in these once on a treadmill I realize this wasn't a good choice. I should def stick to a 10. On the treadmill these really hurt the bottom of my foot and my calves were fine.

SOOOO anyway (sorry for making you read the life history of my foot) - I think I'm gonna return the Asics and keep the Air pegasus, even though they're not perfect. My read question is - do you think I messed up my legs/feet with the nike frees, or are my legs just not used to the impact of road running?

Thanks!

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You should go to a running shoe store where they analyze your gait and tell you what type it is (neutral, over pronate, subinate). This will tell you what type of running shoe you need, as different models are made for different gaits. Then, it's a matter of trying on different brands and models to see what works best for you.

You may have strained your calf some, but as long as you get the proper running shoe, that should go away. The main thing is you have to know what gait you have so you can get the proper shoe. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • SshQL
    SshQL Posts: 5
    Options
    Nike Free running shoes are marketed as 'minimal' running shoes, which could explain your issues. If you aren't aware of your form while running in these shoes, you may experience pain in your calves/achilles. How many times/how far did you run in these? If you overdid it in these shoes, you could have pulled something, which would explain your continuing issues, even when using other shoes.

Take a few days off, and do some research in to the type of running shoe you'd like to try. Then go to a running store and discuss it with someone who is actually knowledgeable about running (as opposed to a department store employee who doesn't run!).
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    I've had the same problem as you, I've always been a Lunar Glide wearer ever since I found them, but after my last pair started to wear out, I went with the Lunar Fly's because they were cheaper (bad decision by me). They were fine after they broke in but as I kept wearing them, I noticed a lot of stiffness and joint weakness. Until I can get to a shoe store, my worn out shoes will have to do for now. Moral of the story: the wrong shoes really can make all the difference, even if you don't feel it at first.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get properly fitted and the correct shoe for you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    All the research I've seen says there is no difference in long term injury/pain rates between cheap shoes and "running store" shoes. From my experience, the more padding/foam/support/whatever in a shoe, the more likely it is to cause problems.

My go-to runners now are $25 junkies from WalMart, and I get them half a size too big.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'd look at your form. The shoes may be part of the issue but if something feels OK on a treadmill but not on the road it could be because your form is bad. The road isn't very forgiving while the treadmill provides you some cushioning.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It sounds like part of the problem may the transition from treadmill to road. When I ran my first 5K I trained almost exclusively on my treadmill and when I actually ran the race I was in agony from shin splints by the 3rd km. You running mechanics are completely different. It stands to reason that if a shoe is fine on the treadmill it should be fine on the road but you may experience some aches and pains switching over.

When making the change keep your on road runs shorter and slower than you're accustomed to and gradually build back up to what your normal distances on the treadmill would be.