OMG, My Sugar Intake!

Options
Has anyone else been surprised by their sugar intake? I just started MFP this morning, and in my first recorded meal, I've already gone beyond my daily sugar limit. I had the same breakfast yesterday, but add to that about 5X the sugar, and you've got yesterday's intake.

I'm not even sure what I'm going to do to cut down on sugar, but one thing's for sure: today's breakfast, which I've been eating every morning, forever, is out. Bleh.

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    What is your daily limit? MFP doesn't differentiate between sugars I believe. If you have proper fruit for breakfast, one would think you are ok. On the other hand if you are having a mocha and muffin, different story.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else been surprised by their sugar intake? I just started MFP this morning, and in my first recorded meal, I've already gone beyond my daily sugar limit. I had the same breakfast yesterday, but add to that about 5X the sugar, and you've got yesterday's intake.

I'm not even sure what I'm going to do to cut down on sugar, but one thing's for sure: today's breakfast, which I've been eating every morning, forever, is out. Bleh.
    I do not track sugar at all and it hasn't affected my weight loss one bit. Track something more relevant like fiber instead and save yourself unneccessary aggravation. :flowerforyou:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    MFP's limit for sugar appears to be drawn from various health organizations' recommendations for limits on _added_ sugar (sugar that doesn't occur naturally in the whole foods you are eating, or the whole foods that your processed foods are made fro, e.g., fructose in fruit, lactose in dairy, and even veggies, beans, and grains have naturally occurring sugars). Package labels and nutrient databases, which are the sources for most of MFP's nutrition information, don't distinguish between naturally occurring and added sugars. As someone said above, if most of your sugar is coming from fruit, milk, unsweetened cereal, etc., don't worry about it. If it's mostly coming from candy bars, cookies, and sweetened coffee drinks, maybe consider reducing the amount of your calorie intake allotted to those foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    OMG.....

Calm down...MFP's sugar recommendation is for added and refined sugars and is based on the WHO's recommendation. MFP doesn't distinguish between added sugars and sugars from fruit and veg. If you eat any fruit at all you will be over on sugar.

Sugar is a micro-nutrient subset of the macro-nutrient, carbohydrates. Manage your macros...don't micro manage you micros unless you have some compelling medical reason to do so...even then, you'll probably be just fine just managing your macro ratios.

Hit your calories goals first and foremost...weight loss has nothing to do with sugar, carbs, etc unless you have a medical condition. Weight loss is all about consuming less energy than your body needs to maintain weight.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't ever eat sugar as a rule. When guests come over, I have to dig through the pantry for it. I never put sugar on anything. If I want to sweeten berries or something such as that, I use stevia.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I had a banana and a TBS of creamer in my coffee and I'm AT my recommendation. The sugar they recommend as a limit should probably be for refined, added sugars like in sodas and cakes. I don't worry about the sugar if it's from fruits and vegetables. I only keep an eye on it if it's added to the food. In my mind, I'm only counting that 5 grams from the creamer.

EDIT:: And really only because diabetes is here and there in my family.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You can custom set your diary to not show a sugar column. Unless you have a medical condition where you have to track it, it's pretty pointless to keep tabs on it.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    According to my dietician, natural sugars from fruit isn't the same as from say a donut. look up Glycemic index. All sugars are not the same as all calories are not the same. Try to keep your carbs to more veggies and less pastas and simple carbs For me, the lower the glycemic load the less I am hungry or have cravings. Hope this helps.