Question about adding exercises on here and calories burned

Options
Why when you enter a weight lifting excercise does it not give you calories burned? What good is it if you dont know how many you are burning?

Do any of you have calorie counters that you can wear while you workout? do you think they are accurate?

Replies

• chera325
    chera325 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Although you do burn calories while strength training, you don't burn nearly as many as you do during cardio. The faster your heart beats, the more calories you burn. I have a heart rate monitor/watch that I wear from the beginning of my workout (strictly cardio) to the end (strength training). I then input the total amount of calories I burned into MFP exercise tracker. The only accurate way of knowing how many calories you burn, is to get a heart rate monitor. Honestly, it was a great investment because I use it daily! Mine was on sale for about $50 at Kohls.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    That's just to keep track of your reps, weight, etc. You can add it under the cardiovascular section. That's just an estimate though of calories, and I find it over estimates. I have a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor and I love it. It is definitely more accurate because it knows your heart rate and your info like weight, height, resting heart rate...definitely worth the purchase!
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just use a "weight training (general)" value of 146 calories for 30 minutes - can't remember if I found it on here or googled it, but it seems to work for me (I continue to lose weight at the same rate while figuring in those extra calories burned). I think you may be able to get a better idea if you wear a heart-rate monitor and then figure out how much you are expending based on your heart rate.
  • tmac2269
    Options
    oooh nice I'm headed to kohls to get one- 50 bucks isnt too bad! Thanks for the idea!