Help!! Too much sodium!

Options
Hey everyone,

So I'm a bit freaked out right now because my blood test came back with awful kidney results because I've been using WAY too much salt and vegetable stock on my vegetables at dinner.

Can anyone recommend alternatives eg any certain low sodium (low calorie!) alternatives I can use??
I've been using the stock and salt because there's almost no cals in them and I don't want to lose that!

Thanks everyone!!
:)

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    don't add salt ... :huh:

otherwise why don't you half the amount of salt and stock you use and when you get used to that, reduce it further until you blood test are satisfactory
  • fernmeister
    Options
    Just stick to salt, no stock, but they do have lower sodium stocks, at any grocery. And just make sure to flush out the extra salt by drinking plenty of water.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    instead of cooking in stock, cook in water. Don't add salt at the cooking phase. Add less salt at the eating phase. Add other non-salt spices.
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try steaming your veggies. It's quick (5 min or less) and then salt to taste afterwards.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Try adding a few other spices for flavoring. Pepper, powdered garlic or onion, poultry seasoning (which is mostly sage), or any of the mixed spices (Mrs. Dash brand has lots of options), that are intended for flavoring meat (Montreal steak spice, or a mix called "parmesan chicken" are both nice AND low calorie options. Experiment!
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Once you stop cooking with salt you will be surprised how quickly you get used to it and at least with home cooking you can control it.
    I like my bistro gravy granules, they have recently brought out a low salt version. More expensive and only in small tubs.
    I threw out all my oxo stock cubes there is tea spoon of salt in each one!! Herbs and spices do help and there are low sodium stock pots out there.

:flowerforyou:
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    just know,anytime you open a can you will be over in sodium. I know this all to well with my hubby's acute kidney failure.
  • cindiefrap
    Options
    try using CITRUS (lemons, limes, oranges, any kind) to flavor your veggies -
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Low sodium stock, use other herbs and spices for flavor. Garlic, fresh or dried herbs and no salt spice varieties are awesome, and liven up foods better than plain old salt anyway.

Make sure you drink plenty of water, too.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I do not cook anything with salt -- use all other spices
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    make your own stock, it's very easy.

you know those parts of vegetables that you cut up and throw away? throw those in a pot of simmering water with herbs ans spices and cook it long enough to a reduction. you might have to use a lot of veggies. im not quite sure if you're saying your vegetarian or not, but if you aren't then you can also throw in meat parts you dont eat like bones and joints.

once the liquid has simmered for a while and all the flavor from what you added has been released, just strain through a cheesecloth into a container and voila, you have your own homemade broth that you have made low sodium depending on the amount of sal you added