walking

Options
I have trouble making myself exercise even though I know I need to.

So I was thinking about going for walks in the evening to start out, maybe around the block or farther. What do you guys think? Good way to start out slow with exercise ?

Replies

• ileitch
    Options
    Yes, walking is the very best thing you can do and it may be all you need. Walk every chance you get.
  • led676
    Options
    Yes, Walking is great. Walk your neighborhood, if you have a dog walk it, park your car far away from stores and walk. Every little calorie loss helps, plus you'll see your cardio will get better.
  • resirn56
    Options
    I started walking after the 5K heart healthy walk my city did in Sept. I survived the walk then I joined a gym. I walk on treadmill for 30min, bicycle for 20min., now for about a month. I've lost 2'' just doing these 2 for a month. At the gym you are not alone.
  • leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds like a great idea. That is what I did. I started by walking every night and I set a goal on how far I wanted to go every night and then when that became easy I would walk some and then power walk some... I would power walk till I felt like I needed to rest... Then when that became easy I powered walked all of it... Then when that became easy I power walked some and ran some... when that became easy I know run the entire goal that I made for myself... Your body will tell you what is to much and not little.... Now I am working on my goal being faster and maybe longer and working on maybe a race or something like that ... But, starting how slow and working with what your body is telling you will prevent injury and it will prevent you from getting discouraged.. I find that if i listen to my body and do what it is telling me weather that means I don't do my goal that day because I am having pain or if that means i feel i should push myself a little more that day ... Keep in mind this is a lifestyle change and nothing is going to change over night so take it one day at a time one accomplishment at a time and CELABRATE EACH ACHEIVEMENT....
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I started out doing 15 minute walks - 7 minutes out, 7 minutes back. That felt really easy to do. I was like, "Hey, 7 minutes isn't a big deal." I usually would walk longer once I got out there. But sometimes I have to tell myself it's only 15 minutes or 10 minutes or whatever. I really enjoy walking once I get out there, I just have to "trick" myself into starting the walk.
  • tigger2009
    Options
    Walking is great and you get fresh air compared to being in on tredmill much better! I started in late summer with my GF twice a week during the week in AM and other weekday mornings with the dogs. I have slacked off and only doing twice a week but this week i am trying to go back to doing it 4-5 days a week even if it is on the weekend. I like it with the two dogs I have around the neighborhood as it is quiet at 5am in the morning! I am not a morning person but I make myself get up as the dogs look forward to it and the other two days I know my GF would be waiting for me! I have not canceled out with her one morning yet!
    Mornings are better i have read as it helps put more oxegen in the blood and keeps you feeling energized. But if evenings work then great! Plus, at night I am really tired so I fall right to sleep. my only problem is I like staying up later so it catches up with me sometimes!
  • resirn56
    Options
    It is so hard to go to the gym after work. I have to talk myself into going everyday. One would think after a month at 4 times a week I wouldn't need motivations. What are some excercises I can do on the days I don't go to the gym?