Chicken Sausage or Health Sausage Brand

Options
Hello!

I am trying to find a healthier chicken sausage link brand or really a healthier alternative in general doesn't have to be chicken. I like the aidells a lot, but they have too much fat. I like to make healthy spaghetti or throw in bbq'd links with my brown rice.

I live in Sacramento (Nor California). I'm thinking whole foods or costco…

help!

Thanks!

alex

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    What are your criteria for "healthy?" I like the Guy Fieri chicken sausages but I have no idea if they would suit your needs.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    Less Sodium and Fat to protein ratio - really just want to know what others are eating - I will check that brand out! :)
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    look at what I just found! http://www.shopwell.com/
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Sausage has fat because of the parts of meat it is made from. Sodium makes it taste good. It's kinda hard to get around. Even if you made your own.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    not looking for no sodium necessarily - just looking for everyone's go to….if they are eating a leaner healthier one.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Whole Foods in California but here in my locale the Whole Foods carries sausage from local ranchers that have few/no preservatives and is pastured meat with higher omega 3 content. Maybe you could look for that.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    thank you! great suggestion! I was thinking about doing a field trip to whole foods to check it out today. I'm so tired of chicken.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I get my sausage from my local butcher and it has far less preservatives than a commercial brand sausage...but sausage is a high fat food...there's really no way around that. Personally I'd just enjoy a true sausage on occasion than trying to find a substitute for something that has naturally occurring fats. If someone is making a low fat/no fat sausage you can bet it's chalk full of all kinds of other ****. Just enjoy a real sausage once in awhile. Dietary fat is an essential nutrient and dietary fat doesn't make you fat and doesn't necessarily mean you're being "unhealthy". All things in balance.
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make my own "sausage" for breakfast. Not sure it would work for cooking in dinner recipes...but you can try this recipe without the sweet stuff.

There are plenty of recipes out there to make your own turkey and chicken sausage. You just have to find one you like.

Maple Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties

Nutrition Info: 1-2onz patty

* Calories: 83.2
    * Fat: 4.0g
    * Carbohydrates: 0.8g (MIsc)
    * Protein: 11.0g

Ingredients

2.5 pounds ground turkey
    1 tablespoon Walden's Farm caramel sauce (you can use brown sugar)
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
    1 teaspoons ground thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2-3 Tablespoons Walden Farms Pancake Syrup (or any other sugar free syrup)

Directions

Mix all ingredients.

Layer a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop with 2 oz scoop and shape into patties. Cook at 400 degrees for 15 mins.

Much, much healthier than what you can buy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I eat sausage occasionally and enjoy them immensely. I generally make my own, right now I have some venison and pork with lots of fat, about 30% in them, and couldn't for the life of me consider low fat sausages.........that's like eating turkey bacon.
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've never tried making my own so anxious to try one of these recipes, but my favorite store bought brand is al fresco. I love the chicken, basil meatballs, the italian chicken sausage and the apple chicken sausge.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Can you just eat a chicken breast instead?
  • cwatts0
    cwatts0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I make my own pork sausage. Did about 150lbs last run. Its not lean, but I don't think its near 70/30. We love them ..make them twice a year. Its really not that much work either .. it turns out to be a family job.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Can you just eat a chicken breast instead?
    This is like the difference between a turkey breast and turkey sausage. Much different. The sausage is much tastier IMO.

Also bumping bc I want to know if there are any w lower sodium.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    LOVE THIS!
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    I am so burnt out on chicken breast…hence wanting to find something else. :)

working on shredded chicken dishes in the slow cooker…but chicken breast with seasoning - bleu for now.
  • achonator
    achonator Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Poke holes in the sausage to get some of the fat out when you cook it.
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-sweet-italian-sausage-mild-or-hot/

This looks good and easy. Made with ground turkey...a much healthier choice.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Turkey sausages are pretty good but can be a bit dry since they're quite lean. But honestly, sausages aren't exactly a low fat food. Why sacrifice taste for a few less grams of fat?
  • sugarmomma3
    Options
    I eat turkey everything. Turkey bacon, sausage, ham, kielbasi. Johnsonville is a good brand or fit and active(Aldi's brand) any turkey based anything is lower in sodium fat and cals.