Is it ok to indulge on one day for one meal?

Options
So, while trying to lose weight, is it ok to indulge one day, for one meal? For example, I ate well last week, worked out, and on Sunday I wanted a burger and fries and a soda, and I went for it. I had cereal and 2% milk for a late breakfast and the burger was a late lunch/early dinner, so I wasn't hungry the rest of the day and at the end of the day I didn't go over my recommended calories. So my question is, is it ok to do this while trying to lose weight? Or should I wait until the weight I want off is off and then I can do this? Any suggestions Thanks! :)

Replies

• jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    NO
  • hunterzmomma
    Options
    if you didn't go over your calories then I don't see what the problem is! I eat whatever I want but just stay in the calorie limit and it's definitely working for me!
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think indulging every now and then is good - might help avoid serious cravings that result in binges, which are definitely bad. As long as you're under your calorie goal I don't see what's wrong with that! Good job!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    If it is ok with YOU, then it is ok. I cheat once in a while because it keeps me on track the rest of the time. I feel like I'm not completely depriving myself 100% of the time.

No one holding you accountable except yourself so do what works. :wink:
  • ttungttung
    Options
    I think indulging every now and then is good - might help avoid serious cravings that result in binges, which are definitely bad. As long as you're under your calorie goal I don't see what's wrong with that! Good job!

This.
  • laurenbausch
    Options
    Absolutely! You have to or else you will feel some serious deprivation!!! Just don't do it all the time!!!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all those that think you have to be under your limit every day. The fact is, a wild day now and thing can be a good thing. It lets your body know it not having to worry about food. The problem with most people is, they don't stay with just one day over a long period they figure, if one didn't hurt then the next one won't and then the next and so forth.

I heard a nice saying on "Fat 2 Fit" radio podcast a few days ago. "Don't worry about what you eat Thanksgiving through Christmas, but worry about what you eat from Christmas to Thanksgiving." Life too short to give up every pleasure every day.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine and stops me from binge eating it I don't feed the craving a little bit. There is also theory that eating a bigger meal/even going over your calories once in a while is good because it revs your metabolism back up/keeps your body guessing. Google "calorie cycling" for ideas to eat the same amount of calories for the week, but more or less on different days.
  • jewahdenny
    Options
    Yes......if you don't cheat(treat yourself) every once in a while you will go crazy....I had my first burger and fries in two months on Saturday and it was Awesome.

Denny
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Its more than OK, this isn't a DIET this is a life style, your calorie restriction will change when you get to your goal, but you should never completely DEPRIVE yourself of anything or at some point you will give up, and if you do make it to your goal you will return to the old ways. I've lost almost 80 pounds, i've had cake ice cream fast food, drinks sodas every thing on the typical "don't" list, i've had its in moderation and its not every or every week. Its life. and making in the big picture smart and healthy choices.
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    a free meal with a workout that day wont hurt you... a free day will....so I say sensible 1 to 2 free meals a week have worked for me. My cheat meals usually fall under 6-700 calories.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You have to remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So if you are never going to eat fast food again, then don't eat it. However, if you are like MOST people and are going to have the OCCASIONAL indulgence, then do so. :laugh: There is no point in withholding everything towards some future day or weight. I have learned to eat in moderation, so that the days I do indulge, it is not a complete overload. There will always be choices. Most days, I aim to be within 100 calories of my goal, over or under. Once in a while I will go a couple hundred over or under, just to keep things from getting to settled.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Its more than OK, this isn't a DIET this is a life style, your calorie restriction will change when you get to your goal, but you should never completely DEPRIVE yourself of anything or at some point you will give up, and if you do make it to your goal you will return to the old ways. I've lost almost 80 pounds, i've had cake ice cream fast food, drinks sodas every thing on the typical "don't" list, i've had its in moderation and its not every or every week. Its life. and making in the big picture smart and healthy choices.

I completely agree with this sentiment. It's a lifestyle that you are changing, not a temporary thing. Enjoy your occasional splurge!
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If it is ok with YOU, then it is ok. I cheat once in a while because it keeps me on track the rest of the time. I feel like I'm not completely depriving myself 100% of the time.

No one holding you accountable except yourself so do what works. :wink:

I totally agree with this post :-)
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I don't see what's so wrong with a burger and fries anyway, especially if you are under your calories. The ingredients aren't particularly bad for you, its more the way its cooked - particularly the fries. I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said - go for it! Enjoy!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    It is actually recommended to have ONE cheat meal a week, it helps wake up your metabolism and burns more calories. Just like muscle confusion in your workouts. You need to confuse your stomach as well. Once a week is a good thing. :bigsmile:
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Not sure why, but when I occasionally indulge I always seem to lose weight the next day. Last Friday I indulged and skipped my regular lunch for a brownie of all things! I just had to have it! When I weighed in the next morning I had finally broke the 1 1/2 week plateau that I had been on and was down 1.6 pounds! That being said, I was still within my calories for the day.
  • mendy07
    Options
    That's more or less what I was thinking, I just didn't know if having one cheat meal a week would affect me in the long run! :) I guess not as long as I'm steadily losing it. Thanks all!